• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picture of your Blackhawk SERPA in Concealed Mode?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Since I'll be (hopefully, may-issue) getting my CCDW soon, in addition to Open Carrying, I'm also going to be looking at concealing in some instances so, I'd love to see how folks wear their SERPA concealed...

Anyone able to take a picture to post?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Nice...

At the moment, I'm not using the paddle attachment as I wasn't really sure how that was supposed to be worn. I have the standard belt attachment with a spacer kit in there for the upcoming USPSA compeition I'm going to try to make.

VAopencarry

imported post

Be advised the paddle on the Serpa's are a bitch. Removing it without removing your belt is near impossible. I removed the screw on hooks and filed down and rounded the other.

Kastaway

imported post

Yeah you got to be kind of a contortionist just to get it off. But isn't that the idea? BG trys a grab and run he's not getting my gun.

I take the gun out, then pull out on the hostler put my fingers on the outside hooks then slide it round to my back. Then with my other hand reach inside and unhook the inside hook. It only take a minute or so, but I think it's worth the time for the extra security. IMHO.

Kastaway

FogRider

imported post

I can't say I have any problems removing mine. Just suck in my gut, move the holster forward, then I am able to get two hands on it and spread it apart. The inside hook sometimes catches on my pocket, but that's not a big deal.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

lol That's just not fair. My skinny butt can't hide ANYTHING. It's hard for me to hide a Walther PPK/s IN my waist band w/o wearing a jacket. There's no way in hell I'd ever be able to hide a full sized handgun under just a shirt.

In reference to the serpa, from what I've seen it looks like it stays out away from the body a little bit, like say a duty holster. This is compared to my leather "CCW" belt holster that I have that really hugs the body. Is this not the case?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I recently picked up a gun belt -- one of the double layer leather dress belts and I'm having a hard time navigating the holster onto it. Meh.

FogRider

imported post

DreQo wrote:
lol That's just not fair. My skinny butt can't hide ANYTHING. It's hard for me to hide a Walther PPK/s IN my waist band w/o wearing a jacket. There's no way in hell I'd ever be able to hide a full sized handgun under just a shirt.

In reference to the serpa, from what I've seen it looks like it stays out away from the body a little bit, like say a duty holster. This is compared to my leather "CCW" belt holster that I have that really hugs the body. Is this not the case?
I have a Serpa and a Galco leather for my XD, and that is exactly what happens. The distance the Serpa stands out is actualy a good thing, as I can get a light jacket tucked behind my gun without it bunching up to much and getting in the way. I am not realy thick myself, so unless I use my IWB holster with a big shirt I am not so much concealing as I am covering up. That's just one more reason to OC in my book.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

FogRider wrote:
DreQo wrote:

I have a Serpa and a Galco leather for my XD, and that is exactly what happens. The distance the Serpa stands out is actualy a good thing, as I can get a light jacket tucked behind my gun without it bunching up to much and getting in the way. I am not realy thick myself, so unless I use my IWB holster with a big shirt I am not so much concealing as I am covering up. That's just one more reason to OC in my book.

Sounds like the serpa will work great for OC, which is what I'll be getting it for. My galco leather "concealable belt holster" works great under a jacket and such.

So doesblackhawk advertise their serpa holster as concealable?

EDIT: So uhh I go to the blackhawk website, and there's a link down in the lower right corner that says "concealable holsters". The link takes you to a page with the Serpa holsters. I find this a little odd, considering the first two holsters on the list are thigh rigs.....

VAopencarry

imported post

That cracks me up they call it a conceal holster. I love my Serpa, wear it everyday but it isn't a very good conceal holster. It hangs a little low too, so even when covered with a winter coat the bottom of the holster will peak out from under my coat.

bourneshooter

imported post

Went outside and shot these photos to show sone of the ways I have CC'd with my SERPA and a full size 1911.

102_4901.jpg

Here is with a sweatshirt.

102_4903.jpg

The danger of the sweatshirt. Put that arm up to a 90 degree angle and OOOPS! HOLSTER!

102_4904.jpg

Dickies brand work clothing has Work Shirts that I purchased in Large - I'm 6'1 and 175ish. First one is a Tan Short Sleeve, and the second a Black Long Sleeve.

102_4907.jpg

102_4909.jpg

Just a plaid work coat/shirt. Something I picked up on a closeout rack somewhere. I can't remember the brand. Work off the tag. :lol:

102_4912.jpg

102_4915.jpg

Wearing my Columbia Rain Jacket - Size Large.

102_4917.jpg

Here is what it looks inside for guestimations regarding where the bottom of the holster is to the coat. The coat does have a cinch string in it that I use to hold in place. Not tight enough to impede speed of draw but enough to hold it more over the gun.

102_4920.jpg

102_4921.jpg

And how I OC with that jacket.

102_4925.jpg

Hopefully that will give some more ideas to supplement the pictures posted by Kastaway.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

lol Bourne, you're a little skinner than I am, and that gun looks HUGE in those pics.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

God I hate to do this in so many posts, but photobucket sucks... and besides, anyone who thinks that having the most posts in an online forum is dumb anyway...

But here they are:

Standarad OC setup with SERPA.

Attachments

• 100_0926.JPG
    100_0926.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,232

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

In my Columbia Pullover. I wear this most of the time when it's chilly. There is definitely a bulge, but wearing it in about the 3 o clock position makes it pretty hard to detect unless your looking for it.

Attachments

• 100_0916.JPG
    100_0916.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,041

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Here's me in my leather jacket with my arm up at a 90[suP]o [/suP]angle. As you can see, no holster!

Attachments

• 100_0921.JPG
    100_0921.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,101

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

This jacket, which I wear when it's raining out or not cool enough for the sweater or the leather jacket, covers it when my arms are down, but as you can see, when they are lifted for any reason, there be a gun!

Attachments

• 100_0924.JPG
    100_0924.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 899

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

What kind of weapon is that?

I have a Springfield XD-9 Service -- the XD holsters are shorter than the Glock 20/21 holsters which are MUCH shorter than their 1911 counterparts. So, I think I'll be in good shape...