• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why you need a gun in Goochland

67GT390FB

imported post

This happened to some family friends Monday night around 11:00pm in Goochland on 522 a few miles north of the County Admin Building. At around 11:00 pm a masked man forced entry into a home occupied by two 90+ year old men. The one man is 94 years old was downstairs reading when the masked man forced the front door open. The man calls for his brother upstairs to get the pistol as he is struggling with the masked man who was hitting him with a stick. Too bad the brother who is upstairs is hard of hearing and didn't bring the gun but between the two of them they were able to chase off the bad guy. Both suffered cuts and bruises but were otherwise unharmed. They tried to call 911 but the bad guy had yanked the phone lines out of the box outside before coming in. He left fingerprints and lost his shoe during the fight/flight so hopefully they will be able to find this sob.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Absolutely. There have been home invasion murders in this county as well.

That is why we have guns where my wife and I can get to them, but intruders and kids cannot - at a moment's notice. It became painfull obvious , especially back during Isabelle, that you won't always be able to call the cops, and they won't always be there in time, even with a security system.

We practice getting to our guns in the dark, opening the safes, even while tired, just like you practice escape plans if the house were on fire.

Of course I carry inside the house often, and always while outside on my property. Had a gun on my hip a couple of months ago when a couple of unsavory looking chars were driving slowly back and forth up our road (which is unusual, since everyone goes 45 or more - some more like 70 :lol:), while my wife and small son were on the front porch.

They pulled into the driveway , just then I stepped out from inside. I saw the look of dismay on their faces when they saw my gun. They quickly backed out onto the road. I don't know for sure they were up to no good, but the look of guilt on their faces told me al I needed to know.

What I would really like would be some type of bandolier style shoulder carry rig, to just throw over my shoulder; so I would have somewhere to hold my gun if i need to use my hands for something else when I hear something at night -

for example if it turned out to be a fire and I need to carry my boys out, would be handy to have somewhere to stick the gun without having had to pause to put on my pants

Tomahawk

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
What I would really like would be some type of bandolier style shoulder carry rig, to just throw over my shoulder; so I would have somewhere to hold my gun if i need to use my hands for something else when I hear something at night -

for example if it turned out to be a fire and I need to carry my boys out, would be handy to have somewhere to stick the gun without having had to pause to put on my pants
You could use a SafePacker with a shoulder strap...