• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CNN has new poll up

Thundar

imported post

On Monday morning (10/15) the results with over 6000 responses were 96% agree and 4% disagree.

The question:

Like it or not, guns exist and we have the right to own them. It's time we stop blaming guns and start blaming the people holding them. Do you agree or disagree?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Like it or not, guns exist and we have the right to own them. It's time we stop blaming guns and start blaming the people holding them. Do you agree or disagree?

I Agree
96%

I Disagree
4%

Total Votes: 6285

This is not a scientific poll

var qv_submitted;
function qvSubmitVote(poll_id) { qv_submitted = poll_id;document.getElementById('qv_poll_' + poll_id).submit();qviFrameCheck(poll_id); }
function qviFrameCheck(poll_id) { if(qv_submitted == poll_id) { qvGetResults(poll_id); } }
function qvGetResults(poll_id) { var qv_results_ajax = new Ajax.Updater('cnnQV_Content_' + poll_id, '/POLLSERVER/results/virtual/' + poll_id, {asynchronous:true}); document.getElementById('cnnQVote').className = "cnnQVResult"; }

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Voted. I'll admit that I'm surprised how one-sided the opinion seems to be there. Pleasantly so, but so none the less.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I like the way the question is worded. "Like it or not..." calls on BOTH the pro and anti-gun types, then"...guns exist and we have the right to own them." states a fact with no room for argument.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
I like the way the question is worded. "Like it or not..." calls on BOTH the pro and anti-gun types, then"...guns exist and we have the right to own them." states a fact with no room for argument.

The wording is OK in the sense thatit forces the issue for the respondent. It is a fact that "guns exist and we have the right to own them," sure.

But the survey question contains two embedded fallacies:

1. the either/or fallacy--the wording implies that it's either blame the guns orblame the criminal users. There is no logical reason why one couldn't reasonably blame both.

2. thechoice to "start blaming" the criminal users presupposes that the criminals are not being blamed now. This is a challengeable assumption and really, is very strained. Even confirmed scairdy cat libbers are already blaming the criminal gun users. And, of course, it is a trivial matter for non-libbers: they cannot "start blaming" the criminals. They already to.

Overall, the survey item is very weak. It won't produce any information. It's the drafting of totally inexperienced survey writer and it's easily challengeable.

Then, of course, the respondents are highly unlikely to the result of a random sample so there is no defense against a critique of non-response bias. Therefore there can be no generalizability of the poll.

The qualifier of "This is not a scientific poll" is both accurate and somewhat humorous. Such polls are not only not scientific, they are useless for anything other than fun, casual and inherently biaseddiscussions. They have no validity, no reliability. That's why we all just pick the polls for which we like the results...and ignore the polls that have results that we don't like. It's a little game we all play...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Rule by polls or democracy is the rule of fools by fools. Let's not be any greater fools than we must be.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with sits and guns and the truth. NRA/GOP KMA$$