• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA's Women On Target

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

tiphat2.gif
to NRA and Ms. McClleland...

I wonder if the NRA-bashers can find anything wrong with this program? GOA do anything like this, anybody know?

Women on Target

October 12, 2007

By: Cheri March, The News Messenger

Patricia McLelland is as comfortable firing a shotgun as she is cooking up the elk the gun might bag for dinner.

But despite strides women have made towards equality over the years, shooting is still viewed largely as a man's domain, McLelland said.

As an instructor of the NRA-sponsored Women on Target shooting clinics at Coon Creek Trap and Skeet Club in Lincoln, she aims to change that.

05target.jpg

Women on Target instructor Patricia McLelland takes aim during a practice session while Aillene Cole, background, watches.

"Sports like hunting and fishing have been a slow process for woman - they're still kind of men's sports," McLelland said. "That's why I've stepped up to the plate. I open the door for women not to be intimidated by guns."

On Saturday, 60 women from around the region joined McLelland at Coon Creek to learn to safely store, handle and shoot a 12-gauge.

"It's so much fun," said Pam Dear, a Rocklin resident and clinic participant. "And Patricia's such a good coach."

Since Women on Target's inception in 1999, McLelland has led five local clinics and become the only shotgun-certified instructor for the event in Northern California. The NRA even featured her in last year's Women on Target brochure.

"I've had grandmothers and granddaughters in the same clinic," she said. "We're about creating a safe atmosphere for women to gain knowledge about firearms in an unintimidating way."

McLelland's clinic schools participants in trap shooting. A trap shooter fires at rising targets, such as the bright orange clay pigeons tossed in the air at Coon Creek.

"It's much more fun when you hit it (the target), but it's still fun if you don't," said participant Aillene Cole, a Weimar resident who also shoots with McLelland in a women's league.

Though the clinic teaches hunting skills, not everyone intends to take their newfound knowledge into the field.

"I'm not at all into hunting. I could never kill anything, but I just love the sport," said Julie Renegar, who helps run the clinic, even helping to prepare a homemade lunch for the women. "It's good stress relief."

Renegar, who works for the Placer County Sheriff's Department, credits McLelland with cultivating her interest.

"She's just so enthusiastic about shooting. She got me totally interested," Renegar said. "I had never shot a gun in my life, and I actually hit targets my first time.

"It's empowering," she said. "You don't have to be really athletic to do it. Just about anyone can do it and it makes you feel like you can take care of yourself."

All it takes to learn the sport is a little persistence, McLelland said.

"I've had women say, 'I can't do that,'" she said. "And I say, 'Oh, yes you can. Just put your mind to it.'"

Shooting isn't just a pastime for McLelland - it's her livelihood. She works behind the gun counter at Sportsman's Warehouse in Rocklin, where she often sells firearms to women.

The Auburn resident, who frequently treks to Coon Creek to practice, teach and compete, has been shooting since she was a girl. For her, the sport is a way to connect with family.

"My three children all hunt and fish," she said. "I still go shooting with my 79-year-old dad. Sometimes it seems like all we ever hear about guns is negative, but this is the most positive thing. It's something I'm so passionate about."

http://www.lincolnnewsmessenger.com/articles/2007/10/11/news/top_stories/05target.txt

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The Second Amendment is not about shotguns, elk hunting or target shooting. The NRA is about http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58073 as said by Sandy Froman.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

dkd

imported post

"I'm not at all into hunting. I could never kill anything, but I just love the sport," said Julie Renegar, who helps run the clinic, even helping to prepare a homemade lunch for the women. "It's good stress relief."
lol....i guess you'retrying to make the point that they are introducing women to guns but im sorry but im not into shooting for sport, im into shooting for self defense and will kill if necessary

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
The Second Amendment is not about shotguns, elk hunting or target shooting. The NRA is about http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58073 as said by Sandy Froman.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
In http://keepandbeararms.com/news/nl/disp.asp?d=10/12/2007&#newsanchor_78356
I wrote:
[font="Verdana,Arial,Helv"]
More good reason to believe that the NRA and the GOP are not different, both are using the same unprincipled tactics, 'vote for us or you'll get it!'

I will not vote for a repugnicrat, be he GOP or NRA. If there is to be revolution then let it begin now while my grip is firm and my blood is hot. Better me than my daughter.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense. Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA/GOP KMA$$
[/font]

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
The Second Amendment is not about shotguns, elk hunting or target shooting. The NRA is about....
Recent estimates of the number ofguns in the U.S. range from 220 to 270 million.

The U.S. currentlyhas the highest per capita private ownership of guns of any country in the history of the world.

The primary organized force for thatfact is the NRA.

And even the combination NRA-bashing/pro-gun rights advocates (spit) can enjoy that reality. :D

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
tiphat2.gif
to NRA and Ms. McClleland...

I wonder if the NRA-bashers can find anything wrong with this program? GOA do anything like this, anybody know?

There are those who REFUSE to see the truth in any message

HankT, I am not one of them.

Good Post.
tiphat2.gif

Tarzan

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think few of us with grievances against the NRA would fault the training aspect of the organization.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I think few of us with grievances against the NRA would fault the training aspect of the organization.

I think the training aspect is the only thing the NRA has left going for it.

As a woman, I resent the NRA's attitude - I should be just as comfortable cooking as hunting. Their girly-girl magazine had recipes in it, for crying out loud. They tried to switch my subscription from America's First Freedom to whatever the other one was - I just tried to find it to use its name, but couldn't. Maybe it doesn't exist.

I got a "oh, really? you don't?" response when I told them I did NOT want to be categorized based on my name.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Tess wrote:
I think the training aspect is the only thing the NRA has left going for it.
Yes. Then they try to make their training necessary (in the logic sense - necessary/sufficient) for being a 'responsible' gun owner.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA/GOP KMA$$