• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in banks...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Now to me until this state gets as relaxed as Arizona or Idaho I think OC in banks can be asking for trouble. I know, I'm being a chicken or coward, blah blah blah. Now that I've premptivly struck at the insults lets get to brass tacks.

Stopped at a Wells Fargo branch in Seattle to ask about some overdraft fees I couldn't explain.I had my P89underneath my carhart coat. The manager was VERY friendly in regards to my issue, reversed some fees and did some other nice things for me. While he was doing stuff I asked him how WF felt about carrying a pistol on their premises as I had never seen any signs or statements. He said if the state has given a CPL that Wells Fargo won't argue with it. He then went on to say that if my pistol was visible or "fell out" that there would be a lot of people freaking out and a bunch of trouble with cops, etc... Earlier he had mentioned he was from California, so I broke the news to him that anyone in this state with $60 who could legally own a gun could get a CPL without a reason. That kinda surprised him. I did not get into OC as he had already made it plain what the reaction would be...

With this weather I haven't bee doing much OC, but don't take much effort to hide it either, the carhart is plety long to do a good job even unzipped.

So the question is how do people feel about OC in banks? Right now, the way I see it is unless the bank is really hip to the notion, all the tellers don't freak out (remember people in banks are often trained to be alarmed at a visible weapon) and all the customers don't start freaking I think it would be fine. I don't see that happening yet. So to disappoint all the hardcore OCers, yes this is one more place I cover up.

Steve

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I've never carried in the bank, but that's mainly because Irarely go to the bank, and when I do, usually it's during work hours and I'm not carrying because of the company I work for.

I don't think it's a bad idea. I would be prepared for someone to freak out though. Hopefully not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
I don't think it's a bad idea. I would be prepared for someone to freak out though. Hopefully not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I don't either but until I settle the issue of the first person freaking out, I really don't want another. And I am very certain a "man with a gun in a bank" call would result in drawn weapons... An issue to be addressed, but after securing a beachhead...

Steve

G27

imported post

At my job I usually deal with large amounts of cash that have to be deposited at the bank. I always CC at the bank. I find myself OC'in less and less since it's the winter time, but in the past during the summer i tended to my suit jacket in the car when I was making deposits. No one has said anything to me except for the guy by my side one time. But he told me he was from Alaska and was used to seeing it and didn't phase him at all.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I've OCed a couple of times just walking in to buy some rolls of quarters; I just hold my $20 in my carry hand and stand in line - a Sun Trust Bank in Fairfax County, VA.

Only trouble has been getting out of the place - the assistant manager always tries to get me to consider opening an account :cool:

Ravenhawk

imported post

I remember a thread about this before .... The bank manager made a nice reply with something to the effect of "its not illegal to wear a ski mask into a bank" doesn't mean it's OK to ....

Isn't there a recent law prohibiting the wearing of hats / glass's in banks now?

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Since I don't live in Washington I haven't open carried in any of your banks, but I've carried in plenty of banks here in Virginia. Smile, make eye contact and keep your hands full of car keys or a coffee cup or something like that and you'll likely be fine.

heresolong

imported post

Don't most banks have signs asking you to remove any face coverings before you enter? Mine do. Seems that if they don't have a policy concerning weapons, I would just be careful. Maybe not make a point of heading straight to the bank, but if the bank is on your list and you are OCing, then just be careful.

Cue-Ball

imported post

Isn't there a recent law prohibiting the wearing of hats / glass's in banks now?
Not yet, but they're trying. Just one more piece of junk legislation to take care of something that should be the concern of the property owner.

As to the original topic, I don't have to actually go to the bank often, but I've carried twice at my local WaMu branch and had no problems. If I were ever confronted about it, I'd let them know that I have just as much right to guard my money and my safety as they have to guard theirs via armored trucks and armed guards.

Frankly, unless you've got a nickel plated 1911 with pearl grips or a safety orange holster, I'd be shocked if anyone even noticed.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Until they make a pill that turns your skin into kevlar, I won't do it. I was nearly shot for doing it in Wal Mart... I would never enter a bank OCing. I'm not afraid of standing up for my rights, I'm afraid of having more than the recommended amount of holes in me ;).

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I very rarely enter a bank proper. Get almost all my cash as "cash back" transactions with my coffee, get direct deposit and do everything online. I've OC'd at an ATM machine, not sure if anyone noticed, but people are so used to seeing people standing at ATM machines with guns, it probably didn't register.

