• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Missing an opportunity

Trigger Dr

imported post

I have been on this forum for a very short time, and may have missed something. Please inform me if so.

I think we have a good opportunity to inform the public AND the attending police about open carry.

I frequently have 1 or sometimes 2 tables at the WAC show. In November, (3 & 4th) I plan on 2 tables. I will be happy to have literature ( Training bulletins) available to hand out to the uninformed masses.

I have downoaded the Federal Way and King County documents, but could use more.

I can also make a sign calling attention to OC to display at my table.

What think you?

Jim

BluesBear

imported post

I'll be there tomorrw too.

:idea:I think we need a way to identify ourselves to each other.

Since we can't "carry" a loaded weapon at the show, And since there are those who do open carryempty guns at the shows, Perhaps we could simply wear an empty holster?

Wearing an empty holster would signify that since we can't carry loaded we don't carry at all. Plus it might get some people to ask us why and then we could spread the word.

Or we could just wear funny hats and meet at Trig-docs table next month.

Right now I'm going to grab a few hours sleep. I'll check in here before I leave this morning. I intend on getting there between nine and ten. (I avoid the door opening feeding frenzy.)

Trigger Dr

imported post

I will be wearing a green Carhart coat with Sportsmans Warehouse on the back, and a NRA cap. I should be with either my Wife or my Son. Just depends if she goes with the daughter in law.

I will have an AMT 22 mag semi pistol for sale. it will be in the open, hand carried for ID.

See you there?

Jim

Trigger Dr

imported post

I overheard a comment today re. OC between two elderly men. When I commented that OC was completely legal in Wa, one asked me "What do you tell the cop when he wants to know why you are carrying a gun?"

I gave him my standard reply, the one I give to anyone , cops, friends, drunks, anyone, especially cops.

"I carry a gun for the same reason you do (should), to defend myself and family from the same people that would attack you."

Nov 3 & 4, in adition to several handguns, and a couple rifles, I will have a sign on my table saying "OPEN CARRY IS LEGAL" I will also have copies of pertinent RCWs for hand out. Stop by and visit.

Jim

heresolong

imported post

Well crap. I was there all day yesterday and then read this thread today. Missed an opportunity to meet some of you. Oh well, there's always next time.

Had a good show though. I picked up a Fairborne Commando knife in really nice condition for $15 and a holster for open carry. I got a Fobus paddle holster. Designed for an H&K P2000 but my Ruger KP345 fits into it quite nicely. The trigger guard is a square on the holster and rounded on the gun but it seems to clip into place fairly well. Nobody makes anything for the Ruger yet it seems.

Stream of consciousness posting here. Jumped to another window and did a search for Fobus holsters and they make one just for the Ruger 345. Only $25 on the Fobus website. My $10 not-quite-the-right-one just became less interesting. It'll work for now though.

Trigger Dr

imported post

OK, I have my sign made 18" x 24" it says

OPEN CARRY IS LEGAL

opencarry.org

I will have copies of the Federal Way bulletin, King County Sheriff bulletin, and a couple other things. If any of you show up at the WAC show in Puyallup on Nov 3 & 4th, stop at my table and talk a bit.

I could also use a little help with a few more handouts. Bring a few with you to put on the table.

Jim

Mainsail

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
OK, I have my sign made 18" x 24" it says

OPEN CARRY IS LEGAL

opencarry.org

I will have copies of the Federal Way bulletin, King County Sheriff bulletin, and a couple other things. If any of you show up at the WAC show in Puyallup on Nov 3 & 4th, stop at my table and talk a bit.

I could also use a little help with a few more handouts. Bring a few with you to put on the table.

Jim
Is open carry allowed at the show?

heresolong

imported post

WAC policy is that all firearms must be unloaded with the actions tied. This is designed to prevent any idiots from accidentally firing a weapon and/or injuring or killing someone. The attendant publicity of such a thing happening would probably shut down gun shows.

amlevin

imported post

heresolong wrote:
WAC policy is that all firearms must be unloaded with the actions tied. This is designed to prevent any idiots from accidentally firing a weapon and/or injuring or killing someone. The attendant publicity of such a thing happening would probably shut down gun shows.
Sometimes I wonder, "if it wasn't for all the idiots that went to gun shows, how would it make money"? The last one I attended at Monroe left me shaking my head.

Bear 45/70

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Pure BS. The unloaded and tied is required by the Fairgrounds and WAC rolled over rather than hunt for a place that allows open carry and CC as they should have. I had a big go around with them about this (I was a regular table holder at the time).They sound just like the NRA "You have to compromise". They talk gun rights, but they sure as hell don't practice it.

