Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open carried in Maryland today

Post imported post

I went into Elkton today. On my strong side I was wearing an Uncle Mike' s OWB sidekick loaded with the only weapon Maryland allows me to protect myself with... my cell phone.

I hope when I am over there people will ask about the cell phone in the holster, so I can tell them that in my home state I can carry a gun to protect myself but when visiting Maryland I have to carry a cell phone so I can tell the ambulance where to come.

Post imported post

Thats why I avoid Maryland. Although I grew up there and spent over twenty years there, I have no desire to go back. I was there when the had the so called "snipers", I had to go through one of the many checkpoints they had set up then. Where I proceded to have rifles pointed at me. To make matters worse, they found a single loose shotgun shell (Left over from the range the previous weekend). I spent about 20 minutes in cuffs until they realized that no law had been broken. Maryland is definetely no picnic for gun enthusiasts.

State Researcher

Post imported post

ijusam wrote:
    I went into Elkton today. On my strong side I was wearing an Uncle Mike' s OWB sidekick loaded with the only weapon Maryland allows me to protect myself with... my cell phone.

I hope when I am over there people will ask about the cell phone in the holster, so I can tell them that in my home state I can carry a gun to protect myself but when visiting Maryland I have to carry a cell phone so I can tell the ambulance where to come.
    That is horrible, sounds like Illinois for me!

Anybody ask you why?

Oh, and in case you were wondering, if you get the drop on em fast enough, and you use speed dial, you might give the attacker brain cancer if you can keep them on the line long enough...
    :P

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    That is horrible, sounds like Illinois for me!

Anybody ask you why?
    Not yet, I don't have to go into Maryland often, but when I do I am hoping someone will ask and I can start them thinking. Maryland needs change but I don't hold much hope for their future.

Post imported post

Every little thing you can do will help. Unfortunately, it seems most the people I know in Maryland are not that concerned they have no rights left. They just want to be able to hunt, and aren't going to put up a fight until someone takes that right away to. Maryland is unbelievably liberal.

State Researcher

Post imported post

ijusam wrote:

HAH! Outstanding!

Post imported post

do you have to have license to open carry in maryland? with you?

West of Winchester Va, and Baltimore City

Post imported post

Yes, you need a MD CCW to OC in MD. I assume, since your permit is granted at the discretion of the MD State Police, you won't be OCing for long:-)

As a MD resident I do avail myself of "Delaware Tax Free Shopping", and with a FL CCW, I do carry in DE.

Post imported post

I OC or CC in every State that I go to...I just don't do it in the State that I live in...you know, the place that I actually REALLY should . When in Maryland, I obediently line up with the rest of the sheep in the slaughter line . Someone will protect me right? Don't my tax dollars pay for someone to protect me? All rhetorical questions...I know the real answers.

Post imported post

I live in Elkton, MD. MD is a pain to get a handgun permit. I have a FL which covers me in the by standing states. I just had my interview at the state police barracks today for my md permit. Seem to go good. Can't wait to hear if I get it or not.

Post imported post

John Rogers wrote:
    I live in Elkton, MD. MD is a pain to get a handgun permit. I have a FL which covers me in the by standing states. I just had my interview at the state police barracks today for my md permit. Seem to go good. Can't wait to hear if I get it or not.
    That's awesome, I wish you luck! Be sure to post any updates.

Post imported post

John Rogers wrote:

I can see it now.... 'insufficient cause shown to issue permit-APPLICATION DENIED'
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    John Rogers wrote:

I can see it now.... 'insufficient cause shown to issue permit-APPLICATION DENIED'
    I'll keep you all updated. Figure I would give it a try and see what happens. Several officers told me I had a good chanceat getting it. I own several rentals so I handle cash. I am also I realtor and I know some realtors that have received handgun permits from maryland. Will see what happens

Post imported post

dngreer wrote:
    Every little thing you can do will help. Unfortunately, it seems most the people I know in Maryland are not that concerned they have no rights left. They just want to be able to hunt, and aren't going to put up a fight until someone takes that right away to. Maryland is unbelievably liberal.
    Unfortunately you are dead on with this. I don't even have a handgun (yet) and it disgusts me that nobody is concerned that only the bad guys are carrying. But as someone else said, my taxes pay for someone to protect me, right?

Post imported post

All of my in-laws live in Maryland. These people are incredibly naive. They sincerely believe that Maryland's draconian gun laws make them safer. Since they obey the laws, or at least the ones that make sense to them, they think that making guns illegal will stop people from carrying guns. When you tell them about Maryland's high crime rate, they just bury their heads in the sand. Fortunately for them, they all have money and can afford to live in Calvert County, where the crime rate is unusually low for Maryland, so they don't see the problem first hand. As long as it is someone else's problem, they can continue to pretend it doesn't exist.

