• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off topic - "You can say something nobody else can"

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

One word describes the Mr. Y commute to work today.

OWNED

Relevant names witheld to protect the innocent.

It may come as a shock, but in RARE circumstances and very LIMITED conditions, ONCE IN A WHILE I have been accused of exceeding the posted speed limit.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

No, seriously... It does happen.

I approach and enter an exit on to a 3 lane roadway (not an interstate). Unlike most exits which have yellow advisory signs this exit has a posted speed limit sign. Usually, I'm lucky if I can actually get 1/2 the value posted because there's always someone in front making damn sure nobody can go even close to the limit on this, or the exiting roadway. Today however, I catch a break( in way more ways than one ). Let us simply say that the speed required a lean angle substantially more than usual. I took the exit well, looking well ahead identifying 3 different positions I could take at the corner exit. Due to the volume of traffic, I opted for the slowest of the 3 positions which was still ... "enough". I took the corner exit still on the throttle, but then rapidly rolled off and upshifted x2 in order to settle into (shyeah) the flow of traffic and keep the noise down so as not to draw unwanted attention.

Way too late for that.

<object lesson>
Just because YOU can't see the inside line of the corner at the corner exit DOESN'T mean that someone standing on the coner exit inside line can't see you.
</object lesson>

I pass a traffic light, with a parked moto cop, and know instantlythat in very short order if I am not inclined towards felony flight, that motor officer and I are going to be discussing the ins and outs of road use. Even though I have more than 3 times the power, and at least a 200 pound weight advantage, the danger to the public is simply not worth flight from a traffic stop which doesn't involve life ordeath - penalty notwithstanding. If someone gets hurt because it, the fleeing person is accountable by law. Besides, this was a fair fight and Motorcop won this round fair and square. I just rolled off the gas downshifted and was already stopped by the time he'd hit his lights.

"You knew as soon as you saw me.." (Mr. Y) "As soon as I saw you." He asks forthe D/L, I agree and keeping hands viewable I let him know 'these have to come off' (gloves).

FFWD to the relevant info exchange - I disclose my CHP by handing over, he asks if I'm carryingand I confirm. He is totallyunphased.we exchange some info about gear, heat, other stuff - he's clearly a biker. I ask 'Can you give me a break,I've got a clean record, no BOLOs' He pauses for just a second, and says

"Ya know, you did everything the way it's supposed to go... I am going to give you break and a warning"... <snipped discussion of the local speed limits>

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Despite LEO229's stern warning -

He continued:

"Now you can say something nobody else can. You got stopped on your sportbike by a Harley Motorcop - and got a warning."

I did not "kiss up", drop a bunch of sirs & madams on him, but merely gave the respect I would give any person and would expectmyself.

So the message has clearly gotten out - CHP holder = good guy. That has to be it because it probably isn't Mr. Y's tactful diplomacy. ;) I know the topic of disclosure of CHP at a traffic stop comes up once in a while. Your mileage may vary...

Now I have some penance to perform...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

An Apostles' Creed and Twelve Hail Marys.

That's much cheaper that the thirty pieces of silver and a pound from nearest your heart that the NRA charges for a similar dispensation of forgiveness.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$