A lot of banks have signs asking that dark glasses and hats be removed before entering. Despite a lot of BS, that is one reason I put up with Wells Fargo. Once you realize that talking to someone on the phone is useless and go to a branch and get (usually) decent service, they don't give a rip about dark glasses and hats. I was going to open a Key Bank account, and was wearing Transitions lenses, which of course had darkened before I went inside. Some little wage slave behind the counter almost hada stroke while telling me to take my dark glasses off. After the regional vice president of Key Bank finished apologizing to me and sending a letter of apology (it's for your own safety really, but please take this starbucks gift card with our compliments) I took my business elsewhere. I told that story several times in WF and always get a laugh out of it.

I'm still not convinced it is "safe" to OC in any of the banks here in Thurston County. Maybe if I useda bankall the time... I like the notions of having stuff in your hands, money, coffee, or whatever. Kinda lessens the percived threat in the eyes of the more paranoid.

Steve

Agent 47

imported post

I OC in banks at least twice a month when I go to deposit my check. Never had a problem and I have done it in Bank of America and Washington Mutual. I had a little kid looking at me last week in wa mu but that's about it. All the employees are as friendly as ever and have never mentioned it.

nathan

imported post

I OC'd in Lacamas Credit Union in Camas, WA the other day. The teller glaced at the 229 but didn't seem to mind. I was friendly, she was friendly, no problems. I also OC'd in the Camas public library. Again, no problems and I thought if anywhere would have a problem it would be the library.

Camas recently repealed its ban on firearms in public buildings because of WA state preemption. I figured another OC'er had been there first.. :) The city website still sites the old law though.

gsh341

imported post

I was recently told by the Head of Security for Wells Fargo that carrying a firearm inside any Wells Fargo is against corporate policy. The reason I was on the phone with this gentleman is that the regional manager here in Sioux Falls saw me enter one of the Wells Fargo branches and had the tellers ask me to leave because I had a gun on.

I have banked at Wells Fargo for the last 12 years or more and have open carried inside my local branch and the main branchin Sioux Falls at least twice a weekfor over 3 years now. This is the first I've heard of this policy. It is not posted and the Head of Security wouldn't send me a copy of the policy. The tellers and the branch manager were as confused as I was because they had never heard of this corporate policy. Since that day there has been a mass e-mailing to all the branches in the Sioux Falls area making sure that all branches know the policy and enforce it. I know this because I have spoken to some of the tellers about it.

Because of this, I have begun the process of closing all my accounts at Wells Fargo.

gsh341

imported post

Oh yeah, theHead of Securitysaid that they didn't want anyone to grab my weapon and rob the bank. :?

I think that it's highly unlikely that a bank robber will go to all the trouble to plan the heist, get all the necessary people, vehicles, and equipment together to rob a bank and then HOPE someone at the bank will have a gun they can use. :banghead:

Bear 45/70

imported post

gsh341 wrote:
I was recently told by the Head of Security for Wells Fargo that carrying a firearm inside any Wells Fargo is against corporate policy. The reason I was on the phone with this gentleman is that the regional manager here in Sioux Falls saw me enter one of the Wells Fargo branches and had the tellers ask me to leave because I had a gun on.

I have banked at Wells Fargo for the last 12 years or more and have open carried inside my local branch and the main branchin Sioux Falls at least twice a weekfor over 3 years now. This is the first I've heard of this policy. It is not posted and the Head of Security wouldn't send me a copy of the policy. The tellers and the branch manager were as confused as I was because they had never heard of this corporate policy. Since that day there has been a mass e-mailing to all the branches in the Sioux Falls area making sure that all branches know the policy and enforce it. I know this because I have spoken to some of the tellers about it.

Because of this, I have begun the process of closing all my accounts at Wells Fargo.

That's pure BS. Last time I withdrew $17,000 nobody said a damn thing about my gun. The with drawal was prearranged and they knew me and the only comment was "Good idea!" while the assistant manager pointed at the 1911 on my hip.

Bear 45/70

imported post

gsh341 wrote:
Oh yeah, theHead of Securitysaid that they didn't want anyone to grab my weapon and rob the bank. :?

I think that it's highly unlikely that a bank robber will go to all the trouble to plan the heist, get all the necessary people, vehicles, and equipment together to rob a bank and then HOPE someone at the bank will have a gun they can use. :banghead:
Again pure BS. They don't ask their armored car guards to disarm, do they? Hell most of these guys have about 5 minutes gun training and are now an armed guard.