• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bought another "toy" to add to my carry stable

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I visited the gun show at Dulles Expo Center yesterday afternoon after work, with the express purpose of getting another addition to my "arsenal", plus trying to sell one while I was at it. The show was not at all real busy so selling the piece I was trying to unload was not successful.

But I did leave the show with a new little friend. Just what I went there for in the first place; a new Glock 27 to join my other two Glocks (a 23 bought last April and a 26 purchase last July). To the range this morning with my new addition to wring it out a bit. This particular 27 was tight with a slide release that was difficult to work quickly. However, I knew that after some rounds had gone down the tube, things would loosen up a bit. And they did. After 110 rounds, it is ready to enter my stable of carry guns. Happy to report with three different loads, not one failure of any kind... 100% reliability.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So here I am thinking, "Gun show at the Expo Center?!?! Am I missing something?" :what:So I check the web for it. Whew, it's only a militaria show.;)

And congrats on your new 27. They are a really nice carry piece, open or concealed.

SouthernBoy

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
So here I am thinking, "Gun show at the Expo Center?!?! Am I missing something?" :what:So I check the web for it. Whew, it's only a militaria show.;)

And congrats on your new 27. They are a really nice carry piece, open or concealed.
Yes they are. And yes, it was a militaria show, not the usual Nation's Gun Show run by C&E. That biggie is next month.

I had a 27 ten years ago and got rid of it. This one's a keeper. Funny thing about Glocks (I am really referring to the 3G ones - as in current generation models). While they are not tac drivers like a 1911, they can be accurarized. But their real worth lies in their reliability and the fac that they go bang when they are expected and suppose to go bang. I also really like the steel Kahrs and have a few (four) that are gems. Plus my PM9 is both reliable and very small for deep concealment.

Nice to be covered for whatever you deem necessary in the CC or OC department, eh?

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

They certainly are. I have a new Sig 229 in .40 that I have been open carrying lately. I used to carry my Glock 33 (with an aftermarket .40 barrel installed). I am thinking of going back to the Glock now. The Sig just seems way more bulky. I really like the Sig but it's taking a while to get used to carrying it.

SouthernBoy

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
They certainly are. I have a new Sig 229 in .40 that I have been open carrying lately. I used to carry my Glock 33 (with an aftermarket .40 barrel installed). I am thinking of going back to the Glock now. The Sig just seems way more bulky. I really like the Sig but it's taking a while to get used to carrying it.
As for small, but not subcompact, carry pistols, I find the following in my battery to be prime candidates for my use in both OC and CC modes (in no particular order);

Kahr K40 Elite '98
Kahr K9 Elite '03
Glock 23

As for subcompact, these two are gems;

Kahr PM9 (newer model)
Kahr MK9

For deep concealment and for really light clothing;

Kel-Tec P3AT

As for Kahrs I, like others, have had some which have not performed up to proper standards. All but one of those have been polymer framed (earlier PM9, PM40 Covert, and a new model PM40). One steel piece, an MK40 Elite, had problems. I don't know the what or why of it but upon close examination, I do know of a few design flaws with the Kahr polymer framed guns.

As for Glocks, all of mine go bang when the trigger is pulled. I can say three things about a Glock. They are as near to 100% reliable as I have ever experienced in a semi-auto handgun. You can feed them anything and they'll perform, with no restrictions against +P or +P+ ammo. They will take a lot of use and abuse. Along with all of this, add the fact that they have very few parts and are simple to take down and clean.

My steel Kahrs that I consider gems are my K40 Elite '98, my K9 Elite '03, my MK9, and my T9 with night sight. All of these are perfection and definitely keepers.

While I love my 1911's and my Browning Hi-Power Mark III-S, I am very reluctant to carry a single action pistol. Great to take into combat or for competition, but I just cannot bring myself to carrying in condition 1. Yes I know it can be a safe mode, but it's just not for me.

The Glock 27 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster is a fine OC or CC piece. With a truly powerful cartridge, this little .40S&W offers a measure of confidence along with a bir hole presented from the business end at your assailant. Try the relatively new Winchester Ranger LEO 155gr JHP. This is one hot load at 1195fps.

Good Lord, was I rambling or what?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
As for Glocks, all of mine go bang when the trigger is pulled. I can say three things about a Glock. They are as near to 100% reliable as I have ever experienced in a semi-auto handgun. You can feed them anything and they'll perform, with no restrictions against +P or +P+ ammo. They will take a lot of use and abuse. Along with all of this, add the fact that they have very few parts and are simple to take down and clean.

All of everyone's GLOCKs go bang when the trigger is pulled. Well, nearly, anyway.

Dman reliable guns. I also have a 23 and 27 and they are fine carry guns.

I avoided GLOCK for a long time, mostly because I was concentrating on revos but also because I heard all the GLOCK bashing and figured there must be something to it.

But after a G23 fell into my hands almost accidently, I did the research and it came out that there is no more reliable semi-auto. And they shoot pretty dman good. Plenty good enough. The GLOCK bashers are either prissy purists or just nattering negativists who think that just saying "plastic pistols" somehow will substantiate their derision of the GLOCKs.

People should pick whichever gun fits well and serves the defense mission they have in mind. Sometimes that is a GLOCK. Glad you like your new "toy."

SouthernBoy

imported post

HankT wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

All of everyone's GLOCKs go bang when the trigger is pulled. Well, nearly, anyway.

I avoided GLOCK for a long time, mostly because I was concentrating on revos but also because I heard all the GLOCK bashing and figured there must be something to it.

But after a G23 fell into my hands almost accidently, I did the research and it came out that there is no more reliable semi-auto. And they shoot pretty dman good. Plenty good enough. The GLOCK bashers are either prissy purists or just nattering negativists who think that just saying "plastic pistols" somehow will substantiate their derision of the GLOCKs.

People should pick whichever gun fits well and serves the defense mission they have in mind. Sometimes that is a GLOCK. Glad you like your new "toy."
Thank you, sir. As I mentioned, I am very happy that I have a nice selection from which to chose. God bless Virginia and the freedom we all enjoy to do this.

Tomahawk

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
HankT wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Thank you, sir. As I mentioned, I am very happy that I have a nice selection from which to chose. God bless Virginia and the freedom we all enjoy to do this.
And HankT no doubtthanks you for feeding his inner troll. His whole post was designed to irritate anyone who criticizes Glocks, and you fell right into it.