Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: Elderly Man Foils Burglary-Kills One

  1. #1
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    The part of this brief story I find most interesting is the rather helpful comments by the sheriff. You don't hear those kinds od comments in NJ...OH...VA...DC...

    It would be interesting to actually get the details of the shoot... I'm sure it was a hoot.


    Elderly man shoots, kills suspected burglar

    Web Posted: 10/02/2007 12:40 AM CDT

    Karen Grace
    KENS 5 Eyewitness News

    An elderly man in La Vernia caught two burglars in the act, but they were no match for his trigger finger and his shotgun. One of the men is dead, and the other is behind bars.

    "He's an old timer up there in the county and an old hunter," Wilson County Sheriff Joe Tackitt Jr. said.

    And 83-year-old Raymond Bunte wasn't afraid to defend someone else's home.

    "He didn't take any mess, I mean he meant business," Tackitt said.

    Bunte heard suspicious noises next door on a rural road in La Vernia at about 2 p.m. Friday. He stumbled across a kicked in door and two thieves helping themselves to Dolores Hendershot's valuables. He blocked their exit and ordered the men out and on the ground. But 23-year-old Dustin Houston didn't get very far when he tried to flee.

    "One of them for sure is never going to do another burglary," Tackitt said.

    That's because Houston was shot dead through the windshield. Deputies say 24-year-old Steven Christopher Muniz then took off running. Texas Rangers tracked him down in San Antonio.

    "If it's a matter of your life or someone else's life? You do what you have to do to protect yourself," Tackitt said.

    It will be up to a grand jury to decide whether or not Bunte's actions were justified or if he will face charges.

    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met...12d2804cc.html

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    245

    Post imported post

    Grand jury? WHY? Hopefully, the Sheriff's take on it will be enough to encourage the fence sitters to leave the man alone.

    I didn't care for the word suspected in the title, nor the "jounalist's" use of the words "trigger finger." Subtle, but enough to trick the less astute into taking the story negatively. Especially since the article itself didn't call them suspected.

  3. #3
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Demarest wrote:
    Grand jury? WHY? Hopefully, the Sheriff's take on it will be enough to encourage the fence sitters to leave the man alone.

    I didn't care for the word suspected in the title, nor the "jounalist's" use of the words "trigger finger." Subtle, but enough to trick the less astute into taking the story negatively. Especially since the article itself didn't call them suspected.
    How do you think Houston was shot "through the windshield?"

    I couldn't figure that out...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    245

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    How do you think Houston was shot "through the windshield?"
    Easy. If you're shooting into a car, aim low. If you're shooting outward, aim high. Because the windshield is angled.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    I see someone reads Box O' Truth.

    That being said, the guy in the car could've been going for a gun, how was that "Old Coot" supposed to know?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    If he had been shot through the windshield and been hit in the head, why was there an identical exit hole in the rear windsield? I'll tell you why, because I think Mr Bunte shot him outside the vehicle, shot the windshield out and put him in the car. Also he was shot twice according to the medical examiner, once from a distance, and once point blank in the head. Why?? Why didnt he call the police before he went over there? Why did it take someone over half an hour to call after he had been shot? Because he knew he screwed up when he shot him and had to cover it up quickly. I knew him personally, he was actually my step-brother, and I'm not going to say he was an angel by any stretch, because what he was doing was wrong,but this was a murder in my opinion, and I hope the Grand Jury see's it that way too.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pinal County, AZ, ,
    Posts
    164

    Post imported post

    Good guy 1 Bad guy 0..........Seems like the right outcome to me.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    I'd be willing to risk my life for my home or my family, but if you really know anything about how this all went down,you would understand whyI would never get that far in to protect my neighbors house. I'd call the cops, but I'm not gonna risk confronting someone I dont know with possible weapons so my neighbor gets to keep her dvd player. Get real!!! Way too many trigger happy idiots out there.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pinal County, AZ, ,
    Posts
    164

    Post imported post

    When something bad happens to someone doing something bad, my sympathy level approaches 0. Come clean, we all know he's not your step brother. Let me guess, you were so outraged by the situation that you had to go on a pro gun website, sign-on and vent with your first post. Gimme a break.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Armed4Life wrote:
    When something bad happens to someone doing something bad, my sympathy level approaches 0. Come clean, we all know he's not your step brother. Let me guess, you were so outraged by the situation that you had to go on a pro gun website, sign-on and vent with your first post. Gimme a break.
    Agreed.

    I smell grade-a trolling at its finest.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    Actually, heWAS my step-brother and I've known him since he was 2 years old, he was a good kid, but he made some mistakes. Nobody denies that he was doing something wrong, but it was'nt a cause for him to die. If you guys had the information I have on this, you would probably change your mind. I'm all about shooting someone coming in my house where my family lives to steal my things or hurt my family, this is not what happened here, and the grand jury will figure it out. I have guns and will use them to protect myself and my family not someone else's jewelry and electronics............ Let ME guess, you guys have never done anything bad EVER in your lives???............Yeah,,, give ME a break pal..And I'm a complete angel too.... It's not like he was Ted Bundy..... But he should've been arrested and given a fair trial... NOT GOTTEN SHOT IN THE HEAD WITH A SHOTGUN AT POINT BLANK RANGE. I have seen the medical examiners reports as well as pictures of everything. He was shot first from about 20 yards, then from point blank. They have gunshot residue on his forehead, that couldnt happen through the windshield from 30 feet away like the sheriff says. He also had pellets in his abdomen, face, forearms, hands, neck and chest. That is consistent with being shot by a shotgunfrom 20 yards, not through a windshield. If you want to hear some facts, I can tell you. I hope Raymond Bunte burns in hell for taking a basically good young man away from his 2 young children who adored him and ask about him regularly. I'm just here to try to find some help, thats all, all this bashing just affirms there are too many gun-totin' maniacs out there, and I have many guns!!! I just know when it's appropriate to wave them around like a fool..... NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Arlington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    Your step brother accepted the risks in doing this illegal and illicit business. A contruction worker must face that fact that he could fall from a height. A fisherman might drown. A criminal might get shot.

    If your brother was such a bright young man with family to feed maybe he should have gotten a job. Since apparently he was so good and bashing down doors he could have qualified for demolition work.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    Godwins Law-Deleted-LW

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Texas, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    Yes, sad that the young man's family has lost him. But, in Texas, the statutes allow the use of deadly force to protect property. The shooter was an old man in his 80's --disparity of force -- two young men engaged in illegal activity -- end of argument. The Texas grand jury will undoubedtly issue a no-bill. Also, the shooter is immune to civil prosecution under Texas statutes. My recommendation -- those who want to choose burglary for their career would be wise to move from Texas to Kalifornia or DC.

  15. #15
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    Ya know maybe the old guy did get carried away. Should the penalty for burglary be death? Probably not. However, if you live a life of crime you have to expect bad things could happen to you.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    35

    Post imported post

    Heh, maybe the BAD GUY had the motor running and was going to run down the "old coot". Maybe the BAD GUY said he was getting his gun and maybe the BAD GUY pulled a shiny object that looked like a gun. Fortunatly the BAD GUY will not be hurting any more GOOD people, does that mean I'm glad he is dead NO. But, we all do have a right to protect ourselves and a RESPONSIBLITY to protect our neighbors. Was the neighbor lady home? And if she wasn't, how would the "old coot" have known they were "just taking her DVD player" and not hurting her??? All in all, stay out of other peoples homes and stop trying to hurt law-abiding citizens, physically and/or financially and you should be ok, that is if YOUR the bad guy... We GOOD guys need to stick together and protect ourselves AND our neighboors from those bad guys!!!!

