• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is This a Good Answer To Someone Who Asks About Your OCing?

Is This a good response to the woman's question?

• I don't think he actually said that. No one can be that obstreporous. He just made it up to sound co

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. The woman's husband might come over and start an argument with the OCer.

• I would have said something like "No, ma'am, I'm just legally carrying for self-defense. Have a nice

• No, the OCer was unnecessarily rude to the woman.

• Yes, the woman should know that OC is a right that can and should be exercised.

• Yes, the woman was a ditz.

• Yes, all women have vaginas, yet she did refused to answer a simple question.

• Yes, but it would not be a good answer for a male who asked the same question.

• Yes, we must support any patriot who open carries. Solidarity is the rule.

• Total voters

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Every once in a while, while you are out OCing, minding your own business, a regular ole citizen (i.e., sheeple) will not comprehend why a law-abiding citizen would be carrying a gun :shock:and will ask the dumb question: Are you a police officer?

As if that is the only reason why anyone would carry a gun :shock:.

How to handle thedumb questionis a personal matter and everyone figures out their manner of replying.

One our bretheren recently responded thusly:

A very, obviously nervous soccer mom was standing in line behind me, fixated on my 357. When I noticed her looking, she finally asked "THE QUESTION." "Are you a police officer?" When I answered to the negative, she commented, "well, since you have a gun, I just thought you were one." So I turned the tables on her. "Ma'am, do you have a vagina?" Now that rattled her even more, rendering her speechless. " I figure since you do, then you must be a prostitute." I've never seen anyone drop their items and leave a store that quickly.

Is This a good response to the woman's question?

**** You may select as many choices in this poll as you wish.****

Legba

imported post

I liked it, but then if you're using me as some standard, you'll likely end up in a prison psychiatric ward yourself.

-ljp

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

I like how the analogy compares cops to prostitutes! :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

Otherwise, it's a rude/obscene way of answering someone... I wouldn't talk to a lady like that, no matter how rude or ignorant she may be.

imported post

Ole' Hank is taking a jab at me.............go ahead, Hank, make my day.

I'm not just tired, I'm DAMNED tired of people that stupid. At age 55, I've reached my limit for such. Or, as a friend once said after I nearly had to pull her off of a city councilwoman, "I'm old, I'm tired and I'm cranky." Well, I guess so am I. You younger pups can continue to deal with the idjits, I'm pretty much done.

Marco

imported post

Why not just post a link to the thread?
You should get a job at a polling booth.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/4682.html

Funny, YES.
Rude, YES.
Something I would never do!
Am I going to slam the poster of this comment, NO.
In my opinionit doesn't reflect positively on us as a group.

No, I didn't vote in your poll.

imported post

For years, I've watched all kinds of groups. From an off road dirt bike group lobbying timber companys to ride on their land or property owners dealing with the government. If it's one common thread I've noticed, most ALL of them "niced" themselves into oblivion. Just look at the NRA(negotiate rights away) for an example most of you could relate to. Being nice, friendly, polite has gotten this country to where it is today. As the saying goes, doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. I guarantee this airheaded bimbette told ALL her acquaintances about me. Hopefully, someone will take the time to determine what I do everyday is perfectly legal. Good. She and her circle of folks will have learned a lesson that should stay with them forever, probably moreso than had I handed her an informative flyer with dry facts about open carry.

Demarest

imported post

This is in response to a post that is one of the two already existing "citizens questioning us" threads. It didn't need its own thread.

Funny and makes the point. But rude and a terrible waste of an opportunity to educate the public and bridge the gap that has us fielding that question to begin with.

VAopencarry

imported post

I wouldn't say it........ it is funny.:lol:

If I have been through what Mr. Marchiafava has, I might have a 'short fuse' on the subject myself.

tapper95

imported post

Funny as a joke, not funny as an actual incident...

I have been known to have an offbeat sense of humor, but that was definitely a screwed up opportunity to turn a potentially negative situation into a positive, educational situation. If you are going to choose to carry a weapon concealed, you had better be prepared to educate the public when asked about it...

Most of us live and/or grew up in a part of society where firearms are acceptable and treated with respect and responsibility. Many people do not have that benefit. Many people are also "closet" gun peoplefor a variety of reasons.Some people also pick up firearms for the wrong reasons (look cool, act cool, various criminal acts) and that is what sticks in people's minds. We need to work on re-educating the people that are on the fence. We will not have much luck swinging hard-core antis, but the huge chunk in the middle can be educated.

