• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you open carry over your winter coat?

ace1001

imported post

The assistant to the Kansas AG in charge of CC told me,when I suggested a booklet on Kansas gun laws was needed, that they like to leave local law enforcement "some leeway to work with". I think I have a right for them to make the law a CLEAR as is humanly possible. BTW how do you use spellcheck on these forums? Ace

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, Hank, so you're saying that image you just posted would be legally considered open carry? Good, I volunteer you to be the test for that one.

Anyway, BACK ON TOPIC (again)..Jensen, that was the thigh rig I was considering, all though I wont be able to get a serpa holster for myself until january, at the earliest. Do you have the lvl 3 holster as pictured?

The assistant to the Kansas AG in charge of CC told me,when I suggested a booklet on Kansas gun laws was needed, that they like to leave local law enforcement "some leeway to work with". I think I have a right for them to make the law a CLEAR as is humanly possible. BTW how do you use spellcheck on these forums? Ace

Ok, your original statement made it seem like you agreed that it was up to the LEO...I guess you're saying that you were being sarcastic? And yeah, I use spell check...I suggested you did just because spelling conceal with an i was just really obvious...

No need for a coat. Try wearing a sweatshirt w/ thermals.
This would be suitable for being outside all day, but if you're traveling outside and then going into a heated building, you need to be able to take your layers off.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
I have this set up...

CQC_L3TACSERPA.jpg

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4320&C=C1714
That is bit too "Tacticool" for me... looks like something Judge Dredd would wear... maybe Robocop.

kurtmax_0

imported post

It may be 'tacticlol' but it's the only thing I can think of that works. I wouldn't not use something useful just because some people might think I'm a mall ninja.

That aside, I do prefer standard belt holsters, but those only work during the summer....

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I usually just wear a sweater tucked into my pants (which is about all I need around here most of the year. I also have a jacket from the military surplus (and police supply) store. It also has "side zippers and snap tabs for easy weapon access."

Galls sells one like it for about $200, but I got mine for about $60 (brand new) a few years ago at the surplus store.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
for those with a BH CQC there is a shoulder rig.
http://www.botachtactical.com/blcqcshha.html

I would prefer a vertical muzzle than horizontal for OC.

I agree that vertical would be better for the sake of not pointing your muzzle at anyone, but drawing from a horizontal carry is much more natural. Also, I really don't think you could draw from the Serpa very well at all if it was vertical. That is nice that with that one holster you have so many options.

So with that shoulder holster in mind, would everyone agree that, OVER a coat, this would be considered open carry?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

One thing I just thought of, is a vest, over a coat,that has a holster on it, or some other piece of gear that could go on over the coat.

30VT09_0.JPG
37CL81_1.JPG

Now in my personal opinion, these are both waaay too tacti-cool for normal use, BUT they do accomplish the goal of openly displaying a handgun over a jacket or coat.

Hey, couldn't Danbus's "Black Man With a Gun" hat be considered open carry, since he's openly stating that he's armed? lol That should be enough even if it's under your coat. :D

ace1001

imported post

Hey, couldn't Danbus's "Black Man With a Gun" hat be considered open carry, since he's openly stating that he's armed? lol That should be enough even if it's under your coat. :D

In Kansas they must see the actual gun. They would prefer I carry the gun in my actual hand. Talk about threatening:what:ace

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Dry? I carry a Glock and its can get wet.

I also wear a flight jacket with a hoodie under it... but it doesn't get that cold in Nevada.

I'd suggest a shoulder holster with a chest strap, as you can't exatly attach to your belt like normal.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Dry? I carry a Glock and its can get wet...
Very true, I can't think of a gun that wont shoot after a little rain water. I can understand wanting to keep the rain and snow off the gun just so you don't have a wet grip potentially sliding out of your hands.

Mjolnir

imported post

HankT wrote:
The newest ones are combo man purse/holster for OC.

CCWSonoraPursePagePHOTO1.gif

Fine leather construction in autumn colors....

Pick up a set of matchingfingerless mall ninja gloves and .....cold weather OC with a fashion flair!
Hank, Hank, Hank, what will I ever do with you :banghead::banghead:

That's a females purse & the exact one the wife has & it's a great purse for the women.

However, for the guys I recomend Hawkepak Rifle Bug Out Bag
http://www.suarezinternational.com/AKReload.AVI or the new Sneaky Bags, but ifin ya don't like them then ya can always take a gander at this bag: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6598 or this bag http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=51152&an=0&page=0#51152 as it sounds like it's going to be a great man purse, or ya can always go with the tried and proven Maxpedition Fatboy:p:p:p

Mjolnir

imported post

Now that that is taken care of for open carry one of the very best thigh holsters an the market today is the safariland 6004 & it's not nearly as big/bulky as the serpa thing. Not to mention it's a much better holster and proven itself time and time again by both military and LEO shooters. I've got a 1st generation 6004 and it's been round the world with me several times.

6004.jpg

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

There goes Mjolnir again with his anti Serpa agenda. :p You gonna come to the next Utah meet??? You can see me wearing my big ass thigh rig. 4 out of 9 people carried in a Serpa last night. You could help lower that ratio. ;)