• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal Mart open carry twice

Demarest

imported post

In recent times, it's come to my attention that some Wal Mart's have hassled law-abiding citizens who've done nothing wrong as there was confusion of liquor licensing. Also that apparently, they used to have a corporate policy of no firearms. As such, I thought I'd share my experiences of the day as they did have elements of "suspicion" to them. *sarcastic gasp*

My father picked me up as we were going ammo shopping. I had considered concealing just because I was purchasing ammo. I brought up the prospect with a buddy of mine and he said he's done that several times without issue. Fair enough. The suspicion part was that hearing I was going ammo shopping, he tossed me some cash and asked me to grab him some too. So there I was, open carrying, and buying what would seem to any non-gun owner as being a LOT of ammo.

To make it a bit more suspicious (not really), I was unable to find help. I'm used to nobody being at the sporting goods counter, but help's usually not but two aisles away. Not today. Since I had called them earlier for pricing info, their number was in my recent call list. So I called them from within the store. As luck would have it, the girl who answered was the one in charge of that department. Despite all of the above, she was not uncomfortable. Nor were any police involved.

Get back to my place and my father remembered something he wanted to look at there. That and we found out online that Ann Coulter's new book would be cheaper there than to have it shipped, we headed back. Making the final suspicion the fact that I left and came right back. Again, not really.

No isses. I'm sure I got a few looks, but that's it. Not even so much as somebody asking me about it. With all the Wal Mart talk, I thought people might like to know about this.

Legba

imported post

Well, the Ohio law as written does make the "Class D premesis" ambiguous. It's commonly understood to mean that this applies to places where on-site consumption is permitted, but technically, a Sunday take-out only license is a sub-category of Class D liquor license. It's hairsplitting like this (not to mention my own recent/current experience with one cop's interpretation of "concealed ready at hand") that convinces me that we need to hammer the state legislature for some disambiguation in these laws.

-ljp