• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Shooting biased article?

vrwmiller

imported post

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-10-11-school-shooting_N.htm

This article seems to explain that reactive and/or feel-good measures will not help to curb the shool violence we see in this country, but it falls short of saying that allowing responsible adults (educators, in this particular case) would have been able to stop the tradegy. It focuses more on identifying and investigating pre-incident indicators.

While I agree that identifying pre-incident indicators is crucial to the curbing of violence, even this won't totally stop violence within the schools. Increasing odds of survival or mitigation of threats is also necessary to significantly curb the existence of unnecessary violence in our schools.

The article is not anti-gun rhetoric hell bent on increasing restrictive gun laws. That's why I post it :)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-10-11-school-shooting_N.htm

...The article is not anti-gun rhetoric hell bent on increasing restrictive gun laws. That's why I post it :)

Yeah, it's pretty lucid. Interesting, is this statement:

"It's frustrating to see one shooting after another that could be prevented," said Dewey Cornell, a forensic clinical psychologist at the University of Virginia, who is a consultant on school violence prevention. "Schools have emergency response plans rather than prevention plans.

"Prevention cannot wait until there is a gunman in the parking lot," he said. "There have been more than enough wake-up calls."

I'm sure the MGGLGB crowd would disagree with the parking lot notion. They would actually relish such a time--if they could somehow get teachers/admins armed. Sometimes, the MGGLGB guys actually dream of being at a shooting attack....vicarious thrills of some sort.

Speaking of prevention, I wonder where the 14-year old kid got the guns?

Did he buy them? Or did some fool gun-owner leave them exposed for him? I haven't seen the story on the source of the guns yet. Anybody know?

14-year olds shouldn't have handguns. 14-year olds, as a group, are potentially pretty stupid with handguns.

Unless there are some really extenuating circumstances, I think the source of the guns that Coon used to shoot up his school and kill people should be tried and convicted of something, maybe accessory to attempted murder. Unless there are some really extenuating circumstances the gun source should spend 10 or 20 years in jail.

No one could possibly defend the despicable gun source. Could they?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

"Districtwide, the city schools reported 100 cases of students possessing a gun last year, 55 the year before, and 136 cases in the 2004-2005 school year."

The district school administration should all be fired immediately. This is pure incompetence. The highest this number should be is 1.

October 12, 2007

School security didn’t deter Cleveland shooter
Officials investigating why threats from teen went unaddressed

ASSOCIATED PRESS

CLEVELAND — Despite 26 school security cameras, officials couldn’t say yesterday how an armed, suspended 14-year-old student was able to get into SuccessTech Academy on Wednesday and shoot two students and two teachers before killing himself.

School officials also were investigating how warning signs from the troubled student, including threats made last week, apparently went unheeded.

Police were checking surveillance video for clues as to how Asa Coon, armed with two handguns, was able to enter the alternative school in Cleveland.

Police Chief Michael McGrath said a classmate could have let him in a back door.

Coon was a new student at the school, but the district has a dossier on past problems. He had mental-health problems, spent time in two juvenile facilities, and was suspended from school last year for attempting to harm a student, according to juvenile court records.

Coon appeared to be both aggressor and victim.

He was the subject of a juvenile court neglect case at age 4, came from a poor home, and routinely showed up to school unkempt. He also had been suspended for fighting, and classmates say he had made threats, including to blow up the school and stab everybody.

“When he got suspended, he was like, ‘I got something for you all,’” said student Frances Henderson, who fought with Coon.

“That child was tormented from his classmates every single day,” Christina Burns, who volunteered at a school Coon previously attended, said yesterday. “Everybody’s making him out to be a devil, a demon, but nobody knows what was going on with this kid.”

Coon, who had previously threatened suicide, on Wednesday wore black clothing, black-painted fingernails, and a Marilyn Manson T-shirt — the shock rocker Coon said he chose to worship instead of God.

After wounding the students and teachers, Coon shot himself behind his right ear. Coroner Frank Miller ruled the death a suicide.

Students said metal detectors were used intermittently at the school. None was operating on Wednesday, two days after Coon had been suspended.

Chief McGrath, asked how Coon got past an armed guard or whether warning signs were missed, said he couldn’t comment. He said police work with school officials on where to locate metal detectors, based in part on crime in schools.

Charles Blackwell, president of SuccessTech’s student-parent organization, said the position of a second security guard had been eliminated because of lack of money.

SuccessTech Academy had no reports of student discipline problems in the last three years, according to state data.

Districtwide, the city schools reported 100 cases of students possessing a gun last year, 55 the year before, and 136 cases in the 2004-2005 school year.

When he was 12, Coon was charged in juvenile court with domestic violence, accused of attacking his mother.

While on probation, he threw his court papers on the floor and then rammed his body into his mother’s head when she tried to pick them up, according to court documents.

His probation officer described the relationship between Coon and his mother as extremely poor, with both using abusive language toward each other.

Students said they did not take Coon’s threats seriously and said teachers knew but did nothing.

Rasheem Smith, 15, said on CBS’ Early Show that despite their warnings about Coon, principal Johneita Durant told them she was too busy.

“I told my friends in the class that he had a gun and stuff,” he said. “We talked to the principal. She would try to get us all in the office, but it would always be too busy for it to happen.”

Responding on the show, schools CEO Eugene Sanders said the district would investigate. Mr. Sanders was superintendent of Toledo Public Schools from 2000 to 2006.

A message left at Ms. Durant’s office was not returned.
Meanwhile, Coon’s older brother, Stephen, was arrested at the family home yesterday on parole violations, according to state prisons spokesman JoEllen Lyons. She said the arrest was not connected to Wednesday’s school shooting.

Coon, 19, who walked out in handcuffs, said his brother did not get any guns from him, and did not answer questions about the shooting.

Stephen Coon has a criminal record that includes convictions of burglary, intimidating a victim or witness, and attempted felonious assault.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071012/NEWS03/71012003