Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: OC in Philadelphia?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    Hi, I'm from Ohio, I plan on attending the Ron Paul rally in Philadelphia on Nov. 10. I was thinking aboutOC at this event, but I thought I'd ask you guys first. I know that Ohio & Penn. are close as far as OC goes. What would you guys suggest? The rally is being held on public ground atIndependence Mall in Philadelphia.

  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Philly is a 'City of First Class' and open carry is illegal unless you have a PA Permit. You can always apply for a non-resident permit, but I don't know if you'd get it in time.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Unless you have a non-resident LTCF from Pennsylvania (or equivalent), you can't. While unlicensed open carry is legal (but impractical) in most of the state, even open carry on foot within the city limits of Philadelphia requires a Pennsylvania LTCF or a LTCF from a reciprocal state.

    So, unless you're legal within those terms, I'd advise against carrying openly since you'll be inviting police intervention that you can't fend off with PA statutes. Unfortunately, without a proper LTCF, it's difficult to be able to defend oneself in the state's most dangerous city unless one takes the risk of illegally carrying concealed, though the chances of being "discovered" are very low...


    ETA: Bah, beat me to it

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    ETA: Bah, beat me to it
    All that matters is that the information gets there. ;p

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    I hear that this county is fairly simple to get a non-resident permit from:



    http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/l...pplication.asp

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mag-bayonettes!, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Post imported post

    I'm travelling to Philly later this month... anything specific concerning Philly and VA's CHP? I know concealed means concealed but in case I print I don't want to spend a weekend in jail. Damn states without preemption.
    -Unrequited

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    unrequited wrote:
    I'm travelling to Philly later this month... anything specific concerning Philly and VA's CHP? I know concealed means concealed but in case I print I don't want to spend a weekend in jail. Damn states without preemption.

    Oh, there's pre-emption, but the statute falls outside of the exemptions purview. If you hit that link and mail in your application, I've heard people getting a 1-3 week turn around.

    Outside of Philly, Open Carry is legal... if I recall, you can carry fully loaded with one in the pipe. No restrictions on concealed carry if you have your CHP.

    Here's another site with resources for ya: http://www.pafoa.org/law

    Looking at reciprocity, if you had the PA CHP, you'd probably be good in VA as well.

  8. #8
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,441

    Post imported post

    unrequited wrote:
    ...Damn states without preemption.
    Actually, PA does have preemption.
    The reason you need a LTCF (or license from a reciorocal state) to CC and a LTCF to open carry in Phila is because it is written into the state law (Uniform Firearms Act).


    Ref:
    Code:
    6120.  Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition. (preemption)
    
    6108.  Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.

  9. #9
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,441

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    ...While unlicensed open carry is legal (but impractical) in most of the state,...
    Huh?

    Whats ya mean by "impractical"?
    I OC everywhere, form the suburbs of phila to Harrisburg to all over N.E.PA.
    Never had a problem...

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    We still have to get a SEPA/DE gathering going!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    Pa. Patriot wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    ...While unlicensed open carry is legal (but impractical) in most of the state,...
    Huh?

    Whats ya mean by "impractical"?
    I OC everywhere, form the suburbs of phila to Harrisburg to all over N.E.PA.
    Vener had a problem...
    (scratching my Head) WHY in the world would OCing be impractical when it's a right ???

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mag-bayonettes!, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Post imported post

    ahhh, was under the impression it was a city thing. That's confusing. Why have a state law with a city exemption?
    -Unrequited

  13. #13
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,441

    Post imported post

    unrequited wrote:
    ahhh, was under the impression it was a city thing. That's confusing. Why have a state law with a city exemption?
    From what I heard the bill (at the time), aka: the UFA, would not have passed is they didn't write in the phila parts so they stopped their whining.


  14. #14
    Regular Member lprgcFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    245

    Post imported post

    ohc177 wrote:
    ... The rally is being held on public ground atIndependence Mall in Philadelphia.
    Does anyone know if Independence Mall is part of the National Park?
    I know that they have Park Rangers there.

    Firearms are prohibited in National Parks. I know that I have to stay out of Valley Forge National Park unless I'm only on the state highway that runs through (Rts 23 or 252) when I'm carrying.

    When I''m around Independence Mall,I stay on the public streets and stay outside the barricades that are set up to avoid the potential problem there.



  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Pa. Patriot wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    ...While unlicensed open carry is legal (but impractical) in most of the state,...
    Huh?

    Whats ya mean by "impractical"?
    I OC everywhere, form the suburbs of phila to Harrisburg to all over N.E.PA.
    Vener had a problem...
    (scratching my Head) WHY in the world would OCing be impractical when it's a right ???
    Ah, there's probably some confusion because I was referring specifically to unlicensed open carry. If one has no license at all, one can't open carry in vehicles. That means that, in addition to not being to defend oneself from carjackings and such, one must stow and unstow, and load and unload one's handgun whenever entering or exiting the vehicle. Which is especially inconvenient when one's only short-barreled gun in a revolver. And one can't open carry in Philadelphia without a license. That's what I meant by saying that unlicensed open carry is "impractical". If one has a PA LTCF or equivalent, then open carry is certainly very practical everywhere in the state.



