• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry question from a new guy

Rick9mm

imported post

Hey guys, im new here and i have read some of the posts. I have not seen anywhere, so far, a basic part of OC. My question is What is the deal with the magazine and bullets while OCing? I dont think you should have a round in the chamber, but is it legal to carry your weapon with a loaded magazine in the gun? It only makes sense to have the loaded magazine in the gun since you have the gun to use for self defence and your attacker is not going to wait for you to load up? Please fill me in on this information. Thanks a lot guys.

P.S. One more member from AZ.

Rick

captainamerica

imported post

Note, an attacker is not going to wait for you to rack the slide on a semiauto. I don't know anyone that doesn'tCCW and OC arevolverwith onebehind the hammer so I would think the semiauto is acceptable to be ready to fire (other than a safety).

Mainsail

imported post

Rick9mm wrote:
I dont think you should have a round in the chamber...
You don't think I should have a round in the chamber, or are you uncomfortable carrying a firearm with a round in the chamber.

My 1911 is loaded, cocked and locked.

Rick9mm

imported post

I meant one should not have one as a safety measure. I was asking if it waslegal to have the round ready, not if one should or is able to do it. I am comfortable to have the round ready in my home. Im just asking so that i cover my ass when i hand my weapon to an officer if i get pulled over. What does the law say about this.

Rick

Legba

imported post

DO NOT EVER reach for a gun during a police stop, unless and until instructed to do so, and only then handle it exactly in the manner so directed - permit or not. They will kill you otherwise. No joke.

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Rick9mm wrote:
I meant one should not have one as a safety measure.
"This is my safety" "Hoot" from Black Hawk Down

Safety is more than a mechanical device. It is a mindset, an attitude, and the way you handle a firearm.

And as Legba said, PLEASE do not touch your gun if pulled by a LEO. You will probably be shot, and with good reason. That just would not be smart.

xmirage2kx

imported post

Why would you hand your gun to a cop in the first place? If you can legally carry in any condition I see no reason why it should even come out of the holster. Just because you are asked to do something doesn’t mean you have to.Until I am under arrest My gun stays put in a LEO stop. I Have Had a LEO ask me to give him my gun to check during a traffic stop, I refused. When the cop asked why I told him It IS loaded and there is no reason for him to see it. In addition to this I informed him that it couldnt be in a safer place than my holster. At this point he dropped it and let me keep it on my hip.

(some state restrictions apply that would make the above bad advice, learn your state laws)

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Here is Las Vegas, its perfectly legal to carry with 1 in the chamber, racked and ready to go... full magazine and all... and I do.

Glock 19, Surefire X-200A, Hornady TAP FPD or Corbon Hardball, 2 extra mags.

Cue-Ball

imported post

As with most of the others who have already posted, I also carry with a full mag and a round in the chamber. If I'm in the position to need my gun, I don't want to have to rack the slide before I can use it.

If you don't feel 100% completely comfortable with a gun that has a round chambered, you may want to reconsider carrying.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

As far as I know, it is completely legal to carry in any condition in Alabama. When I carry my dad's 1911, it's cocked and locked. When I carry my XD, 10 in the mag and one in the chamber... no exceptions. An unloaded gun is just an expensive hammer, and a bad one at that. Also, no sense getting into a gunfight with a partially loaded gun either. You are going to want as many rounds as you can get.

Welcome to OCDO btw!

Don't touch your gun around the police. The next time your family sees you you will be dressed nice and they will be saying nice things about you...

Rick9mm

imported post

THANKS A LOT GUYS!

Like i said i just wanted to make sure it is legal. Im going to get my CW permit as soon as i get some money and time. My brother already has his. I like thiswebsite.:D

Rick

bourneshooter

imported post

When people ask me if my 1911 is loaded, I almost 100% of the time answer, "LOCKED, COCKED, AND READY TO ROCK!"

An aquaintance of mine who was NG - several deployments to the sandbox - told me the following. "When people ask if I my firearms are loaded I tell them that unless it is, it is just an expensive club. And in the case of an AR-15 style weapon innefective."

Demarest

imported post

When I first carried a semi, I carried it safetied without a round in the chamber. I was new to firearms and not THAT comfy yet... Until my first time making a delivery into a bad neighborhood. En route, I charged the gun. I started carrying it chambered. Then I was forced to draw in self-defense once. The dropping of the safety was automatic, but I decided I never wanted anything in between a draw and a shoot if I had to.

Of course, later I got a Glock, so it's chambered and unsafetied just as I was carrying before :)

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I have a 1911 also, but I carry a Beretta 3032 Tomcat for certain reasons (don't ask so I don't have to plead the 5th)...of course there IS a round in the chamber...why would I stack the odds against me?

