• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is law in CT on college carry?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

My previous research found this to not be true - can anyone point me in the right direction to verify lack of college carry ban in CT?

http://tinyurl.com/2mge8j

SNIP

"The University of Connecticut is our greatest opposition by far," said Kopencey. "She [the Dean] voiced her opposition in no uncertain terms to my ideas."

When asked about the protest, Williams responded via e-mail that university administrators have no control over the issue.

"The University is state property and as such, prohibits weapons being carried, concealed or not," said Williams. "This is a state statute, not a position."

Edward Peruta

imported post

Topic:
CRIME; FELONIES; SCHOOLS (GENERAL); WEAPONS;

[align=left]
olrreport.gif

October 25, 2006

2006-R-0658

POSSESSION OF WEAPON ON SCHOOL GROUNDS

By: Soncia Coleman, Associate Legislative Analyst

You asked whether properly trained Connecticut public school faculty and staff are allowed to have guns in schools.

Permission to carry a gun in a public school is limited. The deciding factor for those who may carry a gun is not whether they have been properly trained and licensed but rather why they are on school grounds. Generally, possessing a firearm or deadly weapon on school grounds is a class D felony, punishable by up to five years imprisonment, a $ 5,000 fine, or both. A person is guilty of this crime when, knowing they are not licensed or privileged to do so, a person possesses the weapon (1) in or on public or private elementary or secondary school property or (2) at a school-sponsored activity. However, this prohibition does not apply to the otherwise lawful possession by a:

1. person for use in a program approved by school officials that is on school property or at a school-sponsored activity (e. g. fire-arm safety program);

2. person in accordance with an agreement between the person or person's employer and the school district (e. g. security guard);

3. peace officer while engaged in the performance of his official duties; and

4. person while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting or other lawful purposes, if the entry is authorized by the board of education and the weapon is unloaded (CGS § 53a-217b).

When this law was originally enacted in 1992, there was an additional exception for the lawful possession of a firearm by a person holding a valid state or local permit. However, this exception was eliminated in 1998.

While a teacher or staff-member would be prohibited from bringing a gun to school without the district's permission, the statute appears to allow him to do so pursuant to an agreement with said district. However, it is not clear from session transcripts that this result was contemplated by the legislature and a cursory review of related board of education policies reveals that this practice would generally be prohibited by school districts. For instance, Hartford Public Schools' policy on weapons and dangerous instruments and personnel states that “all dangerous instruments and illegal weapons are prohibited on school property, student transportation and at school-sponsored activities. ” Similarly, a Stamford Public Schools board of education policy notes that “the presence of weapons poses a risk to all persons, and [the board] prohibits weapons from school property and school-sponsored activities, except as may be required as a condition of employment, such as for peace officers. ” It generally prohibits employees and others form bringing any weapon or dangerous instrument onto school property or to any school-sponsored activities.

SC: ro[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]It appears that the State's definition of "Seconday School" is key to this quesition.[/align]

[align=left]On the internet, I found this:[/align]
secondary school

Secondary school is a term used to describe an institution where the final stage of compulsory schooling, known as secondary education, takes place. It follows on from primary or elementary education. There are many different types of secondary school and the terminology used varies around the world.

IS UCONN A SECONDARY SCHOOL?

If you read the heading "Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D Felony, you would be led to believe that carrying a weapon on a college campus was in fact a violation of the law. But when you read the state statute, you find that the law is limited to public and private schools through the 12th grade.

ASK A PROFESSOR OF LAW AT THE UCON LAW SCHOOL TO INVESTIGATE AND RESEARCH THIS TOPIC.

[align=left]
Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. [/align]

(a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the otherwise lawful possession of a firearm (1) by a person for use in a program approved by school officials in or on such school property, (2) by a person in accordance with an agreement entered into between school officials and such person or such person's employer, (3) by a peace officer, as defined in subdivision (9) of section 53a-3, while engaged in the performance of his official duties, or (4) by a person while traversing such school property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting or for other lawful purposes, provided such firearm is not loaded and the entry on such school property is permitted by the local or regional board of education.

(c) Possession of a weapon on school grounds is a class D felony.
[align=left]
[/align]

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Thanks guys!!

John and I are trying to figure out what we are going to do about Packing.org's demise as their state by state summaries of off limits areas were sure handy.

At some point we might ask for state admins and you 2 sound like you know what you are talking about!

T.Roberts

imported post

Big Ed....

"Semper Fi"... I miss the good old days , " Swoops On "

I know this must be you... Long time no hear from, You seem to be very active out there in Conn. I hope you are doing well.

Please respond

Your Friend

Tim R. on the West Coast

tarobcon@aol.com

unrequited

imported post

Mike wrote:
John and I are trying to figure out what we are going to do about Packing.org's demise as their state by state summaries of off limits areas were sure handy.
I'm still using google's cache for all the states:

Go to google.com and put in, "cache:http://www.packing.org/state/virginia/?printview=Y" and change the state appropriately... for two-word states, use an underscore. So far, google's cache still works for the states I've been trying recently, but there's no guarantee to how long they'll be up.

nrawling

imported post

Yeah, I really doubt you would see anyone prosecuted under that statute. However, almost all of the schools I've looked at having restrictions against students in their "student handbook" or similar document. Students with guns will probably get expelled if they get caught.