• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry question

suburbangunslinger

imported post

I'm from Illinois and I'm going to next years MG shoot at Knob Creek. I am 18 and own a .357 Revolver, can I open carry all over the place or are there limits (like 1000 ft. from any school etc.)

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Knob Creek is in Kentucky I believe. Now would be a good time for TrueBrit to jump on in no?

BTW welcome suburbangunslinger. I too am interested in making the trip up to knob creek when I get the money saved up.

Legba

imported post

That whole Knob Creek thing started as an outgrowth of some backwater militia movement in Kentucky. It's achieved a sort of cool status at this point, but be aware that there is a hard-core cadre of militants associated with it who are probably being watched and/or infiltrated by the feds. If you just want to target shoot, fine, but I'd be careful about signing up for newsletters. You'll end up on the "no fly" list before you know it.

-ljp

TrueBrit

imported post

Legba wrote:
That whole Knob Creek thing started as an outgrowth of some backwater militia movement in Kentucky. It's achieved a sort of cool status at this point, but be aware that there is a hard-core cadre of militants associated with it who are probably being watched and/or infiltrated by the feds. If you just want to target shoot, fine, but I'd be careful about signing up for newsletters. You'll end up on the "no fly" list before you know it.

-ljp

Sage advice , indeed, from Legba. OC is indeed legal at age 18 in KY,absent felony convictions, etc, but do exercise common sense!Check out the KRS, since IANAL!

Welcome to OCDO, Sir!

TrueBrit.

AbNo

imported post

Update...

At KCR they check all weapons at the gate. They must be unloaded with the receiver bolt open where they will then attach a zip tie through it to make sure it is verifyably open for the entire stay.

Honestly, it's not worth carrying too unless you plan to trade or sell what you're bringing.

That from a guy that goes every year, so...

ekucrj

imported post

Knobb creek does not allow any weapons to be carried concealed or open unless unloaded and ziptied

TheMrMitch

imported post

I'm going to post some simple Kentucky laws and touch on a few more:

[align=left]Traveler's checklist:[/align]

[align=left] *Firearms Ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]

[align=left]
*Assault weapon ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]

[align=left] *Machine Gun Ownership:
no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only[/align]

[align=left] *Firearm law uniformity:
preemption law, firearm laws uniform throughout state[/align]

[align=left] *Right of Self-Defense: castle doctrine, right protected by statute[/align]

[align=left] *Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted[/align]

[align=left] *Concealed carry:
licenses granted to residents on a "shall issue" basis; automatic
reciprocity for nonresidents with licenses from other states[/align]

[align=left] *Vehicle carry and transportation:
firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may
be carried
loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns maybe carried in
the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed)
[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]As far carrying open in Kentucky, if you are 18 or over...no problem. Even out of state.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]At knob Creek, youmay also carry openbut your magazine must be removed and a plastictie inserted through your action...any weapon coming on board will be done the same.[/align]

[align=left]This is STRICTLY FOR SAFETY REASONS![/align]
[align=left]www.machinegunshoot.com This is the place to go.[/align]

ParatrooperJJ

imported post

Legba wrote:

-ljp
Not quite sure wherethat is coming from, but the Knob Creek shoot is the premier machine gun shoot in the country.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I kinda brushed the hard core militia charge off. I've known Junie Sumner since the 70s and his son Kenny in later years and have never had an inkling of any militia.:shock:

Oubliette

imported post

Um… this is utter nonsense. I compete at Knob Creek at least once a month (often twice)and have been a member for years. Other than advertisements for gun manufacturers the only instructional sign at the gate is the speed limit. According to Kenny (the owner) the ONLY place you cannot carry a loaded gun on the property is inside the range house. They do ask that you unload before entering. But more often that not I forget and I have NEVER been asked to correct the problem. In fact the range used by my group (KPDL) is cold and is stricter than the upper range run by Knob Creek. And the only zip tie I have ever seen there was on a loaf of bread at the Christmas party they have every year. It wouldn’t make much sense to zip tie a weapon open at a GUN RANGE where you go to SHOOT now would it? Duh. I really wish people would only post the facts… it would help us all.

TheMrMitch

imported post

"Duh. I really wish people would only post the facts… it would help us all."

OK....Facts. You will be asked to unload your weapon and a tie inserted at Knob Creek.

Where you may be getting confused is we were discussing the MG shoot which occurs twice yearly. Correct on the range house...whether inforced or not.

If shooting the regular range, one is not supposed to have a 'hot' weapon when the line goes cold. I do not know if they check your side arm as I'm commissioned in Kentucky to carry at all times. Clarence grabbed me once from the rear, (and security has stopped me several times)because I had my mag still in and grinned when he recognized me.:D

Yes, you will be asked to unload and a tie will be inserted at Knob Creek MG shoot.

Oubliette

imported post

My pardon Mr. Mitch, while I did read all the posts I didn’t realize the discussion was ONLY for the Machinegun Shoots twice yearly. I was under the impression that people thought it an everyday affair, which it is not. Thanks for the correction.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OCDO. I was starting to get apprehensive that this was going to turn into a flame war, but happy to see that the KY gentility I grew up with is alive and well in the state forum ;)

TheMrMitch

imported post

HehHeh...deepdiver...I've been around too long to flame and only been flamed once.

The Genteel Lady wasabsolutely polite.:D

I do hope people see the differences we covered.

I am starting to like this board more each time I come here.:celebrate