• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

States that require a permit to open carry..

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, you're twisting things around, but I'm gonna try to get something out of that. What you have said is that you're NOT allowed to drive through and refuse to converse at a normal check point. I think we all agree that this would then be an illegal stop w/o reasonable articulable suspicion. If this is how ALL current check-points are operated, then yes, they are illegal and unconstitutional.

The question, again, is whether or not it is illegal and unconstitutional to set up a check point and ask that people consensually answer questions, not stopping them if they refuse. THAT is the only question I'm asking right now. I'm not saying it is or isn't. I'm asking what you, and everyone else, thinks...

AbNo

imported post

No, that's... how every check point I've ever been through has been.

You drive up to it, there's a LEO standing in the middle of the road, blocking you from proceeding, and another comes over and starts asking you about your personal business.

You're not free to leave until the LEO at your window tells the LEO standing in front of your car you're free to go.

LEO at your window won't wave LEO 2 away until he feels like it.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Which would be detaining without probable cause. it's the same situation as this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXnK5UyRI

Which I'm sure you've all seen before. He was not allowed to leave. i'm sure if he would have started walking away, they would've tackled him and arrested him for "evading police." My father is a cop, and I respect him for everything he does, but at some point, I just can't take it.

Demarest

imported post

The stopping of every single car is not probable cause and violates a citizen's Fourth Amendment right to be secure in their person and property.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo Wrote:
Based on the theory that we can do whatever we want unless there's a law against it, then you're saying we should be able to drive w/o a license, since the law doesn't say the act is prohibited.. I believe that driving on a public roadway IS illegal with the exception of those who are licensed to do so. I'll see what I can find on those sorts of laws after I get rid of this cold...
Please see attached.....

Attachments

• RTT.doc
    123.5 KB · Views: 139

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
DreQo Wrote:
Based on the theory that we can do whatever we want unless there's a law against it, then you're saying we should be able to drive w/o a license, since the law doesn't say the act is prohibited.. I believe that driving on a public roadway IS illegal with the exception of those who are licensed to do so. I'll see what I can find on those sorts of laws after I get rid of this cold...
Please see attached.....

I never said it was RIGHT, but if I'm not mistaken there are currently laws (unconstitutional or not) that make it illegal to drive on a public roadway w/o a license, right? That was my point. Thank you for the reference, though, I've not read that one as of yet.

Anyway guys, you've made some good points and I have changed my view for the most part. Thank you to those who presented facts and argued their side intelligently.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, so after reading that document, the implication is that one has the right to travel w/o any license or registration or so forth. Is it reasonable to believe, however, that at the present time this would be nearly impossible for the average person to do, since they would constantly be having charges brought upon them and having to fight, and eventually win, said charges in court?

To suggest that a person avoid licensing, registration, and the like is the same as suggesting that a person carry a gun wherever they wish. Do we have the right to do both? Yes. Are the current laws restricting these rights unconstitutional? Yes. But can we then simply ignore them and go about as though the laws don't exist?.........

AbNo

imported post

Well, let me ask you this, show me an instance of a God, god, or otherwise given right to drive a car.

Now, show me stated case where you have a God-given right to carry a weapon.

Seriously, are you doing this on purpose? :banghead:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Well, let me ask you this, show me an instance of a God, god, or otherwise given right to drive a car.

Now, show me stated case where you have a God-given right to carry a weapon.

Seriously, are you doing this on purpose? :banghead:
I'm posing the question because some people say we should be free to do whatever we want, but there are laws in place that say otherwise. So, some people say that those laws are unconstitutional, and should be ignored. I'm not trying to make a point either way. I'm asking questions so we can discuss the topic..

Demarest

imported post

DreQo wrote:
But can we then simply ignore them and go about as though the laws don't exist?.........
Not only can we, but it is our DUTY. Our forefathers utilized those principles and paid for them in blood. All we have to do is keep it going. If a bully demands your lunch money under threat of bodily harm and you pay him, you are feeding him and training him to return for more as well as justifying his similar attacks on your countrymen. It was true on the playground and it is true in real life, even if that bully has a badge as if he has any authority over you. The Constitution limits the government, not people. When the government steps out of line, who's there to keep them in check? It can only be the people.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Demarest wrote:
DreQo wrote:
But can we then simply ignore them and go about as though the laws don't exist?.........
Not only can we, but it is our DUTY. Our forefathers utilized those principles and paid for them in blood. All we have to do is keep it going. If a bully demands your lunch money under threat of bodily harm and you pay him, you are feeding him and training him to return for more as well as justifying his similar attacks on your countrymen. It was true on the playground and it is true in real life, even if that bully has a badge as if he has any authority over you. The Constitution limits the government, not people. When the government steps out of line, who's there to keep them in check? It can only be the people.