    On another note, to summarize the preemption issue, basically the only thing that isn't preempted is the amount of licensing necessary to carry. Er, to put it better: no license gets you on-foot open carry, regardless of carry condition, everywhere but Philadelphia. A LTCF from any state in the Union gets you open carry on foot and in car anywhere in the state but Philadelphia. A LTCF from PA or equivalent gets you open or concealed carry anywhere in the state.

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    Pa. Patriot wrote:
    Huh?

    Whats ya mean by "impractical"?
    I OC everywhere, form the suburbs of phila to Harrisburg to all over N.E.PA.
    Never had a problem...
    Right - I OCed this weekend thru PA, at a gas station, subway, etc., no problem at all.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    Pa. Patriot wrote:
    Huh?

    Whats ya mean by "impractical"?
    I OC everywhere, form the suburbs of phila to Harrisburg to all over N.E.PA.
    Never had a problem...
    Right - I OCed this weekend thru PA, at a gas station, subway, etc., no problem at all.
    Mike, I was referring specifically to unlicensed open carry, like I just posted

    Do you OC in PA without a license?

  18. #18
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    Pa. Patriot wrote:
    Huh?

    Whats ya mean by "impractical"?
    I OC everywhere, form the suburbs of phila to Harrisburg to all over N.E.PA.
    Never had a problem...
    Right - I OCed this weekend thru PA, at a gas station, subway, etc., no problem at all.
    Mike, I was referring specifically to unlicensed open carry, like I just posted

    Do you OC in PA without a license?
    If he has his VA License, he shares reciprocity with PA, if I'm correct.


  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Wynder wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    Pa. Patriot wrote:
    Huh?

    Whats ya mean by "impractical"?
    I OC everywhere, form the suburbs of phila to Harrisburg to all over N.E.PA.
    Never had a problem...
    Right - I OCed this weekend thru PA, at a gas station, subway, etc., no problem at all.
    Mike, I was referring specifically to unlicensed open carry, like I just posted

    Do you OC in PA without a license?
    If he has his VA License, he shares reciprocity with PA, if I'm correct.
    That's what I assumed... which means he does not share the unique set of challenges for open carry faced by one who cannot or chooses not to get a LTCF, but can still legally carry firearms.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    , New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    192

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Pa. Patriot wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    ...While unlicensed open carry is legal (but impractical) in most of the state,...
    Huh?

    Whats ya mean by "impractical"?
    I OC everywhere, form the suburbs of phila to Harrisburg to all over N.E.PA.
    Vener had a problem...
    (scratching my Head) WHY in the world would OCing be impractical when it's a right ???
    Ah, there's probably some confusion because I was referring specifically to unlicensed open carry. If one has no license at all, one can't open carry in vehicles. That means that, in addition to not being to defend oneself from carjackings and such, one must stow and unstow, and load and unload one's handgun whenever entering or exiting the vehicle. Which is especially inconvenient when one's only short-barreled gun in a revolver. And one can't open carry in Philadelphia without a license. That's what I meant by saying that unlicensed open carry is "impractical". If one has a PA LTCF or equivalent, then open carry is certainly very practical everywhere in the state.



    On another note, to summarize the preemption issue, basically the only thing that isn't preempted is the amount of licensing necessary to carry. Er, to put it better: no license gets you on-foot open carry, regardless of carry condition, everywhere but Philadelphia. A LTCF from any state in the Union gets you open carry on foot and in car anywhere in the state but Philadelphia. A LTCF from PA or equivalent gets you open or concealed carry anywhere in the state.
    I think having an LTCF from a reciprocating state, such as Florida,allows open carry in Philadelphia too. I don't recall seeing anything that says Philadelphia only acknowledges the PA LTCF. Please correct me if I'm wrong.



    OOPs, I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to the last sentence, specifically the words "or equivalent". My bad.



    Jersey

  21. #21
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,441

    Post imported post

    ยง 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property
    in Philadelphia.
    No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time
    upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of
    the first class unless:
    (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    (2) such person is exempt from licensing under section
    6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried
    without a license).

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    , New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    192

    Post imported post

    thanks PA Patriot! I'm aware of that statute. I just mis-read what imperialism2004 was stating. he was 100% correct because he said valid PA LTCF OR EQUIVALENT. it was completely my fault.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    534

    Post imported post

    Jersey Ron wrote:
    thanks PA Patriot! I'm aware of that statute. I just mis-read what imperialism2004 was stating. he was 100% correct because he said valid PA LTCF OR EQUIVALENT. it was completely my fault.
    Completely off topic, but,good to see you back, Ron! I was afraid that you had either fallen foul of the Sopranos, or somestrange newspecies of federal ninja that the so called War on Terror has spawned!

    TrueBrit.

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,238

    Post imported post

    Put in for a PA LTCF from Centre County. TRUST ME, it'll come in handy.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    , New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    192

    Post imported post

    TrueBrit wrote:
    Jersey Ron wrote:
    thanks PA Patriot! I'm aware of that statute. I just mis-read what imperialism2004 was stating. he was 100% correct because he said valid PA LTCF OR EQUIVALENT. it was completely my fault.
    Completely off topic, but,good to see you back, Ron! I was afraid that you had either fallen foul of the Sopranos, or somestrange newspecies of federal ninja that the so called War on Terror has spawned!

    TrueBrit.
    Too funny!! Nice to be back TrueBrit! After the "spanking" I took from our Super Moderator about something off topic I had to go in "Time-Out". Nice to hear from you too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •