• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suggestions on a first time OC?

Simple belt holster or strapped leg holster???

• Belt holster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leg holster

• other

• Total voters

mdsuave13

Ellicott city near baltimoron city, Maryland, USA
imported post

A little background from a new member:

I am from PRMD (peoples republik of Maryland) but am considering OC'ing in VA since i am there daily. I am new to the whole idea of OC, but have diligently researched it and feel that it is fantastic to be able to express our rights and privileges. Not to mention that i am an avid firearms supporter. All of my firearms are legally procured (which is bs to begin with.. but thats another story) and i have no criminal background of any type. I am a hard working tax paying citizen and work in public safety sector (fire safety inspections and repair)

I target shoot every chance i get which is 3-5 times a month, i don't own obsessive amounts of firearms (YET) right now i have a Sigpro 2340 in a .40 S W trim. Custom grips, trigger, finishing and sights. I also have a Remington 870 express with a 18" tactical barrel with rifle sights, syn stock and forearm, pistol grip, extended mags and finish for home D and skeet shooting (yes i manage pretty decent results at the skeet range with a pistol grip and an 18" barrel.

I wonder tho how the first time of OC will be, and how police and other citizens may react to this. I figure i just have to be calm, courteous and maintain the fact that i am not doing anything illegal by OC.

I think that appearance has a great deal to do with how you will be treated in an OC situation. I am 25, white, shaggy rocker hair, and some tats and piercings that are visible. (nothing crazy) I wonder if i would be percieved as a threat just because of my appearance and then with the added part of the firearm? Also, do you think it would bring more notice to carry my pistol in a tactical leg holster such as:

http://www.spectergear.com/tac_holster_2_med.jpg

as opposed to a simply clip on belt holster? I don't plan to be in camo or anything like that, but i have always felt that the gun was more secure in a situation of rapid movement.

I would like to hear any advice, tips, or snippets of wisdom you can give me. I also would like to know of any good links of interest for local (VA, MD, DC) gun activist meets or any places where pro-gun activist prefer to support. Thanks for any help, hope to OC with you all soon!

unrequited

imported post

Thigh's a little too tacticool for me, but then again I've had others say that about Shoulder which I like a lot. Roll with what you're comfortable with, and carry yourself with confidence and good demeanor and it shouldn't matter which you end up deciding on.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I'd honestly stay away from the leg holster -- it would definitely draw a bit of attention. If your personal style is a bit on the wilder side, I'd probably stick with a straight belt holster -- your personal preference, though.

As for other advice, be sure to know the laws. Know where you can and cannot carry. Be able to recall the general meaning of concealed carry, disorderly conduct and inducing panic as, if you're stopped by an uninformed LEO, these are going to be issues he'll try use as points to detain you.

Hoepfully, it won't come to that, but it's wise to know the local laws and your rights as a US Citizen/National.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Keep in mind, I'm not a Viriginian -- I'm sure some of the locals can probably offer more specific advice. I'm trying to keep my fairly general and non-regional. :)

Bubba Ron

imported post

mdsuave13 wrote:
A little background from a new member:

I am from PRMD (peoples republik of Maryland) but am considering OC'ing in VA since i am there daily. I am new to the whole idea of OC, but have diligently researched it and feel that it is fantastic to be able to express our rights and privileges........I wonder tho how the first time of OC will be, and how police and other citizens may react to this......
Welcome to OCDO!! I would recommend attending one, or several,of the Open Carry Dining Outs in Virginia that are close to you. They are a great way for a new OCer to get started. You'll be with several like-minded people, enjoy some great food, and learn a lot about Open Carry. We just had one in Tidewater last night that the press (a Virginian Pilot reporter, her editor, and a photographer) attended with us- it was a very good evening. Hopefully the newspaper article will bear this out :). These dining outstend to get you "over the hump" a lot easier - you're with friends.....with common interests.....and I agree with the others, leave the leg holster at home.....

mdsuave13

Ellicott city near baltimoron city, Maryland, USA
imported post

Thanks for the warm welcome bubba! I will look into a meeting and see what i can attend. I think i would be less stressful to have others who know whats up with OC. After watching dan get handcuffed at gunpoint in norfolk, i am kinda leery. I am not sure how i would react under that pressure on my first time OCing.