Ok, so do you, Demarest, carry everywhere regardless of law, and drive w/o a license or registration? I'm not challenging you, I am curious. If you do, then I admire that, and I would very likely consider doing the same. If you don't, then it would seem that you are being a hypocrite to some, but I will not accuse you of such. I would simply ask why, whileyou believe that you should, you don't. Again, I am not instigating, I am discussing...

expvideo

imported post

DreQo wrote:
This same theory should be able to be applied to openly carrying where a permit is required, as well. If one is breaking no laws, therefore not giving a LEO RAS, then there should be, under almost all circumstances, no reason for you to be stopped and asked for said permit. This obviously is NOT suggest because, again, if you happen to fit the description of a suspect, or there is another issue, you might very well be arrested and charged.

Anyway I've also heard that there is a law that says something to the extent of any evidence that is collected illegally cannot be used against you. If this is correct, and you were illegally stopped and asked for your permit (or drivers license) at which time you didn't have one, couldn't you then argue that that fact was collected illegally and therefore cannot be held against you?

Just some random thoughts I thought I'd share....

There is a flaw with your logic. You are making three very unhealthy assumptions.

1. Cops will obey the law and leave you alone, not make up the rules as they go along. (this goes hand-in-hand with the assumption that cops know the law)

2. Cops will be honest in their reports, and won't try to make you look like the bad guy.

3. Cops will be punished by their department or sued by you if they don't obey the laws.

OK, so let me break these down for you. From my personal experience, all three above statements are false. In the Tukwila incident (washington forum) I was harrassed by police officers who knew that they weren't supposed to, because they knew OC was legal. In their police reports they lied and tried to make it sound like I was acting like I was a drug addict going through withdrawls that tried to attack them (this is all imaginary, I was polite and stood still the whole time). Their reports made me sound like a super-criminal, and them sound like heros. The police reports flat out lie about the situation. Now I'm trying to sue them, but it's hard. There are basically no lawyers out there willing to sue police departments over gun rights. the ones that are won't do it on contingency, because they don't expect you to win more than a couple hundred dollars from the department. It is very difficult to sue a police department and win enough money to cover your legal fees, unless you were severely injured or killed because of the officers' actions.

So again, all three of those assumptions are false. We don't live in the nice pleasant world of honest cops that we used to. Todays cops know that if they arrest you, they can write up a report about how horrible of a person you were, and how you threatened them, etc. they know that the legal system will force you to get a lawyer, and that it is easier (and generally the only financial option) to accept a plea deal, and your "illegal evidence" will never be brought up in court. Another win for the good guys, huh?

When you file your complaint with internal affairs, you will get a letter in the mail, like I did, about how they have determined that the officers did not violate the law. They will make this determination by reading the officers' reports, and nothing else. When you speak with a supervising officer, he will support his officers' actions and tell you that you are wrong.

I hate our justice system. It is very dirty, and it is not about justice anymore. Our police are not held accountable. This is an illusion.

expvideo

imported post

DreQo wrote:
So, some people say that those laws are unconstitutional, and should be ignored.
I would be wary of following their advice. The law is the law. If you don't approve of a law, you can't protest it by just ignoring it. Yes, it seems patriotic, but there are legal ways to get a law repealed. They aren't as exciting, but is jail the kind of exciting you want? I don't want to lose my gun rights by fighting for them. I want to lobby the government and make changes, not clog the legal system and spend a whole bunch of money on defense attourneys.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
DreQo wrote:
This same theory should be able to be applied to openly carrying where a permit is required, as well. If one is breaking no laws, therefore not giving a LEO RAS, then there should be, under almost all circumstances, no reason for you to be stopped and asked for said permit. This obviously is NOT suggest because, again, if you happen to fit the description of a suspect, or there is another issue, you might very well be arrested and charged.

