• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Incident with Virginia State Police- Details

cato

imported post

If sleeping OCers would just post their name, birth date and firearm serial number on a card on the dashthe concerned Leos could make sureyou arenot a convicted felon without wakingyouup!

LEO 229

imported post

cato wrote:
If sleeping OCers would just post their name, birth date and firearm serial number on a card on the dashthe concerned Leos could make sureyou arenot a convicted felon without wakingyouup!

This is true.....

I know that when I am sleeping on duty.. I do not want to be woke up by citizens.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FogRider wrote:
Don't remember where the heck I was going with this reply, so here is a random pic from my hard drive:

HotStormtrooper.jpg
Hmmn, I feel myself being pulled over to the dark side....

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

I wouldn't have filed complaints had they had handled it a bit better. I believe some officers are so enraged by citizens carrying arms that they just lose all perspective and start "making itup as they go along". I once had a Prince William County officer tell me that "carrying a load gun in your car is felony, mandatory 5 years in prison. It has to be unloaded and in a locked case".When I told him that was incorrect, he started saying he couldtake me to jail right now.When I said "call a supervisor right now please, or I'm calling Chief CharlieDeane at home right now. He is a customer of mine (as I start paging through my daytimer phone directory)." Two of his three backers then stepped in and corrected him. The officer was right out of the academy so I just let it go. We all do stupid things when we are young and just starting out. I remember telling one of my best customers Merry Christmas. She was Jewish, and very offended. Probably still is. I don't know because she is now someoneElse's best customer. :banghead:

That State Trooper is another story. She has been with VSP 22 years. A Friend of mine that runs a litigation support business (process server/financial investigations etc.) ran her. She is old enough to know better.

LEO 229

imported post

When I feel the LEO was wrong in what they did I strongly suggest a complaint be filed.

There are also times when I do not see aviolation that would warrant a complaint.

In your case.... I think they were wrong and you were right.

There was nothing wrong with your being armed at the rest stop. When I traveled in the military... I would stop at rest stops to sleep and was armed. I can completely understand your desire to be armed while in an area that is unknown to you.

Best of luck to you.

sjhipple

imported post

I'm still trying to figure out how someone was going to break into your car and steal your gun...while you were still in it. :quirky Seems a sleeping guy with a gun next to him wouldn't be a thief's first target :lol:

Officers really need to learn the laws of when they can and can't detain people. It's getting ridiculous. Good luck with your complaint.

LEO 229

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how someone was going to break into your car and steal your gun...while you were still in it. :quirky Seems a sleeping guy with a gun next to him wouldn't be a thief's first target :lol:

Officers really need to learn the laws of when they can and can't detain people. It's getting ridiculous. Good luck with your complaint.
Not likely with him sitting in the car. Once they thump the window the first time he will wake up. When they thump it again he could shoot them.

Not really worth the risk.