• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is This a Good Answer To Someone Who Asks About Your OCing?

Is This a good response to the woman's question?

• I don't think he actually said that. No one can be that obstreporous. He just made it up to sound co

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. The woman's husband might come over and start an argument with the OCer.

• I would have said something like "No, ma'am, I'm just legally carrying for self-defense. Have a nice

• No, the OCer was unnecessarily rude to the woman.

• Yes, the woman should know that OC is a right that can and should be exercised.

• Yes, the woman was a ditz.

• Yes, all women have vaginas, yet she did refused to answer a simple question.

• Yes, but it would not be a good answer for a male who asked the same question.

• Yes, we must support any patriot who open carries. Solidarity is the rule.

• Total voters

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
Every once in a while, while you are out OCing, minding your own business, a regular ole citizen (i.e., sheeple) will not comprehend why a law-abiding citizen would be carrying a gun :shock:and will ask the dumb question: Are you a police officer?

As if that is the only reason why anyone would carry a gun :shock:.

How to handle thedumb questionis a personal matter and everyone figures out their manner of replying.

One our bretheren recently responded thusly:

A very, obviously nervous soccer mom was standing in line behind me, fixated on my 357. When I noticed her looking, she finally asked "THE QUESTION." "Are you a police officer?" When I answered to the negative, she commented, "well, since you have a gun, I just thought you were one." So I turned the tables on her. "Ma'am, do you have a vagina?" Now that rattled her even more, rendering her speechless. " I figure since you do, then you must be a prostitute." I've never seen anyone drop their items and leave a store that quickly.

Is This a good response to the woman's question?

**** You may select as many choices in this poll as you wish.****
I don't believe you truly said this... it is funny to read, but I just can't even see you saying this Hank, but if you did good for you.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

bcop35 wrote:
Wow you really showed her!! Im sure if it were a 6'6" 300lbs. man asking the same question, your response would have been just as stupid...right? Your obviously a couple morepolice academy flunkies. Then again, any "man"who "supposedly" spoke to a woman insuch amanner, probably would'nt make it through the application process. But at least you had the opportunity to speak to a woman....without the use of a credit card!!

People like you are the reason folks are so uneasy about open carrying. Irresponsible andthoughtless behavior! I'd like to hearpart 2of that story (which is fictional Im sure) Where the ladys husband kicks the @#$%! out of you and shoves that .357 upyour@#$. Permanent conseal carry!! Grow up!!
You are right, a real cop would have waited until after he was married or at least had brain washed his girl friend to beat the crap out of a woman and talk down to her.

Thank you for making us aware!

Legba

imported post

Ouch... lotta rage, there, Ryan... ;-/

Also, slightly premature congrats on 1,000 posts.

-ljp

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

First off, thank you for the congrats. Hank said he was going to make me a 1000 post cake, I am looking forward to it, I hope it is checkerboard with buttercream frosting...

Secondly, I did not ready beyond the OP and a couple others I scanned over at first glance, apparantly the other gentleman said that.

I don't think it is necessarily horrible that someone would say this to another individual. First off it really was none of the womans business to go beyond are you a police officer. Secondly, I do not understand why people would ask someone if they are a cop, only if they are going to get freaked out if they aren't. If I was in that situation with that mind set, I would keep quiet and leave asap if I had any doubt. I certainly would not start probing the person for information.

Legba

imported post

I was commenting about the cop beating the crap out of his old lady remark... I don't take the OP very seriously, even if it went down as described. I've been asked if I was a cop, and then gotten more-or-less nervous looks when I said no. Never any snide remarks from me though. I figure most people who need to ask are already somewhat uncomfortable at the thought of non-LEOs packing openly. I don't care enough to stop doing it, but neither do I want to make the situation yet more awkward either. Let them see me not killing people (not without justification, anyway) and get acclimated to the idea.

-ljp

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:
I was commenting about the cop beating the crap out of his old lady remark... I don't take the OP very seriously, even if it went down as described. I've been asked if I was a cop, and then gotten more-or-less nervous looks when I said no. Never any snide remarks from me though. I figure most people who need to ask are already somewhat uncomfortable at the thought of non-LEOs packing openly. I don't care enough to stop doing it, but neither do I want to make the situation yet more awkward either. Let them see me not killing people (not without justification, anyway) and get acclimated to the idea.

-ljp
Yes, I have received the same questions from individuals, usually followed up by a "Whoa! - I didn't know that was legal!" Sometimes I will take the time to chat for a bit if I'm not in a rush.

What do you mean the people who "Need to ask"? People who just can't keep quiet, or people who are enforcing the regulations of a business say a walmart or something like that?

And I agree, I don't think anyone should care enough to stop doing it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NE1000cake.jpg

Congratumalations to openryan!

I even had it inscribed for you. It says:

Happy happy day for honorable Amerikan gun man.
clapsmiley.gif

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
NE1000cake.jpg

Congratumalations to openryan!

I even had it inscribed for you. It says:

Happy happy day for honorable Amerikan gun man.
clapsmiley.gif
WOW -- THANKS HANK, that cake sure was delicious...

I will save one piece in my freezer and eat it on November 10th, 2008.

Legba

imported post

Let us say people who feel the need to ask (nobody needs to, strictly)...

-ljp

protector84

imported post

I don't mind if people ask me about the carrying with a neutral to positive attitude. In otherwords, they are genuininely curious about the legal aspects of it or just want to find more information about firearms or gun ownership in general. I don't really have a problem telling someone off though if they have a bad attitude to begin with--man or woman. The person has already chosen to get in your space and then get in your business so if they choose to have an attitude over your business after that, I dismiss them as a crazy person, tell them politely to F-off and continue on about my business.

It seems like a lot of the OCers here are from Virginia. I don't know what the general culture is like there but it seems like Arizona has this negative "get in your business" attitude that I really cannot stand sometimes. It seems like it is culturally acceptable here for people to just stare you down continuously, get in your business, and then try to start something when you ask or tell them to get out of your space and business. On one hand, yes we as 2nd Amendment advocates want to educate the public but on the other hand people should keep their noses out of your business. If someone is closed-minded to begin with and has the nerve to ask you why you need to bring a gun into ABC grocery then there is no reason I should have a problem asking why it is any of their business. There is seriously something wrong with people in society these days. Nobody seems to want to learn anything new. They just want to waste your time and create a scene.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

protector84 wrote:
I don't mind if people ask me about the carrying with a neutral to positive attitude. In otherwords, they are genuininely curious about the legal aspects of it or just want to find more information about firearms or gun ownership in general.
Yep, I use it as a way to "get the word out" and will reply with freindly info and advice.

But if someone were rude and condescending, I don't have a problem with someone replying in the context of the poll question. Some people need told off IMO

sailer

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
You younger pups can continue to deal with the idjits, I'm pretty much done.

No, you're not. You just wish you were.

Or do you? I'd rather stay around a while longer, even if it means dealing with idjits.