• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USMC Museum

vrwmiller

imported post

I am planning to head down to the USMC Museum in the Dumfries/Triangle/Quantico area this weekend and am wondering if hadnguns are prohibited at the facility in either an OC or CC scenario.

I've been to the website and it appears they have a range on the property, but are the carrying of firearms regulated on the property?

It does not appear to be federal property at all, but is partially funded by federal funds.

Anyone know?

Slowhand

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
I am planning to head down to the USMC Museum in the Dumfries/Triangle/Quantico area this weekend and am wondering if hadnguns are prohibited at the facility in either an OC or CC scenario.

I've been to the website and it appears they have a range on the property, but are the carrying of firearms regulated on the property?

It does not appear to be federal property at all, but is partially funded by federal funds.

Anyone know?

I am a member of the Quantico Shooting Club. Here are the rules for transporting firearms and ammunition on Marine Base Quantico.

http://quanticoshootingclub.com/qsc.php?view=transport

admiral

imported post

I have contacted the securitymanager at the museum and he sent me the following:

Only sworn Law Enforcement Officers or Special Agents are permitted to
enter
this facility with a firearm. They are required to show me their
agency
credentials before being granted access to the museum. Also, we are
MCBQ
property so all laws and regulations governing DOD facilities applies.
I
hope this has answered your inquire?

Have a good day

James L. Ryan
Security Manager
National Museum of the Marine Corps
18900 Jefferson Davis Highway
Triangle, VA 22172-1938
703-784-6102 (W)
571-229-8176 (C)
703-432-0029 (Fax)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

admiral wrote:
I have contacted the securitymanager at the museum and he sent me the following:

enter
agency
MCBQ
I

Have a good day

James L. Ryan
Security Manager
No problemo....concealed means concealed! ;)

Ric in Richmond

imported post

HankT wrote:
admiral wrote:

enter
agency
MCBQ
I

Have a good day

James L. Ryan
Security Manager
Of all the places in all the world where I MIGHT test "concealed is concealed"....quantico marine base HAS to be one of the absolute last places I would attempt it!!!!

cREbralFIX

imported post

I do know many museums run by .gov do use metal detectors and searches. Leave it in the car, along with your knives. You are not trustworthy enough as a member of the peasant class.

hsmith

imported post

HankT wrote:
admiral wrote:

enter
agency
MCBQ
I

Have a good day

James L. Ryan
Security Manager
Pushing it at the mall is a bit different than pushing it at the Marine base.

Not the best idea IMO.

Secure the firearm in your trunk with the ammo secured elsewhere. No ammo in the magazines.

hsmith

imported post

Slowhand wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

Anyone know?

I am a member of the Quantico Shooting Club. Here are the rules for transporting firearms and ammunition on Marine Base Quantico.

How is the shootin club? I am working at Quantico now and wouldn't mind being able to shoot during my lunch break or after work.

Slowhand

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Slowhand wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

Anyone know?

How is the shootin club? I am working at Quantico now and wouldn't mind being able to shoot during my lunch break or after work.
I actually have not been to the range in years. The problem with the club is that they only have access to the ranges on certain days and times. And you have to call Thursday nights and check a recording to see when and if the ranges will be open. It depends on whether or not a range master is available to volunteer to work that particular range. The rifle range usully was only open on Saturday or Sunday mornings for only 3 or 4 hours. But that was some time ago. I don't know if anything has changed. All of my shooting buddies all got married, had families and/or moved away so I stopped going. But that also had to do with the incovenience of the range schedules.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
HankT wrote:
admiral wrote:

enter
agency
MCBQ
I

Have a good day

James L. Ryan
Security Manager
Of all the places in all the world where I MIGHT test "concealed is concealed"....quantico marine base HAS to be one of the absolute last places I would attempt it!!!!
Not to mention the proximity to the FBI Academy and your chances of running into an agent taking a break by visiting the museum. A really dumb thing to advocate.

zoom6zoom

imported post

The museum is across Rt. 1 from the base gate. You don't pass through the gate to get to it. On an older map, this was shown as a county park land, not part of the base. That could have changed, of course.

Don't look to me to be the test case, though.

longwatch

imported post

If they claim to be base property under the control of the Quantico Commanding General, then what he says goes. Beats me what the penalty is, I don't want to find out either. Yes I am chicken because I've taken to many guys to a Marine Corps Brig and seen how unpleasant even a short stay is.:dude:

VAopencarry

imported post

Another sad fact, when being an active duty member and fighting for those freedoms you do not have/cannot exercise the freedoms you are prepared to die for. Oh well, can't complain ,we knew that going into it, more or less.

longwatch

imported post

Yes Marines get to fight for and protect freedom, not practice it. Kinda fitting in a sad way that the museum continues that policy.