Well i appreciate the help, i am actually applying for my CCW permit for a non-resident in VA. That will at least give me a bit more leverage, but i still plan on having my gun proudly on my hip, not tucked up and out of sight.

Bubba Ron

imported post

I guess I should haveadded that Danbus was with us last night, he even had his "ticket/summons" with him - we had, and always do have, a great time!!!!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You're right, Bubba, and in the last 14 months, we've had probably 16 dinners or so. With the exception of a security guard who got a little snippy with me when we went into a mall corridor, we have had absolutely NO problems in any of our outings. We've had some patrons and staff make comments, mostly out of curiosity, but no harrowing confrontations or any of the other things that first timers worry about. I think we look too "middle-America" and harmless to be perceived as a threat by the public.

(Even Danbus gets to enjoy a pleasant evening free of police harassment when he's with us! .....so far....:shock: )

swatpro911

imported post

Remember, keep your cool. Be assertive and be ready to stand your ground but little smile goes long way when dealing with cops. Beaware of your surroundings, right attitude, manner, and courtesy is all needed to be left alone out on the streets. You will gain respect from all direction. Arrogance, cockyness on the streets will get you killed by others who dont like law abiding citizen and cops. Be safe out there and represent us

Marco

imported post

rose_wilted.gif

swatpro911

imported post

leave the tactical stuff behind, casual dress, belt, would do just fine. Proper grooming counts as well. Brands of clothing does not matter, decency counts that others dont want you to know. I have drop leg holster as well but I dont get that much attention as well.

72Malibu

imported post

Belt holster I would say... or paddle. (I use both).

I don't "dress up" per se when I go out (meaning slacks, etc). I normally wear jeans and casual shoes/boots and tuck my shirt in. You don't have to look like a businessman/professional (it doesn't hurt), but don't dress like a miscreant or people will think you are one and be more likely to overreact.

As far as tactical holsters... I dont' know if I would go that route. For some reason it just doesn't seem appropriate... sort of like wearing jeans to a formal gathering. Not putting them down in any way, but they seem less of a "clean cut" look and more of a "ready for action" look.

Just my opinion.

swatpro911

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
Belt holster I would say... or paddle. (I use both).

I don't "dress up" per se when I go out (meaning slacks, etc). I normally wear jeans and casual shoes/boots and tuck my shirt in. You don't have to look like a businessman/professional (it doesn't hurt), but don't dress like a miscreant or people will think you are one and be more likely to overreact.

As far as tactical holsters... I dont' know if I would go that route. For some reason it just doesn't seem appropriate... sort of like wearing jeans to a formal gathering. Not putting them down in any way, but they seem less of a "clean cut" look and more of a "ready for action" look.

Just my opinion.
Exactly

mercutio545

imported post

Well that choice could go either way. I have a paddle holster and a thigh rig. I don't wear the thigh rig if I'm going out in a public place with lots of people, but I do wear it when I'm driving for a while (way more comfortable than my hip holster), or if I'm doing something active like hiking, etc. Tactical holsters have their uses, and they look pretty (tacti)cool, but as the above posters said, you should use your head, because they do draw a lot of unwanted attention.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I mainly carry in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa paddle holster on my hip. But somtimes I carry the same holster on the Blackhawk thigh platform. Here is a picture that was in our local newspaper last month. I have worn this several times and have never had a reaction that was any different than that if I was carrying on my hip. But I am in Utah, so that may have something to do with it.

4722413.jpg

DeadCenter

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
I mainly carry in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa paddle holster on my hip. But somtimes I carry the same holster on the Blackhawk thigh platform. Here is a picture that was in our local newspaper last month. I have worn this several times and have never had a reaction that was any different than that if I was carrying on my hip. But I am in Utah, so that may have something to do with it.

4722413.jpg
I OC most everywhere I go. However, a thigh rig would be pushing it for me.
Stainless draws attention. I can only imagine what a thigh rig would do in some locations

DC