• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beware! Wayward shotgun shells sneaking into the potato chip aisle.

Cue-Ball

imported post

Niagara Falls couple finds a box of 100 Winchester shotgun shells mixed in with the potato chips.

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local/local_story_283175849.html

My favorite quote: “God forbid if someone had left the box open. He could have grabbed one and thrown it on the ground or just hit it the wrong way". Because we all know how easily ammunition cooks off if you drop it on the ground, or have your three year old hit it against the shopping cart. <sigh>

imperialism2024

imported post

While I've never done it, I'd imagine that even if something hit the shotgun shell with enough force to set it off, it wouldn't really do much because there's no barrel pressure. It would go "pop" and that's about it, it seems to me. Didn't they do a MythBusters episode about this?

Mainsail

imported post

Damn I hate following links...

Here's the story:

PROBLEM: Ammunition storage has Falls couple ready to fire

What's Your Problem?

By Paul Lane/lanep@gnnewspaper.com
Niagara Gazette

That Wal-Mart sells ammunition is no surprise.

The ease with which it can be obtained is what shocked Ryan and Julie Miller during a recent shopping trip.

The Niagara Falls couple went to the Wal-Mart on Porter Road the evening of Sept. 29 to purchase a few items. When browsing the snack aisle with their sons — ages 3 and 11 — they found a box of 100 Winchester shotgun shells mixed in with the potato chips.

They alerted an assistant manager, who along with a manager and corporate official in subsequent conversations told the couple that there wasn’t an issue.

“The (Wal-Mart employee) said they’re just skeet shells. That’s no big deal,” Julie said.

Skeet shells are what shooters use for clay target shooting. These rounds are kept on a shelf in the sporting goods section, with other types of ammunition being stored in a sealed glass case. A driver’s license is required to purchase the shells.

Ryan said he was told Wal-Mart was abiding by state law in storing the skeet shells in the open, but he fears what might happen in a worst-case scenario.

“Too many crazy things happen nowadays,” he said, referring to someone who might use the easily accessible rounds in a mass shooting. “There’s no reason that type of item needs to be laying around the store where my child literally could have picked them up.”

That was also a concern for Julie, who noted that her younger son likes to inspect what he sees in stores.

“God forbid if someone had left the box open. He could have grabbed one and thrown it on the ground or just hit it the wrong way,” she said.

Wal-Mart has been under fire recently in other places including Alabama and Illinois for its ammunition storage practices. A motion to come before the city council in Montgomery, Ala., next week introduced as a result of Wal-Mart’s practices would tighten restrictions in that city on how rounds can be sold and shelved, according to the Montgomery Advertiser.

A Wal-Mart corporate representative did not respond to a request for comment. Wal-Mart officials told the Montgomery Advertiser that the chain abides by all state and local laws in regards to ammunition storage.

The odds of something bad happening may be slim, but the Millers would like to see every available precaution taken.

“They’re dangerous for a 3-year-old to handle,” Julie said. “They’re a safety issue.”

Demarest

imported post

“They’re dangerous for a 3-year-old to handle,” Julie said. “They’re a safety issue.”

So... watch your three year old? It seems pretentious to expect the world populated by far more adults than children to stop on a dime just because you reproduced.

This reminds me of the story in the UK where a shop owner found an unfired 22 short in a doorway and went off like the sky was falling.

People pick things up in one place and set them down in another in stores all the time. It's not worthy of a news article. Not unless of course you have an anti-gun agenda to push and the item is firearm related.

imperialism2024

imported post

G_Lyons wrote:
the potato chips in the isle are probably more hazardous to the children the the ammo.
Be careful there... I'm sure that many of the "I'm scared of guns so we should ban them" crowd are also jumping on the bandwagon of banning potato chips and other foods deemed "unhealthy" by the Establishment. Didn't New York City recently ban certain cooking oils?