• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPD Starting to play hardball

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

As I mentioned in Mainsail's thread about privacy decisions, the OPD is starting to play a bit hard now.

Lt. Wilson is claiming a right to "officer safety" and falling back on the old "warrants alarm" BS. Further states about opening up my backpack without my permission "where would they put the gun?" I said "how about back in my holster where it lawfully belongs?" Then he goes into the usual "what if you pulled it on the officers as they walked off?" This after acknowledging that I am an "upstanding citizen" and clearly not a danger to the community. He added "we all just want to be able to go home at night" and goes into how people can be unstable, to which I responded "Like the deputy in wisconsion or David Brame in Tacoma?" I wish I could have seen him turn red at that but we were talking on the phone. He assures me how officers are "highly trained" blah blah blah blah

I tell him I will continue to OC, and will probably do it more often now. He says the people of olympia will "have to get used to the idea."

He told me when I do have a meeting that I can only bring other people along "if the other officers consent"

The other officers are just puppets doing what they have been programmed to do. I am going after the Puppet Master now. As soon as I hear back from Wilson next weekI will be going to the Chief of Police and the City Attorney.

OTOH I am only working a few flexible hours Saturday. Anyone up for a picnic at Percival Landing?

I can be reached after 7pm at Three Six Oh Four Five One Nine Seven One Zero

Am trying to install and configure a decent Linux build on my computer so am offline except for public terminals.

Steve

Drewesque

imported post

I'm all for something in Oly. I'd probably be able to actually make it to something, then, since I'm in Lacey.

Let me know if something comes together. A private message on here would be best. I'd call you, but my work schedule kind of conflicts with everyone else. I'm only awake when everyone's sleeping, generally. I'm willing to make an exception for something like this, though.

BIll98501

imported post

I live south of Oly, all these Oly area people finally got me to register.

j2l3

imported post

Just a suggestion, but how about putting together a packet of opinions, from as many in-state authorities as possible that see things our way, as well as all the training bulletins from the departments that have issued them.

Post them here so that EVERYONE can print them.

Then....

Everyone who reads this forum, whether from Washington or not can mail a complete set to the Chief or Sherrif, theMayor, County Executive and whatever attorney's are responsible in whatever jurisdiction is having a problem. Seemsto me, it will be hard for the cities and counties to ignore if they receive dozens or even hundreds of copies, all telling them the same thing.

I'd be more than happy to send out as many copies as are necessary, I'm sure most others would as well.

John

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Just a suggestion, but how about putting together a packet of opinions, from as many in-state authorities as possible that see things our way, as well as all the training bulletins from the departments that have issued them.

Post them here so that EVERYONE can print them.

Then....

Everyone who reads this forum, whether from Washington or not can mail a complete set to the Chief or Sherrif, theMayor, County Executive and whatever attorney's are responsible in whatever jurisdiction is having a problem. Seemsto me, it will be hard for the cities and counties to ignore if they receive dozens or even hundreds of copies, all telling them the same thing.

I'd be more than happy to send out as many copies as are necessary, I'm sure most others would as well.
That sounds like a fine idea. Nice way to distribute the dissemination of very much needed information.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Good idea, I have much of this stuff on my laptop, but is not handy to pull out when Officer Dingbat or whomever wants to start trouble. Will have to print them and put them in a folder in my backpack. (And yes, I'm in a bad mood today :)sorry)

Steve

John Hardin

imported post

I have produced pamphlets that you can print out double-sided on regular size paper and fold up for your wallet, one for firearms laws and another for training bulletins regarding OC.

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/firearms_laws_washington.pdf

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/open_carry_training_bulletins_washington.pdf

I'm contemplating one with the court opinions mentioned in this thread, and from other sources that seem appropriate:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/5251.html

j2l3

imported post

Thanks Mr. Hardin, once all the documents are available to all, then we should each print copies to mail with a personal letter of outrage to the jurisdiction causing the trouble.

