Thread: OK who scared Danville Community College?

Post imported post

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7200974

style="font-size: 14px; color: rgb(78, 78, 78);"Report of gun prompts community college to close
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.1'>if (document.layers) {document.write('<SCR' + 'IPT language=JavaScript1.1 SRC=/Global/ad.asp?type=single&cls1=News&src1= loc&spct1=100&sz1=wnsz_20& callType=script />'); document.close();}</SCRIPT>coreAdsCreate('wnsz_20', 'loc', '100');

Associated Press - October 11, 2007 3:35 PM ET
    DANVILLE, Va. (AP) - Danville Community College shut down Thursday afternoon following a report that someone had a gun on campus.
    Police sent a half-dozen officers to the school, but found no evidence of anyone with a gun.
    Sergeant P.R. Deel said a school employee contacted police about noon and said that a man with what appeared to be a handgun in his waistband had been seen walking across campus.
    Deel said police never found anyone meeting the description of the person.
    As a precaution, college officials canceled all classes and activities from 2 p.m. on Thursday, and sent all but essential employees home.

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

The new angle for students wanting to get out of class/exams will be theguy with a gun call, replacing the old standard bomb threat...

Post imported post

Anybody call Danbus,...see if he was in danvill:P (just kidding)

Post imported post

I think Danville CC and the Danville PD need to be reminded of the AG's opinion.

www.vaag.com/OPINIONS/2006opns/05-078.pdf

Post imported post

Associated Press - October 11, 2017 3:35 PM ET
    DANVILLE, Va. (AP) - Danville Community College shut down Thursday afternoon following a report that someone waspreparing to talkin public on campus.
    Police sent a half-dozen officers to the school, but found no evidence of anyone equiped to do so.
    Sergeant Illtrample Yourights said a school employee contacted police about noon and said that a man with what appeared to be amegaphone in his waistband had been seen walking across campus.
    Yourightssaid police never found anyone meeting the description of the person.
    As a precaution, college officials canceled all classes and activities from 2 p.m. on Thursday, issued earplugs to protect students and faculty from hearing speech that might make them uncomfortable, and sent all but essential employees home.

Modified to better indicate where colleges are headed.

Post imported post

As far as I can tell, the VA Att Generals opinion isn't relevant here.Ifindeed there was anopen carrier and they had been found and then unlawfully arrested for being on a college campus with a gun, thenthe opinion would be relevant. As it is, apparently someone called in a "man with a gun" call and the police responded. Dispatchers should ask good questions and exercise proper judgement with these types of calls.Perhaps the disptacher didjust that, we don't know enough to say. Dispatching the police in and of itself may have been a quite prudent move, just like open carrying in and of itself does not justify a "Terry Stop". What we do know is someone thinks they saw a gun in a waistband. While legal, personally I would be hyper-aware of someone I didn't know with a gun in a waistband near me (as opposed to a holster).

In order to increase our effectiveness and to target our efforts, we should find common ground with hard-working LEO's where we can, and never jump to conclusions about officersor departments without articulatable reason - just as we'd have them treat us.

Post imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
    While legal, personally I would be hyper-aware of someone I didn't know with a gun in a waistband near me (as opposed to a holster).
    Yeah, but, for the average non-gun enthusiast, someone OCing with an IWB holster over a tucked in shirt is goung to have a gun in their waistband...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

Sounds like a unicorn sighting, although it was unconfirmed. When they said "man with what appeared to be a handgun in his waistband had been seen walking across campus" I was picturing the famous Sasquatch film, with the OC'r looking back over his shoulder a them as they dialed 911...