    Take care and stay safe,

    Bob

  17. #17
    Regular Member Springfield45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    299

    Post imported post

    PROUD American wrote:
    Heh, maybe the BAD GUY had the motor running and was going to run down the "old coot". Maybe the BAD GUY said he was getting his gun and maybe the BAD GUY pulled a shiny object that looked like a gun. Fortunately the BAD GUY will not be hurting any more GOOD people, does that mean I'm glad he is dead NO. But, we all do have a right to protect ourselves and a RESPONSIBLITY to protect our neighbors. Was the neighbor lady home? And if she wasn't, how would the "old coot" have known they were "just taking her DVD player" and not hurting her??? All in all, stay out of other peoples homes and stop trying to hurt law-abiding citizens, physically and/or financially and you should be ok, that is if YOUR the bad guy... We GOOD guys need to stick together and protect ourselves AND our neighboors from those bad guys!!!!

    Take care and stay safe,

    Bob
    +1

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Arlington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    Inked 17 wrote:
    when you have the right facts, send me a reply, till then keep shootin people who dont belong where they are. Hitler and Napoleon would love you, keep it up. Good thing to teach your kids!!
    I love the lashing out, certainly add credince to your arguements. I am in agreement with Proud American.



  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    VAopencarry wrote:
    Ya know maybe the old guy did get carried away. Should the penalty for burglary be death? Probably not. However, if you live a life of crime you have to expect bad things could happen to you.
    Nonetheless, this opens up a new can of worms. If someone catches a burglar in the act, is he justified in restraining him, locking him in the basement, torturing him for a week, and then executing him? If so, I applaud the consistancy.

    Anyhow, I wonder if Raymond Bunte and Joe Horn have coffee every morning and discuss the best ways to execute criminals, er, defend themselves, er, defend their property, er, here it is, defend the property of others.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Inked 17 wrote:
    when you have the right facts, send me a reply, till then keep shootin people who dont belong where they are. Hitler and Napoleon would love you, keep it up. Good thing to teach your kids!!
    I am citing Godwin's Law, your argument is therefore invalidated.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Nonetheless, this opens up a new can of worms. If someone catches a burglar in the act, is he justified in restraining him, locking him in the basement, torturing him for a week, and then executing him? If so, I applaud the consistancy.
    Hyperbole much, Imp?

    There are, of course, reasonable limits to things such as that.

    In fact, I'd go so far as to say that's an asinine, inflamatory response, AND you're asking about an illegal action.

    Killing a burglar is not an illegal action.

    In most instances. Forgot I had to add that for people that aren't smart enough to know it without it being pointed out. :quirky
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,436

    Post imported post

    The Ghost of HankT lives on.........She would be proud.



    Guys.....Let this one go.



    Tarzan

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    1,877

    Post imported post

    Just one more thing...

    IMO, using the term "Old Coot" is not cool. He's an old guy, sure, but not an Old Coot, Geezer or any other of the derogatory labels ignorant people regularly use for the elderly.

    If we live long enough, we'll be old guys/gals, too...that doesn't mean we should be disrespected just because we ARE old. And as we DO get older, webecome increasinglyvulnerable to tough-guy younger/faster/strongerpunks seeking to prey on us...unless we have our "tools" handy.

    But as the story shows, old people still can pull a trigger and hit the target...now THAT's cool!

    Some societies respect the elderly, Americans seem not to. But as for me, I do...and I surewouldn't mind hanging out with/learning fromold guys/gals (yes,old galsshoottrash, too) like Raymond Bunte.

    JMO.

    Merry Christmas,

    -- John D.



    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    35

    Post imported post

    Excellent point Sir, ty and Merry Christmas to ALL

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,436

    Post imported post

    cloudcroft wrote:
    ......IMO, using the term "Old Coot" is not cool.......
    Remember John D. that the original post was by HankT and she liked to stir things up. She didn't do anything by accident and I am sure that the post, along with its title, was designed to get us all riled up..



    Tarzan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •