• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Timeline leading to arrest of [rapper gangsta wannae] T.I.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.accessatlanta.com/music/content/music/stories/2007/10/14/TItimeline_1014.html

Timeline leading to arrest of T.I. Staff report Published on: 10/14/2007

Documents released by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives on Saturday detail the 11-day investigation that resulted in the arrest of Atlanta rapper Clifford "T.I." Harris:

—Oct. 2: Harris' bodyguard asks a licensed gun dealer about buying a machine gun without registering it, as required by law. The dealer reports the incident to ATF agents, who give the dealer the cell phone number of an undercover ATF agent, posing as a machine gun dealer, to pass along to the bodyguard. The bodyguard calls the number within hours.

—Oct. 10: Harris arranges for the bodyguard to pick up $12,000 in cash from his bank on Northside Parkway to buy the weapons. Later, the bodyguard meets with the undercover agent at a K-Mart store, 5997 Buford Highway, Doraville. The bodyguard gives the agent $2,200 and a .223-caliber pistol in exchange for three 9mm machine guns and two 9mm silencers. The bodyguard is then arrested. He tells agents he was buying the guns for Harris. He also says he has purchased about 25 firearms over the past 18 months for Harris and others. ATF agents confirm the purchases.

—Oct. 11: After agreeing to cooperate with the ATF, the bodyguard makes a monitored phone call to Harris. He tells Harris that he has "everything for you."

—Oct. 12: Harris calls his bodyguard and arranges for him to deliver the firearms the next day.

—Oct. 13, between 12:30 and 1 p.m.: Harris calls the bodyguard and asks him to bring the items to a recording studio. At the direction of ATF agents, the bodyguard suggests that they instead meet at a shopping center parking lot at the corner of Piedmont and North avenues in Atlanta.

—2:22 p.m.: Harris arrives at the parking lot. The bodyguard gets into Harris' vehicle and shows him the machine guns and silencers. When the bodyguard explains the function of one silencer, Harris says, "No flash, no bang." Harris also asks about ammunition, the capacity of the magazine and about "change left over" from the $12,000. Authorities then move in and arrest Harris without incident. A search of his vehicle uncovers three firearms, including one tucked between the driver's seat and the center console.

—2:40 p.m.: ATF agents begin searching Harris's home at 429 Creekview Lane, College Park. They find three rifles, two pistols and a revolver in a walk-in closet in his bedroom. Five of the firearms are loaded.

—Monday: Harris, held in federal custody over the weekend, is scheduled to make his first appearance in federal court on two felony charges: possession of unregistered machine guns and possession of firearms by a convicted felon.

Source: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA/GOP KMA$$

Demarest

imported post

I can't believe an FFL holder would call such a thing into the ATF; The bureau that is their livelihood's biggest threat and enemy.

If an ATF agent posed as anybody involved in a criminal act, they are guilty of that criminal act and should be punished accordingly.

Was Harris's bodyguard showing him props or real things? If it's the real things, then that means SOMEBODY (ATF) had access to them, so citizens should also. Even if they were props, we should be able to own the real things because they exist and our government has access to them.

If we're talking truthfully, the only criminal activity I see there is by a federal agent.

Legba

imported post

Well, "entrapment" doesn't much exist any more in practice, if it ever did. All you have to do is demonstrate any inclination to go along with whatever criminal act/conduct, and you're screwed. "The devil/ATF made me do it" is not going to wash in court. That and there is the doctrine of "permissible deception" - cops are allowed to lie about being cops and such, so this guy is not going to emerge a sympathetic character. He was apparently already under disability for whatever reason, so it sounds like he'll get racked for serious federal time if these charges stick.

Still, you're right, it seems odd that a dealer/licensee would get embroiled thus. I've heard of cases wherea guy goes into a gun shop or a gun show andasks about how to make a silencer and such, but dealers aren't LEOs and how is someone to know if such a person is trying (and failing) just to be funny or what. I would expect that any response other than "I don't know anything about that and wouldn't tell you if I did, now please bugger off" is liable to land a someone in trouble for conspiracy or abetting or some such. One might argue that just possessing or disseminating such information itself is not ipso facto criminal, but I'm not going to be the one to parse that "it depends on what 'is' is" kind of shit in court. Just say no. ;-/

-ljp

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Legba wrote:
Well, "entrapment" doesn't much exist any more, if it ever did. All you have to do is demonstrate any inclination to go along with whatever criminal act/conduct, and you're screwed. "The devil/AFT made me do it" is not going to wash in court. That and there is the doctrine of "permissible deception" - cops are allowed to lie about being cops and such, so this guy is not going to emerge a sympathetic character. He was apparently already under disability for whatever reason, so it sounds like he'll get racked for serious federal time if these charges stick.

Still, you're right, it seems odd that a dealer/licensee would get embroiled thus. I've heard of cases wherea guy goes into a gun shop or a gun show andasks about how to make a silencer and such, but dealers aren't LEOs and how is someone to know if such a person is trying (and failing) just to be funny or what. I would expect that any response other than "I don't know anything about that and wouldn't tell you if I did, now please bugger off" is liable to land a someone in trouble for conspiracy or abetting or some such. One might argue that just possessing or disseminating such information itself is not ipso facto criminal, but I'm not going to be the one to parse that "it depends on what 'is' is" kind of shit in court. Just say no. ;-/

-ljp

Entrapment

http://books.google.com/books?id=fVclJRuiGj0C&pg=PA78&lpg=PA78&dq=entrapment+utah&source=web&ots=mV7Ym6XjsN&sig=sxrgIvPS1kVmK-FqV--L_Rfumeo

steveforopen

imported post

In this case, I think the ATF was doing exactly what they were designed to do; ensuring that felons do not gain access to firearms through vice-like work. I doubt most of you were aware but T.I. was arrested years ago on felony drug charges in Georgia and served over a year.

The gun store probably tipped off the ATF over concerns that a straw-purchase of controlled firearms was about to take place. I don't see any harm in this; in fact, I would go so far to say it would be their civic duty to do so. I for one wouldn't like to sleep with the images of a machine-gun massacre in my head knowing that one phone call could have prevented it.

All in all, I think this piece of crap got what he deserved. Has anyone ever listened to him? All he raps about is the glory of selling cocaine. His music is not only socially irresponsible but it's unconscisable to think that our children are constantly exposed to it in every venue.

In my opinion, these are the kind of derelicts we need locked up in the first place.

Demarest

imported post

Legba wrote:
"The devil/ATF made me do it" is not going to wash in court.
I wasn't talking about a defense. I'm saying that if what the bodyguard did was criminal, so is what the ATF agent did. We look the other way with such unAmerican establishments of privileged classes because we're willing to sacrifice some of our liberties for the ILLUSION of safety. Nevermind the fact that they stretch the lines to include us whenever possible.

@steveforopen: Sorry, but I don't share your statist viewpoints. Most drug deals are business between two consenting adults. Without a victim, there is no crime. I refuse to observe most of what they term as drug crimes, let alone being felony ones. Next, even by "their rules," an FFL holder is not guilty of abetting a straw purchase unless he is the one doing the selling. Likewise, if somebody he SPOKE TO ONE TIME ends up going on an illegal rampage, that has nothing to do with him. Anti's try to use that argument all the time to harrass gun sellers and manufacturer's out of business. Finally, disagreeing with what somebody else says is not grounds enough for the loss of their rights.

You say you don't see the harm in tipping the ATF off? Give me your name and address. We can tip them off that you, an innocent, are doing the same thing. Then watch how the unConstitutional federal agency tramples the civil rights of an innocent, law-abiding citizen, based on heresy while committing a crime by their own definition in the process.

We can't be okay with the raping of personal liberty just because it doesn't effect us directly or because it is used to ensnare one "criminal." They WILL take your condonation of the same as excuse to figure out a way to put a red flag on you too whether you've earned it or not.

Legba

imported post

Yeah, it does seem wrong in a basic way that they supply the actual contraband which consummates the criminal act - I know what you mean.

-ljp

Tomahawk

imported post

Whether or not you like his music has no bearing on the situation. Don't let your prejudice against music or drugs cloud the issue. Either the man was doing something wrong or he wasn't.

imperialism2024

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Whether or not you like his music has no bearing on the situation. Don't let your prejudice against music or drugs cloud the issue. Either the man was doing something wrong or he wasn't.

Yes... I'm getting some deja vu to the baggy pants thread.