• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC - Long Guns

VegasGeorge

imported post

I don't know of any State that differentiates between hand guns and long guns when it comes to open carry. Do you?

I just got a Mossberg 930SPX 12 gauge and will have a sling on it in a few days. I've thought about carrying it with me every now and then just for the heck of it. I have a Nevada CCW, and carry my pistol, open or concealed, just about all the time. So, the idea and practice of carrying is nothing new to me.

So, what about it? Do any of you ever carry one of your long guns when you're out and about?

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I carry my Mossberg when hiking or riding. We raise horses, and I've had a lot of problems with coyotes in our area (they killed three horses last year). Not to mention mountain lions, snakes, and the infamous (and probably non-existent) Alabama panther. I usually hike up in North Alabama as there are more places up there, and I've never had problems. Don't really see the use of carrying a shotgun for everyday errands and such. It just seems rude to me (no flaming guys), and it's begging for the wrong kind of attention, especially around here.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

It is legal here in NC to openly carry a long gun, however I've yet to be in a situation where it was practical. The only time I can think of that being practical is when I was out in the wilderness, hiking or what not, and needed protection from 4-legged BG's. I don't think it'd be practical for urban self-defense, since the draw from a normal sling would be much slower than drawing a pistol. I guess if you didn't HAVEa pistol, I could see carrying a shotgun for defense, lol....maybe.

Carrying a pistol gets bad reactions from some people, but over all it is an accepted and logical form of self defense. Carrying a shotgun would probably get a lot more bad reactions since it's not an accepted form of self defense. Legal? Sure. Is it your right? Sure. Should you care what other people think? Ya don't have to. Is it honestly necessary? lol I don't think so.

-

-

-

Am I going to do it at some point in my life just because I can? Hell yes! :Dlol. If I ever go camping I'll probably have my mossberg 500 around, and possibly slung, but I seriously doubt you'll ever see me in wal-mart with it.

denwego

imported post

I carry my Remington 870 Police Magnum model with a 18.5" barrel and a side-folding stock just about every time I head out into the mountains around here... we've got big wildlife problems in this area in the fall (as is evidenced by this thread's happenings, less than 10 miles from my front door - http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/5213.html ). Beyond that, even though it's as compact as a non-SBS shotgun can legally be, it's much more practical to carry a pistol in a holster when you're around town, since you tend to be using both hands, bending over, getting in and out of cars, and all that fun stuff.

Now, I've been giving some serious thought to picking up a Serbu Super Shorty AOW-config, as seen here: http://www.impactguns.com/store/SER-SS12.html If I did, I get a thigh holster for it and OC it all around town with a big grin on my face all the time; 12-gauge power in a pistol package :celebrate

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Serbu Super Shorty...DROOOOOL

I just called impact Guns and they have 3 left and we have NO restrictions on them here in Utah and just a regular background check:celebrate. NO TAX on it either:lol:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

lol I think EVERY "can I carry a shotgun?" conversation gets back to the Serbu Shorty eventually. That would definately be a neat gun to have, and I'll definately buy one some day. Problem is I can't justify that kind of price right now... It'd be interesting to try and make one on your own. After all, they start out with a standard mossberg or remington action..

Anyway can you REALLY call that carrying a long gun?? lol

UTOC-45-44

imported post

It would be the most awesome CCW and OC ever.

Can U just imaging and Officer pulling you over...

Me. -"Officer, I have a CCW"

Officer. -"Thank you. Are you carrying at this time???"

Me. -"Yes,sir."

Officer. -"Where is it???"

Me. -"Well,sir...I have a 1911 right strong side and a Serbu Super Shorty 12Ga under my LEFT arm as my BUG:celebrate"

-"???????????"

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yyyeah but that brings up something else. You see, here in NC anyway, I have what is called a Concealed Handgun Permit, and it allows me to do exactly that (in reverse): Permits me to carry a handgun concealed. This DOES NOT include long guns, or any other weapons (both figuratively and, literally, AOWs). This means that I can't have a loaded rifle or shotty in the car unless it is plainly visible, and I sure as hell couldn't have a serbu shorty (being an AOW), or any other shotgun or rifle, concealed on my person.

Do other State's concealed laws include or allow long guns? The main reason I have my CHP is because of the car issue, so I can keep the gun in my holster (open or not) while driving. If I was attempting to open carry a long gun,I would run into this issue....I would have to unload and possibly disassemble or lock it up when I got into my car. Also, if I was out hiking and it started to rain, I couldn't just slip the shotty into my pack or under my coat...

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Well..,

Here in Utah we have a Concealed Firearms Permit so I can do it:celebrate

53-5-702 Definitions.
WP Zipped -- 2,213 bytes -- Last Update 22-Apr-05
53-5-702. Definitions.
76-10-501. Definitions

(9) (a) "Firearm" means a pistol, revolver, shotgun, sawed-off shotgun, rifle or sawed-off rifle, or any device that could be used as a dangerous weapon from which is expelled a projectile by action of an explosive.

