• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Amazing Boulder PD Encounter

denwego

imported post

Quick background - I happened to be carrying concealed during this, because it's cold for a Texan in Colorado this time of year, and a jacket is standard after sundown in October...

A few minutes ago, as I was coming home from getting some dinner, I was driving down 30th St. and turning to the side street I live on when I noticed an old man collapsed on the side of the road. I pulled over as quick as I could, parked, and ran over to see what was wrong with him, to find him struggling to get back up to his feet. He was a 74 year old WWII vet who lives in the retirement home down the block, trying to walk to the nearby bus stop to go down to the tobacco store for cigars, and as he stepped onto grass, he lost his footing and fell.

From the way he was putting all his might into it just to regain his footing, it was clear he needed medical attention and would never make it back to the home, let alone the store. Holding him up with an arm over my shoulder, I got him across 30th to the benches at the bus stop (with him nearly falling again in the middle of the busy street with no crosswalk, were I not there to support him), and ensured he was going to wait for the next bus and not try to wander off. With him sitting, I hurried back to my car to get my cell phone that I had left in my rush to park and called the police for some sort of medical assistance; not the best, I know, but 911 doesn't work on my cell in this area, and he wasn't in immediate danger so long as he was sitting.

I kept my eye on him for two minutes or so until a police cruiser arrived and two officers came out. One went to check on the old man while I approached the other and informed him I was the one who called, et cetera. As the first one managed to convince the old man to call it a night and worked him slowly back to the car to drive him home, the second got the story rehashed to write down in their notes. After I summed it up for him again, he wanted my contact info, so I gave him my cell number and my drivers license to jot down in case I saw him out again tonight.

Since I was carrying concealed under my jacket, I handed him my CHP with my license. When he saw it, he said, "You carrying your gun tonight?" I said, "Yeah, coming back from dinner." He nodded and handed my CHP back and said, "You know, some people don't like people carrying guns, but the more I meet people with carry permits, the more I realize that you guys who carry guns tend to be who we wish were around all the time. It doesn't surprise me at all that you were the only one who came over to make sure this guy was OK. Busiest road in this part of town and no one else even called us."

I thanked him generously, since that was about the least likely response I could've imagined getting. I told him I thought it was very sad that no one else did, that Boulder considers itself so morally superior but that they don't even notice an old man lying on the side of a busy road. And I thanked him for his views on CHP-holders, to which he said, "That's what I mean. People who get a carry permit to take care of themselves are the ones who take care of others as well. I'm always glad to see how responsible you guys are when it comes to everything."

By then, the old man was in the car, so we thanked each other and went our separate ways. I don't think it could've gone better in my wildest dreams... you'd never think BPD would say something like that! Amazing!

---

Addendum - Without sequenda this into the story, I've decided to try and parlay this exceedingly positive interaction into working on greater acceptance of OCing by law-abiding citizens. Since I know there's at least one corporal on the force with such a view of lawful gun owners, I thought I might contact him through his card on getting a training bulletin circulated amongst BPD. Rather than trying to contact a supervisor or other higher-up out of the blue, this might be a fine foot in the door situation amongst the folks who are actually out on the street, who in turn might bring it up with their bosses on their own. Could be a great way to take a good interaction and make it even better!

denwego

imported post

I thought about that age thing myself. My dad was born in '33 and would be older than this guy claimed to be, but I didn't ask about it after he mentioned it. He just said he was a WWII vet after he said that if he was still in bad shape tomorrow, he'd go down to the VA hospital (trying to convince me that he didn't need me to call anyone tonight, but he was too weak and disoriented to be left alone).

Immortal_Ben

imported post

A truly amazing encounter in Boulder. I never would have expected it, but am happy to hear about it.

Had a similar thing happen to me in Albuquerque, NM but I was OCing, and the police never mentioned my weapon.

Immortal_Ben

imported post

Yeah I forgot to ask about your phone. 911 is supposed to work no matter WHOSE tower you are near. Even if you don't have a cell plan, its supposed to be able to dial 911. I do believe its a law of some sort.

denwego

imported post

The problem with my cell and 911 is that I still have a Waco TX number, and my ancient phone predates Active 911; as a result, while I can dial without a plan on any tower, it automatically connects to the Waco 911 call center because it can't descern my location. I was in Austin about four years ago and saw a car accident, and found this out through experience... they may have changed it since then, but it's hard to put it to the test outside of an actual emergency.

Cue-Ball

imported post

Actually, you can call 911 even if it's not an emergency. Call during the day, when it's not as busy. When they pick up tell them that you're placing a non-emergency call to verify that the connection works in case of an actual emergency.

I actually recommend that people make a similar call from their home phones, especially if they've recently moved, changed land-line providers, etc. This way you can verify that your name and address come up correctly on the department's computers. If you ever REALLY need 911, you'll know that it works and that they have the right address.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

SHOCKED! :shock:

Of course the cop's right... but so amazing to hear him say it!

:celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

yankees98a

imported post

Could just say he was very professional and showed concern.. Dont have to mention he shares the same beliefs, etc.

PT111

imported post

denwego - I am not sure that I can believe your story because I have been led to believe that any interaction with a LEO while OC immediately results in illegal arrest and confiscation of the firearm. Therefore I am highly doubtful that such a person exists that could be pro carry and a LEO. :lol:

PurplePeopleEater

imported post

As a gun-loving student of CU and resident of Boulder, I can say that I have met several cops who are very much pro-gun at the BPD.

I've also met a couple who were very much anti-gun.

I should probably start my own thread haha.