• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Captain America Packing....

Fallguy

imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301459,00.html

NEW YORK—

You can't keep a good American down.

Marvel Entertainment announced Thursday that its slain hero Captain America will rise again with a new outfit and a new secret identity, after the character was killed off in March by a sniper's bullet in a storyline on the War on Terror.

The company unveiled the patriotic superhero's new look Thursday with artwork by Alex Ross and Steve Epting for the new issue, No. 34, to hit comic book shops in January 2008.

Captain America will return with his trademark shield, but he also will have some new firepower. The artists are bringing the hero back with a gun.

Click here to see Captain America's new look.

"I always try and look back in the character's history to something that maybe was a forgotten costume element from a bygone age, maybe one of the earlier costume elements, to see if you could bring that part back," Ross told Marvel.com. "Well, funny enough, there's this awful movie serial made in the '40s with Cap where he had no shield, no wings on his mask, no white sleeves, little tiny gloves, and he carried a gun."

While the famed hero is returning to fight the good fight, Marvel made clear that the original character, Steve Rogers, remains dead. A yet-to-be-revealed character will don this new Captain America suit.

In March, Dan Buckley, the president and publisher of Marvel Entertainment's publishing group, told FOXNews.com that Captain America's return was a possibility.

"Everything is possible in the world of make-believe."

1012071223_M_CaptainAmerica34AlexRossCov.jpg

1012071223_M_CaptainAmericaEpting.jpg

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I like his carry setup. Looks like a 1911, 3 mag pouches, K-BAR?, 2 more GP pouches and of course the shield (which is a weapon too).
ETA: Canteen too, gotta keep hydrated.:dude:

Attachments

• 1012071223_M_CaptainAmericaSketch3.jpg
    1012071223_M_CaptainAmericaSketch3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 353

bourneshooter

imported post

At least it looks like the classic American pistol, the 1911. Hopefully the comic will be pro gun, and especially pro-handgun.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

All his gear is old school. 1911, KBar, leather pouches flap holster. The GI canteen fits the look.
ETA: Almost forgot to mention the 7 League boots.

BenjaminHare

imported post

Great to see a discussion about Captain America on this site. Cap's death took place during a long cross-over event in the Marvel Comics universe known as the "Civil War." After a fatal event involving some young and fairly untrained heroes the US Congress passed the "Superhuman Registration Act" which required all super-powered types to register with the government and thus become sanctioned by them. This split the Marvel super-hero community down the middle. Some supported the registration act whilst others opposed it on grounds of an infringement upon their personal liberties. Those who did not register were in violation of the law and thus hunted down and imprisoned.

Obvious parallels to the Patriot Act, gun registration & Guantanamo Bay.

Cap was one of the stalwarts who opposed the registration act, which brought him in direct confrontation with the government that he had served for over fifty years.

The Wiki has a very good article about the events chronicled during the Marvel Civil War:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_civil_war

For those interested head down to Barnes and Noble and read over some of the collected trade paperbacks to get the best stories at the best price.

Darren Stevens

imported post

Good to see a good-guy packin' heat in comic books, a good role model I say!

On a light-hearted note, someone ought to speak to the captain about his trigger finger!

BTW where's his maglite?? :p

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Darren Stevens wrote:
Good to see a good-guy packin' heat in comic books, a good role model I say!

On a light-hearted note, someone ought to speak to the captain about his trigger finger!

BTW where's his maglite?? :p

Yyyeah, I was gonna mention the same thing (in reference to the 2nd pic posted).

And what is up with the old school leather flap covered pouches, a random combat knife, and a canteen?? Seems kinda tacky to me...

Darren Stevens

imported post

I have not read a comic book in years, but am tempted by this one, though!

I just wonder what will happen if the Captain crosses State lines, and has to enter an anti-gun State whilst packin.'

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Darren Stevens wrote:

I just wonder what will happen if the Captain crosses State lines, and has to enter an anti-gun State whilst packin.'
LOL Good point! He'll no longer be able to set foot in New York or Chicago, among many other locations. I wonder how that will go over... Ya know, this adds something to the list of answers to the question of why you carry: "because Captain America does!"

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I think the combat knife, the canteen, and even the 1911 are all attempts to put him into the samecategory as an american soldier. I doubt that the comic book will be making any real effort to support the civilian pro gun cause, at least explicitly anyway.

Just my .02

Tomahawk

imported post

For armed superheroes, I've always been partial to Frank Castle, myself...

punisher.jpg

Unlike Capt. America, Castle is just a normal human with no super powers, like Batman with guns...

BenjaminHare

imported post

Darren Stevens wrote:

It's definitely worth picking up. If for nothing more then being able to drop comments at cocktail parties, letting everyone know how truly hip you are.

Since Cap is a federally sanctioned agent this won't be a problem for him.

BenjaminHare

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

For armed superheroes, I've always been partial to Frank Castle, myself...
Frank scares me half to death. He's got serious mental problems and some philisophical issues that put him in direct conflict with Captain America. In fact, they eventually came to fisticuffs over Frank's actions during the "Civil War" storyline. Cap literally began to beat on him but Frank refused to fight back, because of the high regard he has for Cap. It was a very dramatic moment.

Sitrep

imported post

I'd love to see a story line where he's chasing a criminal, and they get to New York City and he just stops pursuit. The criminal starts killing people, and Cap just says "too bad I can't carry a gun in NYC."

SFDoc

imported post

I always liked The Phantom - with 2 1911's, a wolf named Devil and a white horse named Hero what more could you want in a comic strip hero.

Attachments

• The Phantom.bmp
    468.8 KB · Views: 197

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

SFDoc wrote:
I always liked The Phantom - with 2 1911's, a wolf named Devil and a white horse named Hero what more could you want in a comic strip hero.
A better costume :?