Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you open carry over your winter coat?

Post imported post

And keep the gun clean and dry??? Ace

Post imported post

Good question- something Im going to need to answer as well.

Perhaps a sammich baggie as a hat?:P
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

Coats are for wimps. Just take it, do without and pretend you're not freezing your ass off.

Seriously, this is a good question. It's the biggest problem with OC, after ignorant soccer moms.

Post imported post

I think I'm going to need a bandoleer holster and a stainless gun. Ace

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

For restaurants, I take the coat off anyway.

For everywhere else, I usually just toss the coat in the car and walk in.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

In Kansas, if I ride my horse on a public road, my gun must be visable. I just want to go about my business without moving my gun around, taking it off, unloading it ,ect. If police had to do what they require of others, the laws would be different. I definately feel "infringed". Ace :X

Post imported post

I don't.......

Not much OC for me in the winter.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Maybe something like this? Drop leg holster with a flap to mostly cover your gun. And it's a genuine (replica) cavalry holster for horseback riding.

http://www.marstar.ca/ac-holsters/repro-US-1911.shtm

Thats pretty cool looking. For $50 I may have to get one for myself this winter.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Some more affordable reproduction military rigs for the 1911 (and some others):

http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    SNIP:
    pretend you're not freezing your ass off.

i wear shorts 99% of the time, it isn't that cold

No jacket required, toss a chemical heat pack in for strong side front pants pocket insert hand as needed.

I boycott winter clothing it makes me look fatter thanI am, no North Face Buffy coat for me.

edit: thermal socks if needed
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Wear a shorter coat.

State Researcher

Post imported post

It's not that cold down here in Bama anyway, but once it gets to being cold enough for a coat, no more OC for me, unless of course I take the coat off in a restaurant or something.

State Researcher

Post imported post

You could wear the firearm OVER a coat with a duty type rig. This is sometimeshow military and police types do it. This takes a certain kind of coat, though, and more gear. The holster should probably be similiar to the ones mentioned above if you're looking for some extra protection from the weather. If you wanted to stick with the winter coat you have now, you may have to utilize a holster that drops below your coat, like a thigh rig.

Maybe someone should design some nice designer coats made to incorporate a belt carried weapon. It would either be cut short where necessary, or even have a slot that could be unzipped and allow a duty-type rig to protrude. Maybe that sort of thing is already available, I unno..

Post imported post

Conceiled or not conceiled is left to the eye of the LEO.

State Researcher

Post imported post

ace1001 wrote:
    Conceiled or not conceiled is left to the eye of the LEO.
    Whoa what? Please explain that statement (and use spell check).

Anyway I thought I'd also suggest a holster like the ones on this page. They're the "standard issue" nylon military holsters, and theyprovide greater coverage with a flap, like the leather ones mentioned above. You can also be sure that most (hopefully all)firearms are designed to operate in "extreme conditions", so a little rain or snow on your gun isn't going to render it useless. Just make sure you dryher off and keep her clean and oiled like always .

Post imported post

Thigh holster would work wonders....

Post imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
    Murse, too.

State Researcher

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    kurtmax_0 wrote:
    Murse, too.
    Sorry, we're discussion open carry, Hank. Normally I'd suggest you either offer something helpful and on topic or don't offer anything at all, but in your case, I'm gonna skip to just don't offer anything at all.

Anyway, back on topic, there was a thread a little bit ago about thigh rigs where it was mentioned that it would be practical for moving the weapon down below a coat. Another option might be throwing a shoulder rig over your coat, then moving the weapon to a waist holster when you take your coat (and shoulder rig) off. Some question whether or not a shoulder rig could be considered concealed, though.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    kurtmax_0 wrote:
    Murse, too.
    Sorry, we're discussion open carry, Hank.
    The newest ones are combo man purse/holster for OC.

Fine leather construction in autumn colors....

Pick up a set of matchingfingerless mall ninja gloves and .....cold weather OC with a fashion flair!

Post imported post

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

But that would frighten small children, most women and most all liberal "men."

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

The assistant to the Kansas AG in charge of CC told me,when I suggested a booklet on Kansas gun laws was needed, that they like to leave local law enforcement "some leeway to work with". I think I have a right for them to make the law a CLEAR as is humanly possible. BTW how do you use spellcheck on these forums? Ace

Post imported post

No need for a coat. Try wearing a sweatshirt w/ thermals.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Ok, Hank, so you're saying that image you just posted would be legally considered open carry? Good, I volunteer you to be the test for that one.

Anyway, BACK ON TOPIC (again)..Jensen, that was the thigh rig I was considering, all though I wont be able to get a serpa holster for myself until january, at the earliest. Do you have the lvl 3 holster as pictured?

The assistant to the Kansas AG in charge of CC told me,when I suggested a booklet on Kansas gun laws was needed, that they like to leave local law enforcement "some leeway to work with". I think I have a right for them to make the law a CLEAR as is humanly possible. BTW how do you use spellcheck on these forums? Ace
    Ok, your original statement made it seem like you agreed that it was up to the LEO...I guess you're saying that you were being sarcastic? And yeah, I use spell check...I suggested you did just because spelling conceal with an i was just really obvious...

No need for a coat. Try wearing a sweatshirt w/ thermals.
    This would be suitable for being outside all day, but if you're traveling outside and then going into a heated building, you need to be able to take your layers off.

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote: That is bit too "Tacticool" for me... looks like something Judge Dredd would wear... maybe Robocop.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast