• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self Defense shooting on US-2 in Chelan County

deanf

imported post

http://www.komotv.com/news/10458092.html

By Associated Press

WENATCHEE, Wash. (AP) - The Chelan County sheriff's office says a man seeking a ride was critically wounded while harassing a driver who stopped at a Highway 2 rest area.

The sheriff's office says 45-year-old Jay Kneer of Renton was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle Wednesday night with a head wound.

Investigators say 66-year-old Dennis Shaw of Lynnwood and his wife had stopped at the Nason Creek rest area 14 miles west of Leavenworth where Kneer asked him for a ride.

When Shaw refused, Kneer became angry, followed Shaw to his car and struck his vehicle window with a glass bottle.

Shaw told investigators the attack continued when he pointed a handgun at Kneer. Shaw says he fired in an attempt to scare Kneer and hit him in the head.

The Shaws were not injured.

carhas0

imported post

I wonder if the shooter actually fired on accident like he said (and it was dumb luck that he shot the suspect in the head) or if he just thought that would be better than saying he shot the suspect on purpose (in self defense).

I was following this article throughout the day and the Seattle PI has a good article that says the bad guy had an extensive record and the police in the area would not respond to calls involving him without backup because he was often combative.

flagwaver

imported post

That is exactly why I carry a pistol, Police would not respond without back up. Most LEO's that are honest about it say that they can only respond after the fact. Which means if I'm not armed and some one pulls a weapon on me I get to call the police and tell them where the pick up the pieces, that is if I have a cell phone, the time to call and I'm in an area that cell phones work. No thanks I carry!

Wheelgunner

imported post

Let me Get this straight.

In a remote public restroom a homeless stranger tries to "get a ride" with you and your wife.

When you politely say "No."Angry stranger becomes a homocidal stranger as he begins threatening you.:cuss:

You backpedal till you can't go any further without putting your wife into the line of your fire and draw your weapon to give the homocidal stranger a chance to back off.:shock:

Homocidal stranger draws a weapon and screaming threats he advances.:shock:

In a rage, the homocidal stranger closes the distance to the point where his weapon is effective, magnified by his six inches of advantage in height and reach. I occurs to you that if you go down, you wife is helpless.:shock:

You fire defensively one shot, instead of"dumpingthe mag" as we have seen in some LEO shootings.:uhoh:

No matter how I look at this, the good guy won.

jimatwen

imported post

A 45 year old man shot in the right temple earlier this month at a rest area along Highway 2 died Saturday night, an official with the Chelan County Sheriff's Office said Monday. Was in today's Wenatchee news paper. No charges are being pursued agianst the 66 year old guy who stood his ground to defend his self and wife.