• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you open carry over your winter coat?

Mjolnir

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
There goes Mjolnir again with his anti Serpa agenda. :p You gonna come to the next Utah meet??? You can see me wearing my big ass thigh rig. 4 out of 9 people carried in a Serpa last night. You could help lower that ratio. ;)
No anti serpa agenda like the pro serpa agenda so many people here have. Just pointing out a superb quality holster that's proven itself over and over again & well worth the price of admission. Guess that's what happens when ya believe in quality gear instead of profesional airsofters gear :shock::p

What's wrong with pointing out other options for drop holsters, it's a well known fact I don't have any serpas and don't trust em, but you're more than welcome to use what ya want. Nowhere did I bash the serpa or talk trash about it now did I? Not to mention nowhere did I bring up that abortion of a vest thing that DreQo posted a picture of :lol:

Going to a Utah OC meet and not seing any serpa's would be like going to a hi point meet & greet and seeing a Sig :idea::idea:

Besides, ifin I showed up it would be 4 out of 10 people who were brave enough to actually wear a serpa out in public......Hummmm, that's just not acceptable for the OC forum now is it... ;);)

Mjolnir

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
There goes Mjolnir again with his anti Serpa agenda. :p You gonna come to the next Utah meet??? You can see me wearing my big ass thigh rig. 4 out of 9 people carried in a Serpa last night. You could help lower that ratio. ;)
Have you ever visited the http://www.10-8forums.com forum??

Ya might want to go over there & do a search for SERPA and see what pops up & check out the people talking about em.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:

lol in Mjolnir's defense, he did make legitimate comparisons. I would agree that the safariland holster would be a better choice for a thigh rig over all, BUT I like the fact that the Serpa allows you to simply buy separate platforms for ONE holster...cuts costs a lot.

is the Serpa thigh rig really any more bulky than the SL?

Mjolnir

imported post

DreQo wrote:
lol in Mjolnir's defense, he did make legitimate comparisons. I would agree that the safariland holster would be a better choice for a thigh rig over all, BUT I like the fact that the Serpa allows you to simply buy separate platforms for ONE holster...cuts costs a lot.

I've seen one of the serpa drop rigs in person and it just seemed bulkier and awkward compared to the 6004 & the dual leg straps don't seem to add much if anything to stabalize it when running.

However, I've got to admit the concept of having one holster with the ability to shift it from different platforms is intriguing.

AZRaptor

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
DreQo wrote:

I've seen one of the serpa drop rigs in person and it just seemed bulkier and awkward compared to the 6004 & the dual leg straps don't seem to add much if anything to stabalize it when running.

However, I've got to admit the concept of having one holster with the ability to shift it from different platforms is intriguing.
I was going through my closet this morning and found a 6004 for my Beretta 92FS tucked away. I was looking at the screw pattern on the back of the base and it looked like the same layout as the 6360 I temporarily had for my Glock 21 before I returned the holster. I didn't try it, but it looked like I shoulda been able to swap the holsters between carrying bases.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

AZRaptor wrote:
I was going through my closet this morning and found a 6004 for my Beretta 92FS tucked away. I was looking at the screw pattern on the back of the base and it looked like the same layout as the 6360 I temporarily had for my Glock 21 before I returned the holster. I didn't try it, but it looked like I shoulda been able to swap the holsters between carrying bases.

You are absolutely right. After this thread I did more research on the safarilands and found out that you can indeed switch platforms with the same holster. The holster I ordered was on back order, so I haven't gotten it yet, but I already have the leg shroud, and the quality on the thing is ridiculous! I had no idea how much thought and work they put into these things. It even comes with an allen wrench that snaps in behind the shroud.

molonlabetn

imported post

No... simply because I primarily OC out of convenience, in the summer generally. If I put on a jacket, the gun is going to be concealed until I take the jacket off.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
No... simply because I primarily OC out of convenience, in the summer generally. If I put on a jacket, the gun is going to be concealed until I take the jacket off.

