• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travelling to Idaho

irish_ironsight

Formerly of Ireland, now Martinsburg, WV, West Vir
imported post

Hello Ladies & gentleman, Boy & Girls ~

I wonder if anyone here can help me out, I'm looking for some straight answers.

I am coming back to Idaho (sorry about that, but i like the place so tough break) in May 2008 for a shaort vacation, and I would like to be able to bring my own pistol with me from here in Ireland.

Now I know that in order to do that I need to deal with the ATF for the temporary import, I also need to get a non-resident small game hunting permit, so my question is if I can get a permit or if I even need a permit to carry in idaho as a non resident.

So fingers crossed and hope to see some useful answers. if it help's any Im a LEO here in Ireland..

Stay safe

bourneshooter

imported post

If it helps, contact the local Sheriff office or PD in N. Idaho and ask regarding any possible training or anything that you could do. Maybe see if they would entertain the idea of showing you how they operate or even better SHOOT! Then you could show them how you guys shoot. Just an idea.

If you do make it to S. Idaho while here, PM me.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

irish_ironsight wrote:
Hello Ladies & gentleman, Boy & Girls ~

I wonder if anyone here can help me out, I'm looking for some straight answers.

I am coming back to Idaho (sorry about that, but i like the place so tough break) in May 2008 for a shaort vacation, and I would like to be able to bring my own pistol with me from here in Ireland.

Now I know that in order to do that I need to deal with the ATF for the temporary import, I also need to get a non-resident small game hunting permit, so my question is if I can get a permit or if I even need a permit to carry in idaho as a non resident.

So fingers crossed and hope to see some useful answers. if it help's any Im a LEO here in Ireland..

Stay safe
As far as I can tell, there are no restrictions to Open Carrying as long as you can legally possess the gun. I was talking to a Canadian yesterday who got his Concealed Carry Permit from Utah(Arizona?) and it is good in over 30 states. Idaho honors permits from all other states.

Where will you be in North Idaho? My boss travels the world hunting and in shooting competitions. He should know what is necessary for you. I can't ask him until Monday.

I would NOT ask the LEO's as I really doubt that they would know this and would most likely tell you to leave your guns at home.

LoveMyCountry

irish_ironsight

imported post

I would NOT ask the LEO's as I really doubt that they would know this and would most likely tell you to leave your guns at home.

LoveMyCountry

Speaking as a LEO here in ireland well lets just say, I resemble that remark.....

Anyway, I will be mainly in North Idaho, at a guess I wouldnt be going any further south than Couer d'Alene.

That said i will have to sort out travelling from Spokane Airport in Washington.

I'd be delighted with any information you folks can come up with, heck I even tried mailing the Sheriff of Boundry County, surprise surprise, his e-mail address dont work.

Thanks again

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Straight answer:

IF you can legally posess the firearm in the States...

then you can Open Carry anywhere in Washington and Idaho that a citizen can. Check up on the usual off-limits places (K-12 schools, court houses, sterile areas of airports).

irish_ironsight

imported post

Let's see, im flying with Delta airlines all the way............. I spoke with them and they say no problem as long as I go by the TSA guidelines.

I got the TSA to write me directly with their instructions, so covered there.

I have a letter from the Office of Law Enforcement Technology Commercialization regarding my registration and so on at a LEO event in the US.

I have the forms done out for the ATF, for the temporary importation of a firearm by a non-immigrant allien.

And for identification / verification purposes I have copies of my:
1) Irish carry permit/licence
2) Prison Service identification card
3) Drivers permit/licence
4) Passport

Hopefully this will make life easier for the ATF people that check into all this.
Then if I get the import permit, I probably need a carry permit for one of the state's..... Idaho would be nice !

Hey it gives me something to do.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

irish_ironsight wrote:

LoveMyCountry

Speaking as a LEO here in ireland well lets just say, I resemble that remark.....

Anyway, I will be mainly in North Idaho, at a guess I wouldnt be going any further south than Couer d'Alene.

That said i will have to sort out travelling from Spokane Airport in Washington.

I'd be delighted with any information you folks can come up with, heck I even tried mailing the Sheriff of Boundry County, surprise surprise, his e-mail address dont work.

Thanks again
Boundary County's website needs serious work, but they are good people. Sounds like you will be in my area (Sandpoint in Bonner County), let me know what I can do to help you have a pleasant visit. Send me a PM and tell me more about your plans.

I have not had any negative interactions with LEO's around here and I OPEN carry everywhere. :cool:

Question about your irish_ironsight handle. Are you a long gun shooter?
LoveMyCountry