Thread: CNN has new poll up

Post imported post

There is a gun poll at the moment on the CNN website under Glenn Beck's section.

Here is the link. Please vote that you "AGREE". We're doing pretty good so far.

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/glenn.beck/

Post imported post

corrected URL

www.cnn.com/beck

Post imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
    corrected URL

http://www.cnn.com/beck
    Thanks, but theoriginal URL works great for me.

Post imported post

On Monday morning (10/15) the results with over 6000 responses were 96% agree and 4% disagree.

The question:

Like it or not, guns exist and we have the right to own them. It's time we stop blaming guns and start blaming the people holding them. Do you agree or disagree?

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Same percentages, now with over 6200 votes. Won't see this poll discussed in the MSM, eh?

Post imported post

I Agree 96% 6036 I Disagree 4% 233

voted

Post imported post

Like it or not, guns exist and we have the right to own them. It's time we stop blaming guns and start blaming the people holding them. Do you agree or disagree?

I Agree
    96%

I Disagree
    4%

Total Votes: 6285

This is not a scientific poll

var qv_submitted;
    function qvSubmitVote(poll_id) { qv_submitted = poll_id;document.getElementById('qv_poll_' + poll_id).submit();qviFrameCheck(poll_id); }
    function qviFrameCheck(poll_id) { if(qv_submitted == poll_id) { qvGetResults(poll_id); } }
    function qvGetResults(poll_id) { var qv_results_ajax = new Ajax.Updater('cnnQV_Content_' + poll_id, '/POLLSERVER/results/virtual/' + poll_id, {asynchronous:true}); document.getElementById('cnnQVote').className = "cnnQVResult"; }

State Researcher

Post imported post

Voted. I'll admit that I'm surprised how one-sided the opinion seems to be there. Pleasantly so, but so none the less.

Post imported post

If you can take the time to hit an CNN poll, please check this thread to hit the virginia community college system poll, it greatly affects my safety,and my fiancees safety

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/5334.html

State Researcher

Post imported post

I like the way the question is worded. "Like it or not..." calls on BOTH the pro and anti-gun types, then"...guns exist and we have the right to own them." states a fact with no room for argument.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    I like the way the question is worded. "Like it or not..." calls on BOTH the pro and anti-gun types, then"...guns exist and we have the right to own them." states a fact with no room for argument.

The wording is OK in the sense thatit forces the issue for the respondent. It is a fact that "guns exist and we have the right to own them," sure.

But the survey question contains two embedded fallacies:

1. the either/or fallacy--the wording implies that it's either blame the guns orblame the criminal users. There is no logical reason why one couldn't reasonably blame both.

2. thechoice to "start blaming" the criminal users presupposes that the criminals are not being blamed now. This is a challengeable assumption and really, is very strained. Even confirmed scairdy cat libbers are already blaming the criminal gun users. And, of course, it is a trivial matter for non-libbers: they cannot "start blaming" the criminals. They already to.

Overall, the survey item is very weak. It won't produce any information. It's the drafting of totally inexperienced survey writer and it's easily challengeable.

Then, of course, the respondents are highly unlikely to the result of a random sample so there is no defense against a critique of non-response bias. Therefore there can be no generalizability of the poll.

The qualifier of "This is not a scientific poll" is both accurate and somewhat humorous. Such polls are not only not scientific, they are useless for anything other than fun, casual and inherently biaseddiscussions. They have no validity, no reliability. That's why we all just pick the polls for which we like the results...and ignore the polls that have results that we don't like. It's a little game we all play...

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Rule by polls or democracy is the rule of fools by fools. Let's not be any greater fools than we must be.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with sits and guns and the truth. NRA/GOP *******