• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video: The story of Katrina confiscation

imperialism2024

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Note in one instance - so far as I have watched any way - the presence of the military (wannabe) arm of the Department of Homeland Severity, the Coast Guard. So much for Posse Comitatus.
So much for not having the military policing the citizens of this country... TBH, I didn't even pick up on that in the video.

Really, though, it's things like this that keep me from wanting to pursue a career in law enforcement. I feel like I could provide a good service to citizens, as I actually know what the role of a police officer is; but, I'm not going to be confiscating guns because of a corrupt administration, and I'm not going to be busting people on drug charges when there's real crime occurring that needs to be solved, and I'm not going to be detaining and strip-searching every Arab-looking person who has a camera.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
SNIP but, I'm not going to be confiscating guns because of a corrupt administration..
"Damn, Chief. I've hassled 30 people in the last two days and I can't find a single gun. The citizens around here sure are a wiley bunch."

WhiteFeather

imported post

Imperializm2024,

I share yourthoughts however I look at as a challenge. I am pursuing a career in law enforcement for the reason that I wish to be a proper law abidingleo.Just because there is a severe lack of understanding a persons rights in some departments does not mean that we should give up on all police officers. I know some very upstanding officers.I feel it is wrong to criticize police departments and count them lost without trying to change them. And I may never in my life time completely changethe department that hires me,Ican still make an impact. Andputting that aside I canand will be the best officer I can be. And maybe in doing so I can impact someone elses life. Never count something lost until you have looked for it...

imperialism2024

imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
Imperializm2024,

I share yourthoughts however I look at as a challenge. I am pursuing a career in law enforcement for the reason that I wish to be a proper law abidingleo.Just because there is a severe lack of understanding a persons rights in some departments does not mean that we should give up on all police officers. I know some very upstanding officers.I feel it is wrong to criticize police departments and count them lost without trying to change them. And I may never in my life time completely changethe department that hires me,Ican still make an impact. Andputting that aside I canand will be the best officer I can be. And maybe in doing so I can impact someone elses life. Never count something lost until you have looked for it...
Oh, I understand that. And I applaud your taking on such a challenge. I hope that you can help initiate the movement toward more responsible policing in this country.

Unfortunately, I don't share the same optimism. I fear that I would be out of a job and blacklisted the first time I refuse to arrest a kid when a little baggie of weed drops out of his glove box when getting his registration, or the first time I get a "man with a gun" call and refuse to throw the OCer on the ground and grab his holstered weapon. Once again, though, I applaud what you're hoping to do, and truly hope you succeed. Maybe I'll eventually be persuaded to enter law enforcement.

Tomahawk

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't share the same optimism. I fear that I would be out of a job and blacklisted the first time I refuse to arrest a kid when a little baggie of weed drops out of his glove box when getting his registration, or the first time I get a "man with a gun" call and refuse to throw the OCer on the ground and grab his holstered weapon.
There are large segments of the public who would have your head for not enforcing drug laws.

I've never had any interest in being a cop, for a number of reasons, and enforcing bad laws is certainly one of them. I could not take a paycheck and promise to do something that, by conscience, I knew would be wrong. Only way to win that game is not to play, by my figuring.