Thread: ABC stores

Post imported post

I know that it is legal to carry open and concealed in an establishment that sells alcohol as long as it is not comsumed on the premises. IE grocery stores, git and split, etc..

It is illegal to carry in any establishment that has state or federal employees in it.

ABS stores are state ran, are the employees state employees making it illegal to carry in the ABC store?

CCWINNC

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO.

thereis a search feature that will allow you to look up some of the questions you mighthave.

on the home page there is a link to Virgina gun laws posted by Bobcav, there is also info that can be found @ VAGunInfo.org and Viginia Citizen's Defense League

EDIT:
    the answer to your question is posted here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...ight=abc+carry

Revision #2 didn't notice the OP posted in NC forum. the above may not apply
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

CCWINNC.......I assume you are asking this questions as it relates to North Carolina Laws (since this is the NC forum).......correct?

What law are you using to make the statement "It is illegal to carry in any establishment that has state or federal employees in it."..........nevermind, I found it....kind of........after reading NC's statutes, I'm not even gonna try to answer this one. I defer to someone more familiar with NC law.....:what:

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    CCWINNC.......I assume you are asking this questions as it relates to North Carolina Laws (since this is the NC forum).......correct?

What law are you using to make the statement "It is illegal to carry in any establishment that has state or federal employees in it."..........nevermind, I found it....kind of........after reading NC's statutes, I'm not even gonna try to answer this one. I defer to someone more familiar with NC law.....:what:
    Yes this is in reference to NC Law. Thanks for the try though.

Post imported post

It seems to be a bit of how you read the law, but IANAL. 14-415.11 says concealed weapons are prohibited "in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government." The question would be if an ABC store would be considered an "office" for the statute.

The general prohibition of weapons on "state property" in 14-269.4 doesn't list any place that would coincide with an ABC store, as it mentions things like the capital building and courts.

Now, 14-409.40 which is the state pre-emption section, does allow cities/counties, to prohibit weapons "in public-owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas"

So, in my reading, I'd stay that your average police officer might well consider that 14-415.11 disallows concealed carry in an ABC store, but you could open carry in one provided that there isn't a city/county ordinance against it.

All of this discussion becomes moot if they have a "NO WEAPONS" sign on the door.

As I said in another thread, might be something worth asking the Attorney General about, as I've gotten good information from them before on firearm matters.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

I have not had any problems in the ABC Storebut I carry concealed there any time that I go. The ABC Store in North Carolina is run by the city or county ABC Board so I would assume it was a local government establishment. Therefore they have the right to post the store with NO CCW signs, but if they do not, then you have the right to carry there since alcohol is not consumed on premises.On the other hand, all local government employees are also state employees, which would make an ABC store a state employees office,so this may not be the case. In my opinion the state offices provision in the North Carolina CCW law is too broad and we need to get it dropped since we can already not carry at the Governers Residence, Legislature, Police Stations, etc.

IANAL

Dubccat51

Post imported post

dubccat51 wrote:
    I have not had any problems in the ABC Storebut I carry concealed there any time that I go. The ABC Store in North Carolina is run by the city or county ABC Board so I would assume it was a local government establishment. Therefore they have the right to post the store with NO CCW signs, but if they do not, then you have the right to carry there since alcohol is not consumed on premises.On the other hand, all local government employees are also state employees, which would make an ABC store a state employees office,so this may not be the case. In my opinion the state offices provision in the North Carolina CCW law is too broad and we need to get it dropped since we can already not carry at the Governers Residence, Legislature, Police Stations, etc.

IANAL

Dubccat51
    +1