• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USMC Museum

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
4 Marines is still a fireteam last time I checked.

Thanks. I'd lost track.

I thought something might have changed after they invented brass cartridges.

It was hell training VAopencarry not to bite the bullet off the end of the brass cartridge and pour the powder down the muzzle.

Tomahawk

imported post

As long as you pick your teeth with a guidon stick it's okay to be old Corps.

ABout 10 years ago I went my reserve unit's MC Ball and the guest of honor was a 94-year-old WWI Marine vet. He was like 15 when he lied about his age and enlisted, and saw some hard combat.

Iknow I'm notquite up to that level of "automatic badass just for still being alive" yet.

TEX1N

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
We'll consider it a short squad...

Citizen, Longwatch, VAopencarry, TEX1N, Bulldog, and me. That's at least 6 in the NOVA area I know of. Anyone else I'm missing?
SIGarmed229...but he's been MIA for awhile.

Tomahawk

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
10 November's not far away. We should a Leatherneck OC event.
Not a bad idea and it is a Saturday...maybe we could open carry at the Museum?:shock:
Covered earlier in the thread. Museum's federal, no go. Although it would be awesome. Come to think of it, I wonder if the museum is having any special events that day. Might be worth it to check the website or call them. If so, museum by day, followed by OC dinner, maybe.

vrwmiller

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
kaiheitai17 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Not a bad idea and it is a Saturday...maybe we could open carry at the Museum?:shock:
Covered earlier in the thread. Museum's federal, no go. Although it would be awesome. Come to think of it, I wonder if the museum is having any special events that day. Might be worth it to check the website or call them. If so, museum by day, followed by OC dinner, maybe.
While I was at the museum, I had a conversation with one of the staff. November 10th will be their 1 year anniversary. Would only make sense that they have stuff going on.

Additionally, they'll be changing out the "Iwo Jima" flag displays that day. They display the 1st and 2nd flags raised at Iwo Jima for 6 month stints. The first flag's stint ends Nov 9th and the 2nd flag will begin it's 6 month stint on display.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SNIP We'll consider it a short squad...
I well recall my first inspection assquad leader. Maybe my third or fourth formation as an NCO. I had the 3rd squad.

The XO asked how many Marines I had in my squad. Ohhhhh, myyyyy God!! I had never counted!!!

I took a wild stab at it, faking confidence.Seven, sir!!

XO: "I count eight."

"Oh, $#%&!," I thought to myself.

Fortunately, theGunnypointed out that the eighth man was in fact the platoon sergeant, who had moved to his customary positionat the end of 3rd squadafter turning over the platoon to the platoon leader.

"Whew!!" That was close. :)

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
kaiheitai17 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
While I was at the museum, I had a conversation with one of the staff. November 10th will be their 1 year anniversary. Would only make sense that they have stuff going on.

Additionally, they'll be changing out the "Iwo Jima" flag displays that day. They display the 1st and 2nd flags raised at Iwo Jima for 6 month stints. The first flag's stint ends Nov 9th and the 2nd flag will begin it's 6 month stint on display.

I know it was covered, guess I should've put a smiley face at the end of the sentence.

Perhaps Citzen should conduct a short arms inspection??? :what:

TEX1N

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I well recall my first inspection assquad leader. Maybe my third or fourth formation as an NCO. I had the 3rd squad.

The XO asked how many Marines I had in my squad. Ohhhhh, myyyyy God!! I had never counted!!!

I took a wild stab at it, faking confidence.Seven, sir!!

XO: "I count eight."

"Oh, $#%&!," I thought to myself.

Fortunately, theGunnypointed out that the eighth man was in fact the platoon sergeant, who had moved to his customary positionat the end of 3rd squadafter turning over the platoon to the platoon leader.

"Whew!!" That was close. :)

My response probably would've been, "PFC Smuckatelly is at Dental, Sir!"

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Citizen wrote:

"All of them are Marines, Sir!" And I'm an old bubblehead that can still properly wear my Crackerjacks with their thirteen-button 'tablecloth.'

Of course, in my day we had easier relation with command than now or the USMC.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA/GOP KMA$$