Printing them to carry isn't a bad idea either.

sv_libertarian... if you could maked the documents you have in your computer available by posting them here, perhaps we could all help you with a mail campaign.

cato

imported post

Is there any way to certify the contents of a certified / registered letter so as to prove "service" of the information for later legal issues?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Just keep OCing - the more people doing it routinely the better, and make complaints if harassed and the rogue LEOs will eventually be told to knock it off.

j2l3

imported post

cato wrote:
Is there any way to certify the contents of a certified / registered letter so as to prove "service" of the information for later legal issues?
I don't know of any way to certify the contents of a letter to prove they were inside the envelope. Most courts will accept the proof of delivery as proof the documents you say were sent were actually there. I always have a complete copy of everything I send certified mail, with the date and time as well as the tracking number written on it.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

j2l3 wrote:
sv_libertarian... if you could maked the documents you have in your computer available by posting them here, perhaps we could all help you with a mail campaign.

Oh I just have all the currently available training bulletins, and some excerpts from State V Day at the moment. Until I get @#$# ndiswrapper and my linux kernel talking to each other I don't get online outside of a public terminal and everything has to be downloaded onto a flash drive and copied to the computer. Most of the space gets devoted to various linux stuff right now, although some Volk images made it home too :D

I put the bulletins on the computer to drag with me next time I meet with Wilson or get to talk to the Chief. The King County one is my personal favorite...

I was planning to print out all the bulletins, some cites from State V Day, and a few others as well that escape my memory.

Even thought about designing a flyer and taping them up around town, but am not pissed enough yet.

Steve

j2l3

imported post

Hang in there Steve, I'm working on gathering all of these documents and will post them here soon. The I will mail copies to the CHief of Police, the Mayor and City Attorney.

Hopefully, others will do the same.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Mike wrote:
Just keep OCing - the more people doing it routinely the better, and make complaints if harassed and the rogue LEOs will eventually be told to knock it off.
It's called a "Return Reciept" request and someone has to sign for the letter and the PO send you that reciept. You can Certify and Return reciept the same item.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Hang in there Steve, I'm working on gathering all of these documents and will post them here soon. The I will mail copies to the CHief of Police, the Mayor and City Attorney.

Hopefully, others will do the same.

Kewl, thanks. IIRC, Oly actually has a City Manager who runs things, and the Mayor is actually a council member who heads the council and is the ceremonial head of the city. So I actually plan to bug the city manager... Of course the council counts, but one of them, TJ Johnson is the WACKJOB FROM HELL, and not someone I want to go to and say "You know, the cops here don't respect my right to OC, and by the way I think you are a @#$@# idiot for being offended by military ships in the bay here...." :lol: But I digress....

I had actually planned on assembling a bunch of stuff monday, so will see what you put together and what I put together, and combine the two... Am thinking about trying to get into the Chief's office tomorow and talk with him for a bit, or may wait and see what Wilson comes back with first. He's trying to shift the issue from OC to if the cops acted normal though, so am about to go over his head...

Steve

j2l3

imported post

True, but that didn;t actually answer the question. He wanted to know if there was a way to certify the contents of the letter.

j2l3

imported post

Okay, I should be posting some stuff tomorrow. I am searching the AG Opinions now.

Gotta love those council members who have no brains... offended by military ships in the bay?? Geezzzz

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Gotta love those council members who have no brains... offended by military ships in the bay?? Geezzzz

Oh yes, during Lakefair, the Lakefair organizers invited a ship from Everett, and a couple of Canadian Navy ships to Oly, but both navies wanted police security. The Good People of Olympia, and The Honorable TJ Johnson (of being arrested in a Port of Tacoma anti war protest fame) threw a hissy fit.

http://www.theolympian.com/news/story/159151.html

http://www.theolympian.com/opinion/story/152365.html

http://www.theolympian.com/letters/story/168480.html

there is gobs more. Go to www.theolympian.com and search do searches involving lakefair, navy ships, TJ Johnson, etc...

Fun ain't it?

Steve