Demarest

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:

I just called impact Guns and they have 3 left and we have NO restrictions on them here in Utah and just a regular background check:celebrate. NO TAX on it either:lol:
A background check IS a restriction.

@DreQo: I think the topic was asking about open carry, not concealed.

I see three problems. First of all, a slower draw as already mentioned. Secondly, an exposed trigger. When I'm open carrying a pistol, the holster covers all of the trigger gurad. Finally, for states that do not allow the concealment of a long gun, having to transition between loaded and unloaded as you travel would get to be tedious.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Demarest wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

I see three problems. First of all, a slower draw as already mentioned. Secondly, an exposed trigger. When I'm open carrying a pistol, the holster covers all of the trigger gurad. Finally, for states that do not allow the concealment of a long gun, having to transition between loaded and unloaded as you travel would get to be tedious.

The Super Shorty comes with a thigh holster made out of nylon. So the trigger is not exposed

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Demarest wrote:

Uuuhhh, ok hold on. The reason I brought up concealment was because of the issue with some states not allowing concealment for long guns, so one would have issues when in a vehicle, or when it rains, etc...
If I was attempting to open carry a long gun,I would run into this issue....I would have to unload and possibly disassemble or lock it up when I got into my car. Also, if I was out hiking and it started to rain, I couldn't just slip the shotty into my pack or under my coat...
Yet then you find it necessary to correct me, stating that the topic is about Open carry...then seconds later YOU MAKE THE SAME POINT ABOUT CONCEALED CARRY? Riiight.

Anyway that IS another good point about the exposed trigger guard, and I really don't think the shorty can be used as an example in this case, lol. :D

Demarest

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Yet then you find it necessary to correct me, stating that the topic is about Open carry...then seconds later YOU MAKE THE SAME POINT ABOUT CONCEALED CARRY? Riiight.
First of all, whatever's eating you, it's not me. Secondly, I made no points about concealed carry. Finally, regardless of what you think I said, even if it was exactly what you had said, that doesn't mean nobody else can say the same thing. In fact, if you ever encounter such, you should be glad to know that you're not alone.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Demarest wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

You didn't make any points about concealment?????????

Demarest

imported post

DreQo wrote:
You didn't make any points about concealment?????????
Correct. Many states consider the vehicle to be concealment and/or under different rules. For those states, open carry in a vehicle isn't legal. So, in my list of perceived downsides of open carrying a long gun, I pointed out that there could be a lot of loading and unloading. I didn't say there's be a lot of loading and unloading if you were going to conceal it.

Besides, even if somebody DID offer their thoughts on concealment, YOU introduced that element and therefore probably shouldn't exhibit any signs of hostility or bewilderment that they would follow your cue.

Again, feel free to relax.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

*sigh* ya know, UTOC-45-44 was the first one to mention concealment, and I replied to him...but you're right, Ishould calm down, I apologize. Just gettin used to stupid people arguing for the sake of arguing...you did have a good point.

kb0tpz

imported post

What I would like to do is get a mounting bracket installed in my car to fit either a 870 or an ar 15 223 and have it to where I can mount it in the car and lock it in that way I would be able to have access to it if it is needed in a major shoot out and when I run out of bullets in my glock. here in Mo the law states that it is legal to to have a firearm it does not have to be a handgun it can be any type of firearm in your car loaded for self defence purposes it does not matter handgun,shotgun, or Riffle.

protector84

imported post

Arizona also allows open carry of long guns but I wonder if there are any restrictions on how they must be carried. I wonder if you are allowed to carry a shotgun down the street right in your hands. I'm not sure I would want to try it, however. :DCould you also imagine walking into a grocery store with a shotgun and how the people would react?

One small basket of groceries at Fry's: $20

One black leather trenchcoat: $150

One all-black 12-gauge shotgun openly displayed: $300

The look on shoppers' faces: priceless

:D

sedjester

imported post

In Oregon it's called a "Concealed Handgun License" but from my understanding of the law we can carry any firearm loaded with the license.

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8]

Then you look at the following section which applies to concealed firearms:

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;
(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or
(c) Possesses a firearm and:
(A) Is under 18 years of age;
<snip>
And this section means that carrying a firearm, loaded or concealed, does not apply to those with a Concealed Handgun License:

166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250. (1) ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:
(a) Sheriffs, constables, marshals, police officers, whether active or honorably retired, parole and probation officers or other duly appointed peace officers.
(b) Any person summoned by any such officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while said person so summoned is actually engaged in assisting the officer.
(c) The possession or transportation by any merchant of unloaded firearms as merchandise.
(d) Active or reserve members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard or Marine Corps of the United States, or of the National Guard, when on duty.
(e) Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons described in ORS 166.250 from the United States, or from this state.
(f) Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, or the members thereof when going to and from the places of meeting of their organization.
(g) A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.
(h) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.
So even though it's a "Concealed Handgun License" it still exempts me from the law that prohibits carrying loaded firearms either open or concealed.