• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC - Long Guns

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In MO with a CCW you can CC literally any weapon it is legal for you to own excepting self opening knives and butterfly knives. As to OC, my memory is that there was a restriction, but I am going to have to do a little research as I don't recall exactly.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

In Nevada there is one limitation. Due to some hunting law, a rifle may not have a round in the chamber if it is in a vehicle. It can have rounds in the magazine though.

Seif5034

imported post

DreQo wrote:
carrying a shotgun for defense, lol....maybe.
if i were to carry a shotgun in an urban area. (wal-mart, w/e) i'd bring a Serbu super shorty. they are 16" pumps that hold 2+1and they actually make hip holsters for them

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VegasGeorge wrote:
I don't know of any State that differentiates between hand guns and long guns when it comes to open carry. Do you?
Well, in Texas, unlawful carryof a weapon is illegal. The law definesthe offense in shortas carrying a handgun, illegal knife, or club on your person in public. They then define exceptions (in or heading to a vehicle,having a CHL and the weapon is concealed,lawfully hunting, etc).Thereforecarry of along gun doesn't meetthe UCW statute where a handgun specifically does. I do think however that walking around downtown Dallas with an AR-15 would result in undue alarm and is cause for arrest on brandishment or DoP charges.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
In Nevada there is one limitation. Due to some hunting law, a rifle may not have a round in the chamber if it is in a vehicle. It can have rounds in the magazine though.
That would probably be because in most states, hunting while operating or riding in or on a motor vehicle is illegal. The shot must be taken on foot or from a stand.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Seif5034 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
if i were to carry a shotgun in an urban area. (wal-mart, w/e) i'd bring a Serbu super shorty. they are 16" pumps that hold 2+1and they actually make hip holsters for them

lol You didn't read the rest of the thread, did you? There's a whole lot of talk about that serbu already :D.

It's interesting that this thread popped back up, though, since I recently acquired a sling for my mossberg that allows me to comfortably carry it on my back with both arms completely free (like a back-pack). The draw from that position is VERY quick: Grab the fore-grip behind your back with weak hand as you push your strong hand through the sling. As the sling clears your shoulder,you swing the shotty around in your weak hand, bringing it up to a firing position in your shoulder while meeting your strong hand.

This would allow me to carry rather conveniently while walking around any number of places. I still don't think I'll ever have it on my back in wal-mart or around the neighborhood. It just doesn't seem practical to me.

Seif5034

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Seif5034 wrote:
DreQo wrote:

lol You didn't read the rest of the thread, did you? There's a whole lot of talk about that serbu already :D.
heh, yeah. i saw that after i had already posted. gotta be more careful next time

kurtmax_0

imported post

One thing to watch out is: Many states only preempt handgun laws in their preemption codes. Sometimes localities take advantage of this and ban carrying pretty much anything but a handgun.