Post imported post

John Rogers wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    John Rogers wrote:

I'll keep you all updated. Figure I would give it a try and see what happens. Several officers told me I had a good chanceat getting it. I own several rentals so I handle cash. I am also I realtor and I know some realtors that have received handgun permits from maryland. Will see what happens
    Those two words red and bolded above just might get you that permit after all. No one seems tolisten when the justification is "simply" self defense or protect my family, but you start talking about protecting business and money and ears will open up. People can be replaced, but business and money is worthy of defense. There's a guy over at progunprogressive.com that went through some serious hurdles to finally obtain a permit, up to and including life-threatening hurdles.

I still wish you luck! If you do end up with a permit, there will be one less sheep to the slaughter in Maryland

Post imported post

glocknroll wrote:
    All of my in-laws live in Maryland. These people are incredibly naive. They sincerely believe that Maryland's draconian gun laws make them safer. Since they obey the laws, or at least the ones that make sense to them, they think that making guns illegal will stop people from carrying guns. When you tell them about Maryland's high crime rate, they just bury their heads in the sand. Fortunately for them, they all have money and can afford to live in Calvert County, where the crime rate is unusually low for Maryland, so they don't see the problem first hand. As long as it is someone else's problem, they can continue to pretend it doesn't exist.
    It's only a matter of time before Calvert County is engulfed. There won't be any pretending after that. In the past 8 years, I've watched the wave of crime slowly but surely move south from PG County into Charles County. I remember when this place used to be quiet. Now we have armed carjackings in the driveways of half-million dollar homes, armed robberies in the mall parking lot in broad daylight, etc, etc, etc...But then again, I know quite a few folks around here that are shocked when there's another violent crime around here. "How'd this happen? Must be an isolated incident." Yeah, isolated like the last 30 isolated incidents...

The house is on the market and my sights are set on going back home to Va!

Post imported post

Someone mentioned on another online forum that we should all start wearing empty holsters in MD as a protest.

Post imported post

Conundrum wrote:
    Someone mentioned on another online forum that we should all start wearing empty holsters in MD as a protest.
    Openly carrying a holster in MD?! That's just insanity...and could easily be construed as to allow reasonable suspicion for a thourough searching .

"Hey, what's with the holster? You got a holster permit?"

"But there's no gun in my holster, I'm just trying to make a statement about..."

"But it has the ability to carry a gun, so it must be dangerous."

Post imported post

lol - yeah that holster shows "intent"

i like the idea though, the cellphone holster. not just a fashion statement, a political statement. maybe i shoud get the NRA's "i'm a BITTER gun owner and I VOTE" shirt to go along with it.

Post imported post

Conundrum wrote:
    That was me. We should all start wearing empty holsters at all times to protest MD's inaccessible concealed weapons permit.

Anyone with me??????????

Post imported post

just might do that - i know it'll get me "the look" from my wife though, i'm slowly converting her to realize how important gun rights are.

Post imported post

bobodean wrote:
    Conundrum wrote:
    That was me. We should all start wearing empty holsters at all times to protest MD's inaccessible concealed weapons permit.

Anyone with me??????????

Im not trying to tell you what to do, but I can tell you my experience with an empty holster in Maryland.

It was November 2006 on Veterans Blvd near BWI.
    I was in town for the holidays from Wyoming, and I did bring a lot of guns with my for my trip. But when I go to MD, I put them in my mothers house.
    Although I forgot about one EMPTY holster laying on the back floor of my truck.
    I was stopped for going 9-MPH over the speed limit (another MD insanity) and the officers saw it when I was giving my ID to them.
    The AACO PD literately pulled my out of my truck, threw me on the road and cuffed me.

They then frisked me three times and were somewhat violent while doing the frisk.
    The officers kept yelling at me about carrying a gun in Maryland and "We dont give a s--t what state you live in and what the gun laws are there"
    For some reason, the LEO's mind wasn't comprehending I was telling them that I had NO firearms in the vehicle, only that one empty holster.

Keep in mind Im not some rough looking "wanna-be" gangster you see walking around with his pants half way down his behind.
    Ima clean cut, and well spoken guy in his mid 20's.

After an hour long search of my truck by the two LEO's and later a shift supervisor and me sitting on the cold curb for that time. They6 let me go.

The next day, I filed a complaint with the AACO PD and they acted like I was from outer space and I got no responses regarding my complaint.

In Wyoming and Colorado I have been pulled over with my Glock 23 or Sig sitting loaded on the passenger seat and the only thing those cops said was "Please keep your hands away from the weapon while Im conducting this stop, thank you"

So, theres my experience with an empty holster in Maryland.
    Again, Im not going to tell you how to protest. But Im just giving my experience.

As far as Maryland goes, I have only been back once. And after completing school in Colorado, Im here in WV working at WVU.

I look forward to never seeing MD again. And the sad part is, thast were I grew up. But thinking about what that state has become makes me nauseated to this day.

People dont think of me as a quitter, but I gotta admit Maryland won the battle for my loyalty as an American. I truly think that state is doomed until complete social breakdown occurs and then MAYBE the citizens of Maryland will wake up.

"Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

just another example of the "so sue us" attititude many in power in Maryland have.

also sounds like a case they would lose if you chose to sue

Post imported post

John Rogers wrote:
    I take it that since there have been no updates that John Rogers didn't get his permit. I guess money and business aren't good enough resons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast