Thread: Springfield GI .45 1911

State Researcher

Post imported post

Anyone played with one of these yet? I fondeled one the other day, and the price of it is almost too good to pass up (600 bucks for a brand new 1911!?) I noticed on the website about the military low profile sights. Seems like it might make target acquisition a little difficult, but I've been wanting a 1911 for OC, and the 4'' model seems like a good option. Not to mention the US grips make ita very cool looking piece .

Post imported post

The GI models were $400-$450 back about two years ago weren't they? Now the price is around $600, is that correct? Personally I think that the next-step-up model from Springfield Armory, the 'Mil-Spec' series, is a better deal for about $50 more, last I looked. The Mil Specs, compared to the GIs,have better sights, a slightlyhigher/more user friendlygrip safety, and an enlarged ejection port.

My main hangup with the GI series is those tiny sights, but that's partly because I'm 45 years old not 25.

Post imported post

I looked at one of those and was seriously considering buying it. Then I found out I could get a new Sig GSR 1911 fully loaded, with Novak night sights for only $180 more.

The Springfield GI is a pretty good deal if you plan to shootit as is, but if you plan to do a few mods and upgrades, they get every bit as expensive as one of Springfield’s more customized models.

American Handgunner magazine just did a story where they took one of the bone stock GI type 1911s and did just a few upgrades. New sights, accuracy, and finish; took it up over $1000.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    American Handgunner magazine just did a story where they took one of the bone stock GI type 1911s and did just a few upgrades. New sights, accuracy, and finish; took it up over $1000.
    Taurus PT1911 has all that and more for $600. And they're made in Brazil, just like the Springfields.

Post imported post

I have a G.I. Champion, the 4" barrel model, found it used at my local gunshop and someone had done me a favor (first, by selling itand second, installed Night Sights:celebrate) next upgrade for it is an ambi safety and it is good to go. Shoots great and just might become a BUG to it's bigger brother 1911's in my collection. I likie it a lot, and shoot it wheneverI go to the range, it is in almost new condition and needs to be broken in some still. Here is a picture for ya'all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
    ...next upgrade for it is an ambi safety and it is good to go. .
    Why? Are you left handed?

Post imported post

Mainsail:

Yes I am, but I think ALL 1911's should have that feature standard. It just makes sense to me, most other handguns have them, why not 1911's? Also, I consider it something that is not only handy, it does have it's purposes, right hander needing to fire weak hand and moving thumb over to release safety can be a pain sometimes. Just my opinion though.

Post imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
    Mainsail:

Yes I am, but I think ALL 1911's should have that feature standard. It just makes sense to me, most other handguns have them, why not 1911's? Also, I consider it something that is not only handy, it does have it's purposes, right hander needing to fire weak hand and moving thumb over to release safety can be a pain sometimes. Just my opinion though.
    When I chose my 1911, a Sig GSR, one of the reasons was the lack of an ambi safety. When carrying concealed the extra safety can snag your shirt causing it to ride up and expose the gun. In any event, the extra safety ends up facing away from your body (for right handers) where it can inadvertently catch on something and become disengaged. As for a weak hand situation, my left thumb or even the hem of my jeans can disengage the safety. I’ve never been a fan of an ambidextrous safety on the 1911.

Post imported post

And in a left hand holster the safety also faces away from the body. I respect your opinion though, but I still will go with an ambi, got one on my Springfield full size and my Taurus and have no problems with either. No snags either, I guess it comes from practice, practice, practice. I found an ambi in Brownells, same paddle shape as the stock lever, I will go with that one, no long levers to snag.

Post imported post

Used to have one. f***ing loved that gun, but had to sell due to lack of money. I dont know if its just me but they are impossible to find, iv been to 3 gun shops here in CA and 4 down in AZ and cannot find it. Once i got used to mine i noticed it was very accurate, but i had the 5 inch barrel

Post imported post

r6-rider:

If you can get to Scottsdale Az, two shops to look in are the Scottsdale Gun Club and Bear Arms. Both carry Springfield Armory products and if it isn't there that day, they will order it for you. It is worth the trip, besides, the gun club has an indoor range too and both have great selections and plenty of things to look at too.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    I looked at one of those and was seriously considering buying it. Then I found out I could get a new Sig GSR 1911 fully loaded, with Novak night sights for only $180 more.

The Springfield GI is a pretty good deal if you plan to shootit as is, but if you plan to do a few mods and upgrades, they get every bit as expensive as one of Springfield’s more customized models.

I am seriously considering venturing into the field of 1911's and going for the Sig GSR. How do you like yours and would you recommend the piece?

Problems with FTE or FTF? Easy to clean? Accurate?

Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

I love my GSR. It’s my primary carry pistol and the one you’ll see in my holster if we ever cross paths. When it was new I had a few problems with nose-diving of the first round and a couple FTE, but after about 200 rounds it’s 100%. It’s so accurate it’s frightening!

I love the classic lines of the GI, including the hammer and grip safety (I don’t have fat ham-hock hands that get pinched but the hammer) but hate the sights.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    I love my GSR. It’s my primary carry pistol and the one you’ll see in my holster if we ever cross paths. When it was new I had a few problems with nose-diving of the first round and a couple FTE, but after about 200 rounds it’s 100%. It’s so accurate it’s frightening!

I love the classic lines of the GI, including the hammer and grip safety (I don’t have fat ham-hock hands that get pinched but the hammer) but hate the sights.

Nice.. Did you upgrade the sights? If so, what did you do?
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Flintlock wrote:
    Mainsail wrote:

Nice.. Did you upgrade the sights? If so, what did you do?
    No, Novak night sights are standard. Here's the product page from Sig that list all the details.

Post imported post

I really want one of those. I really am happy with my Sig and want to more of them.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I remember that back when Rock Island 1911s were going for 279 new, the Springfield GI was going for around 300-350. I guess those days are long gone

I agree I'd just add a few bills and get the Mil-Spec with better sights.

Post imported post

My G.I. Champion now has it's ambi safety and it is even more enjoyable to carry/shoot now. Here is the pistol with it's new attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
    Anyone played with one of these yet? I fondeled one the other day, and the price of it is almost too good to pass up (600 bucks for a brand new 1911!?) I noticed on the website about the military low profile sights. Seems like it might make target acquisition a little difficult, but I've been wanting a 1911 for OC, and the 4'' model seems like a good option. Not to mention the US grips make ita very cool looking piece .
    Had one. great gun. Love the sights.

Tarzan

Post imported post

Went to the Scottsdale Gun Club today to test the new ambi safety. WOO HOO, works great and now my Champion will be going out with me a lot more often now. I am the proverbial "Happy Camper" now. Shot good, positive engagementand disengagement of safety lever and the action and trigger are getting better all the time. Sweet little pistol, glad some person sold it and I found it.:celebrate:celebrate