• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Philadelphia?

ohc177

imported post

Hi, I'm from Ohio, I plan on attending the Ron Paul rally in Philadelphia on Nov. 10. I was thinking aboutOC at this event, but I thought I'd ask you guys first. I know that Ohio & Penn. are close as far as OC goes. What would you guys suggest? The rally is being held on public ground atIndependence Mall in Philadelphia.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Philly is a 'City of First Class' and open carry is illegal unless you have a PA Permit. You can always apply for a non-resident permit, but I don't know if you'd get it in time.

imperialism2024

imported post

Unless you have a non-resident LTCF from Pennsylvania (or equivalent), you can't. While unlicensed open carry is legal (but impractical) in most of the state, even open carry on foot within the city limits of Philadelphia requires a Pennsylvania LTCF or a LTCF from a reciprocal state.

So, unless you're legal within those terms, I'd advise against carrying openly since you'll be inviting police intervention that you can't fend off with PA statutes. Unfortunately, without a proper LTCF, it's difficult to be able to defend oneself in the state's most dangerous city unless one takes the risk of illegally carrying concealed, though the chances of being "discovered" are very low...

ETA: Bah, beat me to it :D

unrequited

imported post

I'm travelling to Philly later this month... anything specific concerning Philly and VA's CHP? I know concealed means concealed but in case I print I don't want to spend a weekend in jail. Damn states without preemption.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
I'm travelling to Philly later this month... anything specific concerning Philly and VA's CHP? I know concealed means concealed but in case I print I don't want to spend a weekend in jail. Damn states without preemption.

Oh, there's pre-emption, but the statute falls outside of the exemptions purview. If you hit that link and mail in your application, I've heard people getting a 1-3 week turn around.

Outside of Philly, Open Carry is legal... if I recall, you can carry fully loaded with one in the pipe. No restrictions on concealed carry if you have your CHP.

Here's another site with resources for ya: http://www.pafoa.org/law

Looking at reciprocity, if you had the PA CHP, you'd probably be good in VA as well.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

unrequited wrote:
...Damn states without preemption.

Actually, PA does have preemption.
The reason you need a LTCF (or license from a reciorocal state) to CC and a LTCF to open carry in Phila is because it is written into the state law (Uniform Firearms Act).

Ref:
Code:
6120.  Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition. (preemption)

6108.  Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
...While unlicensed open carry is legal (but impractical) in most of the state,...

Huh?

Whats ya mean by "impractical"?
I OC everywhere, form the suburbs of phila to Harrisburg to all over N.E.PA.
Vener had a problem...
(scratching my Head) WHY in the world would OCing be impractical when it's a right ???

lprgcFrank

imported post

ohc177 wrote:
... The rally is being held on public ground atIndependence Mall in Philadelphia.
Does anyone know if Independence Mall is part of the National Park?
I know that they have Park Rangers there.

Firearms are prohibited in National Parks. I know that I have to stay out of Valley Forge National Park unless I'm only on the state highway that runs through (Rts 23 or 252) when I'm carrying.

When I''m around Independence Mall,I stay on the public streets and stay outside the barricades that are set up to avoid the potential problem there.

imperialism2024

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
...While unlicensed open carry is legal (but impractical) in most of the state,...

Huh?

Vener had a problem...
(scratching my Head) WHY in the world would OCing be impractical when it's a right ???
Ah, there's probably some confusion because I was referring specifically to unlicensed open carry. If one has no license at all, one can't open carry in vehicles. That means that, in addition to not being to defend oneself from carjackings and such, one must stow and unstow, and load and unload one's handgun whenever entering or exiting the vehicle. Which is especially inconvenient when one's only short-barreled gun in a revolver. And one can't open carry in Philadelphia without a license. That's what I meant by saying that unlicensed open carry is "impractical". If one has a PA LTCF or equivalent, then open carry is certainly very practical everywhere in the state.

On another note, to summarize the preemption issue, basically the only thing that isn't preempted is the amount of licensing necessary to carry. Er, to put it better: no license gets you on-foot open carry, regardless of carry condition, everywhere but Philadelphia. A LTCF from any state in the Union gets you open carry on foot and in car anywhere in the state but Philadelphia. A LTCF from PA or equivalent gets you open or concealed carry anywhere in the state.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Huh?

Never had a problem...
Right - I OCed this weekend thru PA, at a gas station, subway, etc., no problem at all.

imperialism2024

imported post

Mike wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:
Huh?

Never had a problem...
Right - I OCed this weekend thru PA, at a gas station, subway, etc., no problem at all.

Mike, I was referring specifically to unlicensed open carry, like I just posted :D

Do you OC in PA without a license?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:
Huh?

Never had a problem...

Mike, I was referring specifically to unlicensed open carry, like I just posted :D

If he has his VA License, he shares reciprocity with PA, if I'm correct.

imperialism2024

imported post

Wynder wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:
Huh?

Never had a problem...

If he has his VA License, he shares reciprocity with PA, if I'm correct.
That's what I assumed... which means he does not share the unique set of challenges for open carry faced by one who cannot or chooses not to get a LTCF, but can still legally carry firearms.

Jersey Ron

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Huh?

Vener had a problem...
Ah, there's probably some confusion because I was referring specifically to unlicensed open carry. If one has no license at all, one can't open carry in vehicles. That means that, in addition to not being to defend oneself from carjackings and such, one must stow and unstow, and load and unload one's handgun whenever entering or exiting the vehicle. Which is especially inconvenient when one's only short-barreled gun in a revolver. And one can't open carry in Philadelphia without a license. That's what I meant by saying that unlicensed open carry is "impractical". If one has a PA LTCF or equivalent, then open carry is certainly very practical everywhere in the state.

On another note, to summarize the preemption issue, basically the only thing that isn't preempted is the amount of licensing necessary to carry. Er, to put it better: no license gets you on-foot open carry, regardless of carry condition, everywhere but Philadelphia. A LTCF from any state in the Union gets you open carry on foot and in car anywhere in the state but Philadelphia. A LTCF from PA or equivalent gets you open or concealed carry anywhere in the state.

I think having an LTCF from a reciprocating state, such as Florida,allows open carry in Philadelphia too. I don't recall seeing anything that says Philadelphia only acknowledges the PA LTCF. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

OOPs, I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to the last sentence, specifically the words "or equivalent". My bad.

Jersey