Mainsail

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Anti-gunners: “A criminal could use a gun to aid in the commission of a crime, so we’ll ban them”

WAC: An idiot could do something stupid with a gun, so we’ll ban them.

We know that the law should be written to punish the lawbreakers, not everyone. Likewise, the WAC rules should punish the idiots, not everyone.

I’m not trying to beat you up over this, but I think I would feel like a hypocrite if I purposefully avoid businesses that do not allow me to carry my firearm while simultaneously patronizing a WAC event that does the same. I understand the insurance issues, and they’re really no different than the Tacoma Mall or Jared Jewelry.

I don’t want anyone handling my firearm, I don’t want it zip-tied, I don’t want to carry it unloaded, and I certainly am not going to leave it in the car.

amlevin

imported post

Gun shows aren't what they used to be. Ammo used to be a good deal. Now you pay a premium for reloaded military calibers and imported handgun ammo.

There are larger displays for cheap knives and flashlights than guns.

Used guns are selling for MSRP. Accessories are either cheaply made and expensive or just plain expensive.

They are designed to clip the shopper for an entry fee and the vendors for a table rent. The only one who makes money is the "Sponsor".

I yearn for the old days when a Gun Show had good deals on Guns and Ammo.

heresolong

imported post

Hmmm. At the last gun show I picked up South African 7.62 for $70/140. Cheaper than anywhere else that I have been able to find it in the past two years.

I picked up a molded plastic OC holster for my pistol for $10, $15 less than new retail.

I picked up a Sheffield British Commando knife for $15 in nice condition.

I think that there are plenty of good deals at the gun shows.

heresolong

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
heresolong wrote:
Anti-gunners: “A criminal could use a gun to aid in the commission of a crime, so we’ll ban them”

WAC: An idiot could do something stupid with a gun, so we’ll ban them.

We know that the law should be written to punish the lawbreakers, not everyone. Likewise, the WAC rules should punish the idiots, not everyone.

I’m not trying to beat you up over this, but I think I would feel like a hypocrite if I purposefully avoid businesses that do not allow me to carry my firearm while simultaneously patronizing a WAC event that does the same. I understand the insurance issues, and they’re really no different than the Tacoma Mall or Jared Jewelry.

I don’t want anyone handling my firearm, I don’t want it zip-tied, I don’t want to carry it unloaded, and I certainly am not going to leave it in the car.
I tend to agree with you here, but I also think that WAC does a lot of good with its money and I enjoy the gun shows. To me the benefits of WAC and the enjoyment of the gun shows outweighs the restriction. We each have to make that decision at each business that we frequent. Would I stop shopping at WalMart if they had a no-OC rule? I don't know. I can't afford to get my laundry supplies at the local grocery store so I'd have to give it some serious thought.

Maybe it is time for the WAC members on this board to ask the organization to revisit the issue given the perceived hypocricy.

PS No one else has to handle your firearm, you can tie it yourself.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

amlevin wrote:
Gun shows aren't what they used to be. Ammo used to be a good deal. Now you pay a premium for reloaded military calibers and imported handgun ammo.

There are larger displays for cheap knives and flashlights than guns.

Used guns are selling for MSRP. Accessories are either cheaply made and expensive or just plain expensive.

They are designed to clip the shopper for an entry fee and the vendors for a table rent. The only one who makes money is the "Sponsor".

I yearn for the old days when a Gun Show had good deals on Guns and Ammo.

Don't be so glum about it. I go to a few gun shows and manage to find gun/ammo/accessory bargains fairly frequently. I agree that the regular vendor structure kind of drives out the possibility of bargains, i.e., ammo.

But sometimesthere are good deals in the oddest of places. For instance, at a gun show recently I stopped by a vendor who was selling some wine decanters something or other but he had on his table some bags with ammo from his personal stash that he wanted to sell. I bought 660 rounds of .38 spl., .357 mag, and .223 for a very low price. I've also picked up a lot of good but cheap 10mm ammo that "wasn't moving" from sellers who just wanted to get rid of the stuff.

And, let's face it,gun shows are a great placeto buy a gun FTF (where legal) from a private seller.

I agree that there is lot of junk/cheap knives/overpriced guns/ammo at the shows. But all it takes is one nice buy to make ya go home happy...

:monkey

krazichinaman

imported post

This is a late response, but I was at the WAC show on the 13th. I had my Xd .45 Service on my hip and was selling knives at Double Eagle towards the back of the show. I was the person wearing a NRA cap as well. Wonder if I talked to anyone from the board?

I was amazed that several people I talked to relaized that OC was legal in WA. That really made my day, well that and getting a free knife for working there too =P.