Anyway I've also heard that there is a law that says something to the extent of any evidence that is collected illegally cannot be used against you. If this is correct, and you were illegally stopped and asked for your permit (or drivers license) at which time you didn't have one, couldn't you then argue that that fact was collected illegally and therefore cannot be held against you?

Just some random thoughts I thought I'd share....

There is a flaw with your logic. You are making three very unhealthy assumptions.

1. Cops will obey the law and leave you alone, not make up the rules as they go along. (this goes hand-in-hand with the assumption that cops know the law)

2. Cops will be honest in their reports, and won't try to make you look like the bad guy.

3. Cops will be punished by their department or sued by you if they don't obey the laws.

OK, so let me break these down for you. From my personal experience, all three above statements are false. In the Tukwila incident (washington forum) I was harrassed by police officers who knew that they weren't supposed to, because they knew OC was legal. In their police reports they lied and tried to make it sound like I was acting like I was a drug addict going through withdrawls that tried to attack them (this is all imaginary, I was polite and stood still the whole time). Their reports made me sound like a super-criminal, and them sound like heros. The police reports flat out lie about the situation. Now I'm trying to sue them, but it's hard. There are basically no lawyers out there willing to sue police departments over gun rights. the ones that are won't do it on contingency, because they don't expect you to win more than a couple hundred dollars from the department. It is very difficult to sue a police department and win enough money to cover your legal fees, unless you were severely injured or killed because of the officers' actions.

So again, all three of those assumptions are false. We don't live in the nice pleasant world of honest cops that we used to. Todays cops know that if they arrest you, they can write up a report about how horrible of a person you were, and how you threatened them, etc. they know that the legal system will force you to get a lawyer, and that it is easier (and generally the only financial option) to accept a plea deal, and your "illegal evidence" will never be brought up in court. Another win for the good guys, huh?

When you file your complaint with internal affairs, you will get a letter in the mail, like I did, about how they have determined that the officers did not violate the law. They will make this determination by reading the officers' reports, and nothing else. When you speak with a supervising officer, he will support his officers' actions and tell you that you are wrong.

I hate our justice system. It is very dirty, and it is not about justice anymore. Our police are not held accountable. This is an illusion.
+1 ... Very well said... http://www.constitution.org/lrev/slobogin_testilying.htm ....Google "Testilying"

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

You're right, I'm assuming that the law enforcement wont break the law. I do realize, though, that unfortunately this can't be assumed. Pretty sad, really.

imported post

In the POLICE STATE OF LOUISIANA, the cops stop every vehicle ALL THE TIME to check your driver's license. Fourth amendment? Probable cause? LOL.........that's funny.......those cops don't give a hoot about that stuff. After all, who is going to police THEM, Hank T?

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

That happens to me all the time. Belle chasse Highway is notorious for the local sheriffs making up bullshit excuses to pull you over just to check your license, and your record. I've been pulled over numerous times and "let go" for absolutely nothing.

LKB3rd

imported post

I'm pretty sure that police checkpoints, randomly stopping people and demanding papers is illegal unless you live in Nazi Germany... or the United States when they decide that we need to be protected from terrorists by giving up our freedoms. That way, if we have no freedoms, they can't hate us for them, and we'll be safe.

;)

LKB3rd

imported post

AbNo wrote:
DreQo wrote:
The act of a LEO looking for evidence that a crime is being committed is not illegal or unconstitutional, as long as he's not violating your privacy.

Unless you voluntarily stop and strike up a friendly chat with said officer, then they are requiring you to stop. The slippery slope argument kicks in from there. He is violating your right to drive from point a to point b without being stopped by police.

Can i go stand in the middle of the road, stop drivers, and ask them what they think of the game last night? They aren't stopping you to have a friendly chat, they are trying to get uninformed people to give up their rights, using their position of authority to make it easier- aka you wouldn't honk at them and give them the finger like you would if i stood in the road and tried to make you stop and talk about the game.

EagleFiveZero

imported post

There are jurisdictions in which it is legal to Open Carry, but to possess a firearm on your person in that same jurisdiction, registration is required by law.

In such a setting, you'd need to have your registration with you while taking part in Open Carry. I have personally seen that and since the registration was valid and the numbers on the sidearm were the same as the ones on the registation (blue card), the LEO let the person go about their business and said 'Have a Nice Day'.