• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carried in Maryland today

ijusam

imported post

I went into Elkton today. On my strong side I was wearing an Uncle Mike' s OWB sidekick loaded with the only weapon Maryland allows me to protect myself with... my cell phone.

I hope when I am over there people will ask about the cell phone in the holster, so I can tell them that in my home state I can carry a gun to protect myself but when visiting Maryland I have to carry a cell phone so I can tell the ambulance where to come.

WV XD Guy

imported post

Thats why I avoid Maryland. Although I grew up there and spent over twenty years there, I have no desire to go back. I was there when the had the so called "snipers", I had to go through one of the many checkpoints they had set up then. Where I proceded to have rifles pointed at me. To make matters worse, they found a single loose shotgun shell (Left over from the range the previous weekend). I spent about 20 minutes in cuffs until they realized that no law had been broken. Maryland is definetely no picnic for gun enthusiasts.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

ijusam wrote:
I went into Elkton today. On my strong side I was wearing an Uncle Mike' s OWB sidekick loaded with the only weapon Maryland allows me to protect myself with... my cell phone.

I hope when I am over there people will ask about the cell phone in the holster, so I can tell them that in my home state I can carry a gun to protect myself but when visiting Maryland I have to carry a cell phone so I can tell the ambulance where to come.
That is horrible, sounds like Illinois for me!

Anybody ask you why?

Oh, and in case you were wondering, if you get the drop on em fast enough, and you use speed dial, you might give the attacker brain cancer if you can keep them on the line long enough...
:p

ijusam

imported post

openryan wrote:
That is horrible, sounds like Illinois for me!

Anybody ask you why?
Not yet, I don't have to go into Maryland often, but when I do I am hoping someone will ask and I can start them thinking. Maryland needs change but I don't hold much hope for their future.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Every little thing you can do will help. Unfortunately, it seems most the people I know in Maryland are not that concerned they have no rights left. They just want to be able to hunt, and aren't going to put up a fight until someone takes that right away to. Maryland is unbelievably liberal.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

ijusam wrote:

HAH! Outstanding!

MD_Tim

West of Winchester Va, and Baltimore City
imported post

Yes, you need a MD CCW to OC in MD. I assume, since your permit is granted at the discretion of the MD State Police, you won't be OCing for long:)

As a MD resident I do avail myself of "Delaware Tax Free Shopping", and with a FL CCW, I do carry in DE.

echo6tango

imported post

I OC or CC in every State that I go to...I just don't do it in the State that I live in...you know, the place that I actually REALLY should :banghead:. When in Maryland, I obediently line up with the rest of the sheep in the slaughter line :cry:. Someone will protect me right? Don't my tax dollars pay for someone to protect me? All rhetorical questions...I know the real answers.

John Rogers

imported post

I live in Elkton, MD. MD is a pain to get a handgun permit. I have a FL which covers me in the by standing states. I just had my interview at the state police barracks today for my md permit. Seem to go good. Can't wait to hear if I get it or not.

echo6tango

imported post

John Rogers wrote:
I live in Elkton, MD. MD is a pain to get a handgun permit. I have a FL which covers me in the by standing states. I just had my interview at the state police barracks today for my md permit. Seem to go good. Can't wait to hear if I get it or not.
That's awesome, I wish you luck! Be sure to post any updates.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

John Rogers wrote:

I can see it now.... 'insufficient cause shown to issue permit-APPLICATION DENIED'

John Rogers

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
John Rogers wrote:

I can see it now.... 'insufficient cause shown to issue permit-APPLICATION DENIED'
I'll keep you all updated. Figure I would give it a try and see what happens. Several officers told me I had a good chanceat getting it. I own several rentals so I handle cash. I am also I realtor and I know some realtors that have received handgun permits from maryland. Will see what happens

fritz_monroe

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Every little thing you can do will help. Unfortunately, it seems most the people I know in Maryland are not that concerned they have no rights left. They just want to be able to hunt, and aren't going to put up a fight until someone takes that right away to. Maryland is unbelievably liberal.

Unfortunately you are dead on with this. I don't even have a handgun (yet) and it disgusts me that nobody is concerned that only the bad guys are carrying. But as someone else said, my taxes pay for someone to protect me, right?

glocknroll

imported post

All of my in-laws live in Maryland. These people are incredibly naive. They sincerely believe that Maryland's draconian gun laws make them safer. Since they obey the laws, or at least the ones that make sense to them, they think that making guns illegal will stop people from carrying guns. When you tell them about Maryland's high crime rate, they just bury their heads in the sand. Fortunately for them, they all have money and can afford to live in Calvert County, where the crime rate is unusually low for Maryland, so they don't see the problem first hand. As long as it is someone else's problem, they can continue to pretend it doesn't exist.

echo6tango

imported post

John Rogers wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
John Rogers wrote:

I'll keep you all updated. Figure I would give it a try and see what happens. Several officers told me I had a good chanceat getting it. I own several rentals so I handle cash. I am also I realtor and I know some realtors that have received handgun permits from maryland. Will see what happens
Those two words red and bolded above just might get you that permit after all. No one seems tolisten when the justification is "simply" self defense or protect my family, but you start talking about protecting business and money and ears will open up. People can be replaced, but business and money is worthy of defense. There's a guy over at progunprogressive.com that went through some serious hurdles to finally obtain a permit, up to and including life-threatening hurdles.

I still wish you luck! If you do end up with a permit, there will be one less sheep to the slaughter in Maryland:D

echo6tango

imported post

glocknroll wrote:
All of my in-laws live in Maryland. These people are incredibly naive. They sincerely believe that Maryland's draconian gun laws make them safer. Since they obey the laws, or at least the ones that make sense to them, they think that making guns illegal will stop people from carrying guns. When you tell them about Maryland's high crime rate, they just bury their heads in the sand. Fortunately for them, they all have money and can afford to live in Calvert County, where the crime rate is unusually low for Maryland, so they don't see the problem first hand. As long as it is someone else's problem, they can continue to pretend it doesn't exist.
It's only a matter of time before Calvert County is engulfed. There won't be any pretending after that. In the past 8 years, I've watched the wave of crime slowly but surely move south from PG County into Charles County. I remember when this place used to be quiet. Now we have armed carjackings in the driveways of half-million dollar homes, armed robberies in the mall parking lot in broad daylight, etc, etc, etc...But then again, I know quite a few folks around here that are shocked when there's another violent crime around here. "How'd this happen? Must be an isolated incident." Yeah, isolated like the last 30 isolated incidents...

The house is on the market and my sights are set on going back home to Va!

echo6tango

imported post

Conundrum wrote:
Someone mentioned on another online forum that we should all start wearing empty holsters in MD as a protest.
Openly carrying a holster in MD?! That's just insanity...and could easily be construed as to allow reasonable suspicion for a thourough searching :D.

"Hey, what's with the holster? You got a holster permit?"

"But there's no gun in my holster, I'm just trying to make a statement about..."

"But it has the ability to carry a gun, so it must be dangerous."

kohburn

imported post

lol - yeah that holster shows "intent"

i like the idea though, the cellphone holster. not just a fashion statement, a political statement. maybe i shoud get the NRA's "i'm a BITTER gun owner and I VOTE" shirt to go along with it.