• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry your gun

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Think about this quote when you holster your weapon and leave the house every day.

"Fire and wind come from the Sky, from the Gods of the Sky, but Crom is your God, Crom... and he lives in the Earth. Once Giants lived in the Earth, Conan... and in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom... and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered, and the Earth shook, and fire and wind stuck down these Giants... and they threw their bodies into the waters... but in their rage, the Gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield... and we who found it, are just men. Not Gods, Not Giants, just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery; you must learn its riddle, Conan... you must learn its disciplin... for noone, noone in this world can you trust... Not men, not women, not beasts... THIS (pointing at his Sword) you can trust."

~Conan's Dad

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I prefer;

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...
My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...
My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life...
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!
Some minor substitutions such as 'pistol' in the place of 'rifle' are appropriate to preserve the mission of exposed carry of handguns.

expvideo

imported post

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
-Luke 22:36 (Jesus tells his deciples to arm themselves when he is gone)

Full relevant text:
Luke 22:35-38

[35] Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?"

"Nothing," they answered.

[36] He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. [37] It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment."

[38] The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords."

"That is enough," he replied.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ralphb72 wrote:
"[38] The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords."

"That is enough," he replied. "

CAREFUL, people will start saying that Jesus says each person only needs two guns!!

Nah, Jesus likes guns.

He cool wit it.

holycombat1.jpg

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

"That is enough" is literally translated "enough of such talk" i.e. - "this converstation's over."

Tomahawk wrote:
ralphb72 wrote:
"[38] The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords."

"That is enough," he replied. "

CAREFUL, people will start saying that Jesus says each person only needs two guns!!
Worse, only two knives...

expvideo

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
"That is enough" is literally translated "enough of such talk" i.e. - "this converstation's over."

No it's not. The origional translation from Greek is what gives us that english phrase. The church has tried to spin it in the way that you are saying it means, but in reality the greek word for enough does not have that meaning. It can be translated to "sufficient" or "plenty", but it doesn't have the english translation of "No more" or "stop it".

Here's my source:
For a good laugh, read how The Message of Eugene H. Peterson has translated the end of Luke 22:38.

Message .... But he said, "Enough of that; no more sword talk!"
Whenever I present this verse to churches it invariably draws uproarious laughter, as well as it should. It has never been necessary for me to explain what is wrong with this translation. It makes an obvious mockery of the meaning of the verse, and even a child can see that it is a non sequitur, whether or not he knows what non sequitur means. Nevertheless, it is fun to look at the Greek here. The Greek word is hikanos, or ikanos, if you want to pronounce it as the modern Greeks would. The word means enough or sufficient. The meanings provided by Liddell Scott's Greek Dictionary are: sufficient, adequate, enough, and 2. sufficient, satisfactory. In Koine Greek, it also may mean much, many, very much in the same way that the words enough and plenty are sometimes used interchangeably. In English we might say that we have enough money to go out to a restaurant, or we might say that we have plenty of money to go out to a restaurant. In English we may also use the word 'enough' as an exclamation meaning "Stop it!" or "No more!" It has no such meaning in Greek. It is only an adjective. Aside from Peterson's rendition, which is the most blatantly incompetent, we have the following similar, but more subtle, attempts at blurring the purport of the verse:

Living Bible: ... "Enough!" he said.

CEV: ... "Enough of that!" Jesus replied.

TEV: ... "That is enough!" he answered.

NAB: ... But he replied, "It is enough!"

From http://av1611.com/kjbp/ridiculous-kjv-bible-corrections/The-Sword-Verse.html