Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture of your Blackhawk SERPA in Concealed Mode?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Since I'll be (hopefully, may-issue) getting my CCDW soon, in addition to Open Carrying, I'm also going to be looking at concealing in some instances so, I'd love to see how folks wear their SERPA concealed...

Anyone able to take a picture to post?

Post imported post

Blackhawk SERPA With my Glock23.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Blackhawk SERPA With my Glock23. pic2

State Researcher

Post imported post

Nice...

At the moment, I'm not using the paddle attachment as I wasn't really sure how that was supposed to be worn. I have the standard belt attachment with a spacer kit in there for the upcoming USPSA compeition I'm going to try to make.

Post imported post

Be advised the paddle on the Serpa's are a bitch. Removing it without removing your belt is near impossible. I removed the screw on hooks and filed down and rounded the other.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Yeah you got to be kind of a contortionist just to get it off. But isn't that the idea? BG trys a grab and run he's not getting my gun.

I take the gun out, then pull out on the hostler put my fingers on the outside hooks then slide it round to my back. Then with my other hand reach inside and unhook the inside hook. It only take a minute or so, but I think it's worth the time for the extra security. IMHO.

Kastaway

Post imported post

I can't say I have any problems removing mine. Just suck in my gut, move the holster forward, then I am able to get two hands on it and spread it apart. The inside hook sometimes catches on my pocket, but that's not a big deal.

State Researcher

Post imported post

lol That's just not fair. My skinny butt can't hide ANYTHING. It's hard for me to hide a Walther PPK/s IN my waist band w/o wearing a jacket. There's no way in hell I'd ever be able to hide a full sized handgun under just a shirt.

In reference to the serpa, from what I've seen it looks like it stays out away from the body a little bit, like say a duty holster. This is compared to my leather "CCW" belt holster that I have that really hugs the body. Is this not the case?

State Researcher

Post imported post

I recently picked up a gun belt -- one of the double layer leather dress belts and I'm having a hard time navigating the holster onto it. Meh.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    lol That's just not fair. My skinny butt can't hide ANYTHING. It's hard for me to hide a Walther PPK/s IN my waist band w/o wearing a jacket. There's no way in hell I'd ever be able to hide a full sized handgun under just a shirt.

In reference to the serpa, from what I've seen it looks like it stays out away from the body a little bit, like say a duty holster. This is compared to my leather "CCW" belt holster that I have that really hugs the body. Is this not the case?
    I have a Serpa and a Galco leather for my XD, and that is exactly what happens. The distance the Serpa stands out is actualy a good thing, as I can get a light jacket tucked behind my gun without it bunching up to much and getting in the way. I am not realy thick myself, so unless I use my IWB holster with a big shirt I am not so much concealing as I am covering up. That's just one more reason to OC in my book.

State Researcher

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    DreQo wrote:

I have a Serpa and a Galco leather for my XD, and that is exactly what happens. The distance the Serpa stands out is actualy a good thing, as I can get a light jacket tucked behind my gun without it bunching up to much and getting in the way. I am not realy thick myself, so unless I use my IWB holster with a big shirt I am not so much concealing as I am covering up. That's just one more reason to OC in my book.

Sounds like the serpa will work great for OC, which is what I'll be getting it for. My galco leather "concealable belt holster" works great under a jacket and such.

So doesblackhawk advertise their serpa holster as concealable?

EDIT: So uhh I go to the blackhawk website, and there's a link down in the lower right corner that says "concealable holsters". The link takes you to a page with the Serpa holsters. I find this a little odd, considering the first two holsters on the list are thigh rigs.....

Post imported post

That cracks me up they call it a conceal holster. I love my Serpa, wear it everyday but it isn't a very good conceal holster. It hangs a little low too, so even when covered with a winter coat the bottom of the holster will peak out from under my coat.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Went outside and shot these photos to show sone of the ways I have CC'd with my SERPA and a full size 1911.

Here is with a sweatshirt.

The danger of the sweatshirt. Put that arm up to a 90 degree angle and OOOPS! HOLSTER!

Dickies brand work clothing has Work Shirts that I purchased in Large - I'm 6'1 and 175ish. First one is a Tan Short Sleeve, and the second a Black Long Sleeve.

Just a plaid work coat/shirt. Something I picked up on a closeout rack somewhere. I can't remember the brand. Work off the tag.

Wearing my Columbia Rain Jacket - Size Large.

Here is what it looks inside for guestimations regarding where the bottom of the holster is to the coat. The coat does have a cinch string in it that I use to hold in place. Not tight enough to impede speed of draw but enough to hold it more over the gun.

And how I OC with that jacket.

Hopefully that will give some more ideas to supplement the pictures posted by Kastaway.

State Researcher

Post imported post

lol Bourne, you're a little skinner than I am, and that gun looks HUGE in those pics.

Post imported post

I guess that would explain why it is difficult for me to conceal it very well. Thank God for OC!

State Researcher

Post imported post

God I hate to do this in so many posts, but photobucket sucks... and besides, anyone who thinks that having the most posts in an online forum is dumb anyway...

But here they are:

Standarad OC setup with SERPA.

State Researcher

Post imported post

In my Columbia Pullover. I wear this most of the time when it's chilly. There is definitely a bulge, but wearing it in about the 3 o clock position makes it pretty hard to detect unless your looking for it.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Here's me in my leather jacket with my arm up at a 90o angle. As you can see, no holster!

State Researcher

Post imported post

This jacket, which I wear when it's raining out or not cool enough for the sweater or the leather jacket, covers it when my arms are down, but as you can see, when they are lifted for any reason, there be a gun!

State Researcher

Post imported post

What kind of weapon is that?

I have a Springfield XD-9 Service -- the XD holsters are shorter than the Glock 20/21 holsters which are MUCH shorter than their 1911 counterparts. So, I think I'll be in good shape...

State Researcher

Post imported post

Many try to say that the SERPA is very concealable with nearly any cover garment, but at least for me and my handgun, a baggy sweater is the bare minimum I would trust to conceal it.

Overshirts and the like just don't cover the butt which protrudes for several reasons: my gut, the weight of the gun, the width of the gun, etc...

As bourne showed, however, some people with slimmer guns can defeinitely conceal it as effectively as any other OWB holster. For me and my XD though, we normally use the IWB method for CC.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Wynder wrote:
    What kind of weapon is that?

I have a Springfield XD-9 Service -- the XD holsters are shorter than the Glock 20/21 holsters which are MUCH shorter than their 1911 counterparts. So, I think I'll be in good shape...
    You have a very discerning eye from that distance... but not spot on...hehe

It's actually the XD .45 Compact. Same length as the .45 Service 4'' model, but with a shorter grip (only holds 10+1 vs. 13+1). Way to spot the XD by only looking at the top of the frame though:celebrate.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I figured it looked like one -- the rear sights looked familliar.

State Researcher

Post imported post

vmathis, just curious, which way are the bullets pointed in your spare mag? rear or forward?

State Researcher

Post imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
    vmathis, just curious, which way are the bullets pointed in your spare mag? rear or forward?
    Yyyeah it does look like his mag is backwards, doesn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast