• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good place to shoot in Oregon

xmirage2kx

imported post

What are some good places to go shooting in and around the portland/beaverton/hillsboro area? I am not looking for a range so much as a place out in the boonies. I am only gonna be there a few days but my firends want to go out shooting with me (it will be their first time so they have no clue where to go). All the areas I know of area fewhours away from the portland area, and I am looking for something closer. GPS locations are nice if you have them, but I would like atleast a general set of directions or aprox location if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Chain

imported post

Wow, I've been wondering the same thing. Oregon resident living near dallas/salem. I've been wondering what what the rules are for that as well. When I ask my friends where a good place to shoot at is, they generally say "out in the woods some where". When I ask them about the legality of it they're like "about a mile outside city limits". I understand that laws differ from city to city - county to county .. But some general pointers at least would be nice. Lastly, if nothing else, who would be best to ask, A law enforcement officer / sheriff?

I know of a few ranges, but I always preferred the more casual (but in no way less responsible) atmosphere of shooting with my friend's family (I didn't have any firearms my self at the time, I didn't even realize what they were doing coult be potentially illegal :( ) now that I have my own, I don't want to lose them by to ignorance and assumption :)

xmirage2kx

imported post

After looking around as long as you are outside of city limits and on public land (or private w/ permission) you are fine. Of course proper backstops (hill/mountian) and common sense come into play. and i beleive you have to be 50 or 100 yards from a building or residence (hunting rule, so not sure if it applys to target pratice)