• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A school (K-12 and college) question...

GunnyG

imported post

I was cruisin the 'net, looking for recent info regarding concealed and unconcealed carryin my (once again) home state, and found this great site!

I've had a CPL here since early 1989, but spent most ofthe mean time elsewhere on active duty.

Now I'm home, a 43 yo retiree, and back in the classroom myself. It seems that I can legally lock up my pistol in thetruck while I visitmy kids' school (I'm onlegitimate business, assisting in a 5th grade computer class).

My question arises from:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

.... (f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school;

(g) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age who is in lawful possession of an unloaded firearm, secured in a vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school; or....
Would I becorrect in reading thatsubparagraph (f) specifically addresses, and permits, any loaded firearms I might bring onto the K-12 school's parking lot, and (g) covers the same rifle/pistol/shotgun,when it's unloaded?

On a related note:Any guesses on how farWAC 132C-120-120 extends into a state college parking lot, if I happen to gotothe pistol range before going to class, without driving all the way home first?

joeroket

imported post

As long as the firearm is locked in the vehicle and out of site you are allowed to have it in your truck on k12 grounds. Since you have a CPL there is no requirement to unload a pistol but rifles must be unloaded if memory serves correct anytime they are in a vehicle.

As far as the College it appears that the WAC's keep you from having a firearm at all on any college property, mind you the rules are different for each college. Look at this WAC, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=132C-120-100, and it tells you the jurisdiction that 132C has. Since firearms are disallowed under http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=132C-120-065the college says it is a no-no to bring them on any property owned by the college or at any collegerelated activity or function.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
As far as the College it appears that the WAC's keep you from having a firearm at all on any college property, mind you the rules are different for each college. Look at this WAC, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=132C-120-100, and it tells you the jurisdiction that 132C has. Since firearms are disallowed under http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=132C-120-065the college says it is a no-no to bring them on any property owned by the college or at any collegerelated activity or function.

I read that as prohibiting the STUDENT from having a firearms on campus, not me! The Penalty is "immediate disciplinary action".

Did I miss something?

expvideo

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
joeroket wrote:

I read that as prohibiting the STUDENT from having a firearms on campus, not me! The Penalty is "immediate disciplinary action".

Did I miss something?
The college restricts students from carrying guns, but has no right to tell you, as a non-student, not to carry. They can ask you to leave the property and have you arrested for trespassing if you refuse to leave, but it is completely legal for you to carry on a college campus.

GunnyG

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Right Wing Wacko wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Did I miss something?
The college restricts students from carrying guns, but has no right to tell you, as a non-student, not to carry. They can ask you to leave the property and have you arrested for trespassing if you refuse to leave, but it is completely legal for you to carry on a college campus.
That's the way I understand it, too. A non student on a college campus has no fear of disciplinary action, because they can't be expelled or suspended, etc. from that school.

Unfortunately, I don't seethatthere is any incongruity in the two circumstances, either: I, being a legal gun owner (and not a K-12 student), am permitted to have firearms on the K-12 campus, if I meet certain storage conditions. I am not allowed to do the same on a college campus,if I am a student there.

The range and my school arewithin 2 miles of each other. I wonder if I could appeal this to the dean ecologically, citing the subsequent increase in my carbon footprint, if I drive all the way home from the range, before going to class that day?

expvideo

imported post

GunnyG wrote:
That's the way I understand it, too. A non student on a college campus has no fear of disciplinary action, because they can't be expelled or suspended, etc. from that school.

Unfortunately, I don't seethatthere is any incongruity in the two circumstances, either: I, being a legal gun owner (and not a K-12 student), am permitted to have firearms on the K-12 campus, if I meet certain storage conditions. I am not allowed to do the same on a college campus,if I am a student there.

The range and my school arewithin 2 miles of each other. I wonder if I could appeal this to the dean ecologically, citing the subsequent increase in my carbon footprint, if I drive all the way home from the range, before going to class that day?
I doubt you'll have any luck with that. You'd have better luck not bringing any attention to yourself and just carrying anyway. There is nothing in the law that says you can't carry at the college, even as a student. You can be expelled, but there is no legal action they can take against you.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There is another exeption that was brought to mind this morning when my 16 year old missed the school bus and I had to drive her to school.
(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;
Ok, I was packing... and it was legal, because all I did was drive her to school and drop her off.

Now... My wife happens to work for the school district. Apparenty, while I can legally drop off or pick up my daughter.... my wife will have to walk.

joeroket

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
There is another exeption that was brought to mind this morning when my 16 year old missed the school bus and I had to drive her to school.
(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

Now... My wife happens to work for the school district.
The Marysville School District or are you in Lakewood? I ask because I work for the Marysville School District.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
The Marysville School District or are you in Lakewood? I ask because I work for the Marysville School District.
My daugher goes to Marysville HS. However the place I had to drop her off this morning was the Sno-Isle Skills center at Paine Field. I'm not sure what the "law" is there, but I'll assume it's covered as a school just to be safe.

My wife works for the Lake Stevens SD. I seldem ever have to drop her off or pick her up these days, but it use to happen quite a bit.

I find it interesting that I can legallydrop of or pick up a student whilecarrying but not an employee.

heresolong

imported post

.... (f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school;

Why wouldn't the previously referenced WAC apply? You are conducting legitimate business by dropping off your wife.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

heresolong wrote:

Why wouldn't the previously referenced WAC apply? You are conducting legitimate business by dropping off your wife.

I would think that to use this provision I would have to unholster the weapon, secure and conceal it from view somewhere within the vehicle.

I suppose one could argue that it's secured in it's holster and concealed under my shirt.

GunnyG

imported post

expvideo wrote:
GunnyG wrote:

I doubt you'll have any luck with that. You'd have better luck not bringing any attention to yourself and just carrying anyway. There is nothing in the law that says you can't carry at the college, even as a student. You can be expelled, but there is no legal action they can take against you.
Oops! I forgot to put in the "I was being sarcastic" emoticon when I posted that:D.

G27

imported post

This brings up good questons. Quite frankly, if you are CC'in then noone should ever know you have a gun to begin with. I feel personally it's a bit outlandish and irresponsible to OC it at a college campus, but that is just my personal opinon. I CC everytime I go visit my GF at WSU. I'm not going to let my 2a rights get her in trouble or kicked out of school. :)

GunnyG

imported post

G27 wrote:
This brings up good questons. Quite frankly, if you are CC'in then noone should ever know you have a gun to begin with. I feel personally it's a bit outlandish and irresponsible to OC it at a college campus, but that is just my personal opinon. I CC everytime I go visit my GF at WSU. I'm not going to let my 2a rights get her in trouble or kicked out of school. :)
Agreed.The original intent of my question wasn't even to carry, but to merely possess firearms that aresecured in my vehicle. In certain and reasonable circumstances, I can legally do it at my kids' K-12 school, but my student status effectively discourages me from the same practice while on a college campus largely inhabited by fellow adults.

The likelihood of them doing a vehicle search is pretty slim, or I could parkon theretirement home side of the street, just beyond the jurisdiction of the school.

I suspect that I'm preachin' to the choir here, but it just seems rather absurd.

just_a_car

imported post

You need to attend the UW.

I reference my responses in the following threads:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=2933&forum_id=55

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=2916&forum_id=55

As is evidenced, we have a different (and more gun-friendly) code of conduct; not gun-tolerant, but it has that little bit about not denying constitutional rights which at least gives a legal "out" for any student caught CC'ing on campus. To OC on campus would just be kinda dumb until such time as we never have people calling 911 on average OC'ing citizens.