OCers are a vast minority, and as shown by many threads here, the general public (andsometimes the police) do not understand many of the laws that allow or at least do not restrict, the right to openly carry.

Rudeness only goes to enforce the stereotype that we areall jsut a bunch of gun-nuts.

That soccer mom now has one more piece of evidence in her brain (along with all the news clips, movie scenes, and brady propaganda) that tells her guns are bad. We need to show people the true nature of our gun culture: the responsibility, the respect, the fun parts of the shooting sports, but most of all the politeness.

One last tip (one that I will be following myself soon): Carry a pamphlet of local laws to hand out to the curious. Like it or not, as an OCer, you are a political statement. Do not waste that opportunity or give it over to the antis as more propoganda.

bourneshooter

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
I like how the analogy compares cops to prostitutes! :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

Otherwise, it's a rude/obscene way of answering someone... I wouldn't talk to a lady like that, no matter how rude or ignorant she may be.

Right on the money! Even though I wouldn't be likely use the original example due to how rude it was/is/could be, I could see some situations where it would be more than appropriate.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
I love vaginas and guns... But guns are cheaper.

I'm simply being responsible with my money :D

I spent almost all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted. ;)

FightingGlock19

imported post

dunno where the story came from, but it's a rehash of an old urban legend story about an army general & NPR news corrispondant that, like-wise, is made up.

mazellan819

imported post

Ok I don't get it. Many of you are bashing leos because there are some bad ones. This is the same logic that those sheeple use to lump all of us oc'ers to being gun nuts and trigger happy. The fact is that there are idgets in any circle. Take a look at our fine bunch. We have people like the OP of this alleged statement. I say alleged because he "says" he said it. I highly doubt he has the marbles to do so and is nothing more than a bigoted troll. As a future Leo I am offended (Bring on the flame). If we are to gain any ground we need to educate not only the sheeple, we need to educate the government including police officers. Being a future leo I take my knowledge of the laws and educate those I come in contact with in my furthering education (see my post on my presentation).

imported post

If you doubt the veracity of my statement, come walk with me for a few days.

Future LEO? Why would ANYone want to voluntarily join the ranks of THAT bunch?

Wouldn't you rather have a job where violating others is NOT part of your employment? Anyone who (today) wants to be an LEO would arouse my curiosity.

I've learned educating the sheeple is a waste of time. Let me share with you the words of the late, great Nathan Earl Miller.

"Take 'em off the streets, give 'em books, try and try and try to teach 'em how to read, they use the pages for toilet paper." OH, how true. Educating the "government" is even more futile. Those people have to be, without a doubt, the largest group of closedminded folks ever assembled under one roof. They REFUSE to be taught. It's not in their makeup to learn, especially from us "peons."

mazellan819

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
If you doubt the veracity of my statement, come walk with me for a few days.

Future LEO? Why would ANYone want to voluntarily join the ranks of THAT bunch?

Wouldn't you rather have a job where violating others is NOT part of your employment? Anyone who (today) wants to be an LEO would arouse my curiosity.

I've learned educating the sheeple is a waste of time. Let me share with you the words of the late, great Nathan Earl Miller.

"Take 'em off the streets, give 'em books, try and try and try to teach 'em how to read, they use the pages for toilet paper." OH, how true. Educating the "Insert any group or race" is even more futile. Those people have to be, without a doubt, the largest group of closedminded folks ever assembled under one roof. They REFUSE to be taugt. It's not in their makeup to learn, especially from us "peons."
I rest my case.

bcop35

imported post

Wow you really showed her!! Im sure if it were a 6'6" 300lbs. man asking the same question, your response would have been just as stupid...right? Your obviously a couple morepolice academy flunkies. Then again, any "man"who "supposedly" spoke to a woman insuch amanner, probably would'nt make it through the application process. But at least you had the opportunity to speak to a woman....without the use of a credit card!!

People like you are the reason folks are so uneasy about open carrying. Irresponsible andthoughtless behavior! I'd like to hearpart 2of that story (which is fictional Im sure) Where the ladys husband kicks the @#$%! out of you and shoves that .357 upyour@#$. Permanent conseal carry!! Grow up!!