But remember this: ANY gunyou HAVE ON YOU-- regardless of its carrying condition and EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO RACKTHE SLIDE-- is a HELL of a lot better AND FASTER to get into operation than a gun left in the caror at home. Besides, you're SUPPOSED to be aware of your surroundings and not be taken by surprise. Wise up.

Case closed.

Don't sweat the milliseconds...that's just pointless. Leave the ignorance re: reality to clueless liberals.

-- John D.

expvideo

imported post

Rick9mm wrote:
THANKS A LOT GUYS!

Like i said i just wanted to make sure it is legal. Im going to get my CW permit as soon as i get some money and time. My brother already has his. I like thiswebsite.:D

Rick

Well welcome aboard! As for the gun being loaded, I can understand where you are coming from, but I disagree. If you aren't familiar with the 4 rules, please take a moment to review them. I don't have a link, so I'll write them at the end of this post. If you follow the 4 rules, it won't matter if the gun is loaded, cocked, safety off, or anything else. Safety is a mindset.

Personally, I think that keeping the gun unloaded is less safe. Let me explain. First of all, there is the typical arguement that there is no point carrying the gun if the chamber isn't loaded, and that an attacker will not give you time to cycle the action to load a round. While I agree with this statement, there are plenty of arguements against this, and I don't want to debate it. The problem is the responsibility of safety. If you leave the chamber unloaded, then you have transfered the responsibility of safety to the firearm. This is a bad idea. You should always be responsible for safety. You should rely on yourself for safety, not on the firearm. This is why you hear of people accidentally shooting people when they thought the gun was unloaded. It is safer to assume that the gun has a round in the chamber than to assume that it doesn't. If this makes you uncomfortable, there are plenty of guns with safeties and double action triggers that will make an accidental discharge less likely, but again, follow the 4 rules and this won't be an issue with any gun, no matterhow it operates. (except maybe one of those Japanese pistols from WWII that looked kind of like an ugly Luger... they had a tendancy to just go off from what I've read) :D

As for the law, you will need to research your own state's regulations on handguns.

Here are the 4 rules; If you follow them, you will never have to worry about an accidental or negligent discharge:

1. Treat every gun as if it were loaded at all times, even if you know for a fact that it is not.
2. Never, under any circumstance, point a gun at anything that you are unwilling to kill ordestroy. Always be aware of what your muzzle is pointed at.
3. Keep your finger off of the trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to fire. Even if you are anticipating having to fire, do not touch the trigger until you wish for a bullet to leave the barrel.*
4. Be aware of your target and what is beyond it. Consider where your bullet will go if it misses or over-penetrates, and be100%sure of what you are shooting at.

*A lot of people ask "what if" questions for this rule. Let me make it clear: even in a situation where you have an attacker at gunpoint, do not put your finger on the trigger. Your senses will be hightened and the slightest distraction could cause you to accidentally kill someone that has already surrendered. This is the case with a lot of officer involved shootings. The officer will enter the house with his finger on the trigger, and upon seeing someone they will accidentally shoot them because they are startled. Another situation would be that the officer has a suspect at gunpoint and then hears a gunshot or breakingglassin the next room, then flinches from the unexpected sound accidentally pulling the trigger. This doesn't just happen to cops; it can happen to you too. So really, honestly... keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome! Something to remember is that if you are having to draw your weapon, you are already under attack! Drawing your weapon takes one of your hands and your attention - even for a second - out of the fight. Trying to draw and then rack the slide to chamber a round (without short stroking or misfeeding) while being attacked is something I don't want to try.

In Hollyweird, you have two guys engaged in a witty battle of skills. In real life, you have a brick being smashed into your face.:what:

LoveMyCountry

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll add to what expvidep said. Carrying with an empty chamber can decrease your safety. Negligent discharges almost always happen when someone is handling a gun. The more you have to do with a gun while under the stress of an attack, the more likely something untoward will happen. Flipping the safety off is much less distracting and doesn't invove fumbling with the firearm to any extent. Racking the slide when you're scared to death might increase the risk that you'd instinctively grip the pistol tightly with your right hand.....and the trigger. JMHO.

Legba

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Legba,

No they won't, they have to fire a warning shot first!

Reach for it all you want...

;)

-- John D.

Nice epitaph that...

The last "warning" I got from a cop was "shut the **** up before I kick the shit out of you" afterI was already handcuffed and seated on the curbside. Real tough chick she was, eh? If I had offered to "show" them the gun I was then transporting in the car, they'd have emptied (4 detectives x # of bullets per magazine x # of magazines) + (backup uniforms responding and all their ammo)...

You'd need calculator to figure out how many bullets I'd have taken, even if they hit at the usual police rate of 15% or so. I think I did OK, all considered. In any case, the newby might not appreciate your sick humor.

-ljp