The question wasn't do you, the question was HOW do you. There are a lot of us that open carry as a choice, but there are also a lot that don't have the option to conceal, so they HAVE to open carry.

So I guess the general consensus here is that the best way is either a lower holster (thigh), a shoulder rig over the coat, or a coat that opens on the side to expose a belt holstered sidearm, right? Does anyone have any photo examples of these?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
So I guess the general consensus here is that the best way is either a lower holster (thigh), a shoulder rig over the coat, or a coat that opens on the side to expose a belt holstered sidearm, right? Does anyone have any photo examples of these?
Here is my thigh rig that made it into the local paper.

4722413.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

lol yeah, thats a pic of a thigh holster, but it's also a close up. I was kinda thinking of a good full body shot of someone in a coat and a holster so people could see for themselves whether it looks too tacti-cool or not. When I ordered my latest holster, I got a thigh platform along with it, and I can't manage to convince my girlfriend that a thigh rig wont look that bad. The holsters not here yet so I've been showing her the few pics I've found of "normal" people wearing them, your pic was one of them. She still says it looks like you're playing robocop (no offense to you, Jensen lol).

Mjolnir

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Here is my thigh rig that made it into the local paper.

4722413.jpg
Dang, that thing looks extremly bulky & it sticks the pistol out rather far from your body in the picture, more so than the one I've seen in person.

Sure looks like it's ridding way low, do you get a full natural grip on the butt of the pistol & where does your arm is relaxed & your hand is at it's natural resting position on the butt of the pistol.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

On the milder winter days, no coat is needed when transitioning from the vehicle to building. The weather would need to be much colder than it is here in Richmond right now for this to be a real problem..

For the more frigid weather, I have acquired (thanks be to Skidmark) several belt slid holsters that allow a short jacket to be tucked between the hoster and the belt. If it is raining hard, I CC outdoors then remove my coat after entering the building if I were to be inside for more than a few minutes.

If I lived in Alaska, maybe I'd just add a belt w/holster to the outside of the coat. ;)

Yata hey

unrequited

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
Have you ever visited the http://www.10-8forums.com forum??

Ya might want to go over there & do a search for SERPA and see what pops up & check out the people talking about em.
I only found ONE thread, and the OH NOS stories don't convince me. Half of the detractors cite second or third hand stories themselves, so *shrug*. Good read though, and if you'd posted this in the first place instead of just saying, "trust me, I am blackops!" you might have made your point, or at least the beginning of one... instead of looking like a crazon.

bohdi

imported post

Having lived in a state that used to be covered in snow for a good 5-6 months (MN) one way a person could deal with the whole OC/CC is to leave the coat in the car when you go inside. Hopefully your parking close enough (or under cover/ground) to whatever establishment your going into. We didn't lug our parka's/snow jacketsinto the bars/clubs (when of age) and took them into malls (if desired), we RAN really fast to get inside and prayed that there wasn't drizzle/sleet/rain/snow to ice the doors shut - that sucks. That's one solution. Leave your outer wear in the vehicle.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Here's some pics of the thigh rig I just bought. This is the only open carry option I'll have this winter if I'm wearing a jacket or coat.

9561thighfront.JPG
4236thighside.JPG

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Never really thought about it much, and people might think you look dorky, but you could tuck your jacket in like you would a shirt. (assuming your jacket isn't too thick)

kurtmax_0

imported post

That is something i dislike about thigh holsters. They do look dorky. But I'd be more concerned about functionality tbh.

Also, we all know you hate SERPAS Mjolnir... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and agree that your Rambo buddies (or whatever you called them in the thread awhile back) hate Blackhawk and its professional airsoft gear.

Well... I'm not Rambo. I'm not crawling around in sand 25 hours a day or skipping through the jungle. I'm pretty sure CQCs are perfectly fine holsters for 'mere civilians'.