• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who's asking about your gun?

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

Two more days, because my 21st birthday is tomorrow, and my Dad's taking me to buy my very first gun the day after.

And yeah, I live on the mountain.

Legba

imported post

Kendo_Bunny wrote:
Whenever anyone asks me about my desire to own a gun (just two more days!) and accuses me of preparing for something that will "never happen", I ask a few questions:

-Do you carry a tool kit and spare tire in your car?
-Do you have a charged cell phone, candles, and a battery-powered radio?
-Do you have casual sex without condoms? Do you have committed sex without birth control when you aren't trying to concieve?
-Do you give out your credit card or Social Security numbers over unsecure channels?
-Do you routinely walk down dark alleys in big cities completely alone?
-Do you buy more than one roll of toilet paper at a time?

Usually the rejoiner is that 'Well, guns don't make mugging victims safer.'
'You just said me being armed was silly, because I was never going to get mugged.'

I just noticed that I can only answer 2 of these "correctly" myself, and I still carry.

-ljp

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

If you answer even one of them correctly, then you're just as "paranoid" as someone who carries. That's the point.

Although when I made that point, some idiot actually argued that he didn't need to carry a spare tire or car tools because "love and understanding are much better than paranoia and living in fear". I asked him when was the last time that love and understanding changed a tire for him, and he didn't respond again.

Legba

imported post

I changed a tire for someone else only yesterday, so it can happen. Still, I was a passenger, so it wasn't quite love and understanding at work as much as practical necessity and the fact that the driver was a techno-tard who couldn't have managed it alone. ;-/

-ljp

massltca

imported post

When I first started carrying a gun my wife would ask if it was really necessary. Now she asks if I have it with me when we are leaving the house. :DThe only people that really know that I carry are my parents, my brothers and my in-laws and they never questioned me about why I do it. Course the only places I can carry openly are my apartment, my car and in the woods. Any other place and I risk being arrested and my permit revoked.

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

Legba wrote:
I changed a tire for someone else only yesterday, so it can happen.  Still, I was a passenger, so it wasn't quite love and understanding at work as much as practical necessity and the fact that the driver was a techno-tard who couldn't have managed it alone.   ;-/

-ljp

Heh, I usually get other people to do any of my technical work for me by bribing them with food. It's how I got AbNo to do an oil change for me :celebrate I know how to change tires and oil and all that jazz, I just don't like doing it.

But yeah- this guy didn't know how to change a tire and didn't care- he figured a Good Samaritan would always pop by and do all the work for him.

xmirage2kx

imported post

Legba wrote:
The females in my family are completely befuddled by the gun thing. They - predictably - insist that it's some psycho-sexual compensation "issue."
If that were the case I would carry something a bit larger than a Sub-compact. :celebrate

mrguppy

imported post

Kendo_Bunny wrote:
If you answer even one of them correctly, then you're just as "paranoid" as someone who carries. That's the point.

Although when I made that point, some idiot actually argued that he didn't need to carry a spare tire or car tools because "love and understanding are much better than paranoia and living in fear". I asked him when was the last time that love and understanding changed a tire for him, and he didn't respond again.
loved this by the way.

my mom was the one who got me my first gun. love her more b/c she did not give me a hard time when i asked her for it. the only thing she did was not tell me that i could open carry.:banghead: that was my dad. a big shocker btw(thanks dad:D). the only people who have asked me about my gun are the ones who have a fear of guns, did not know the law, or wanted to know what kind i have.

the one line i love to hear is omg is that a gun, when i say why yes it is i hear is it real in a puzzled voice. i love to saw nope it is a special effect done with your computer.

AbNo

imported post

mrguppy wrote:
The one line I love to hear is "Omg, is that a gun?". When I say "Why yes it is.", I hear "Is it real?" in a puzzled voice. I love to say "Nope, it is a special effect done with your computer."

*snicker* Made me think of a recent comic from www.xkcd.com.

photoshops.png

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JB wrote:
I have only been asked one time by a stranger if I am a cop while carrying openly. But I have lost track of the amount of times friends and family members have quiestioned why I carry. One of my sisters brings it up every time she sees me OC. It gets a little old; but I was just wondering if you guys have had similar experiences.

JB - I've said in other threads ... when someone asks me why I carry a gun I have two standard responses. Which I use depends on my mood and on the person I'm talking to.

One - "Cause I can't carry a cop."

Two - "Have you ever been raped at knifepoint? I have. Never again."

Even my stepfather, who fully supports my right to carry, often says "I'm sorry you don't feel safe enough here not to be armed." I've yet to convince him it's not a question of not feeling safe in his home, it's a question of being prepared no matter where I am.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess wrote:

JB - I've said in other threads ... when someone asks me why I carry a gun I have two standard responses.  Which I use depends on my mood and on the person I'm talking to.

One - "Cause I can't carry a cop."

Two - "Have you ever been raped at knifepoint?  I have.  Never again!"

Even my stepfather, who fully supports my right to carry, often says "I'm sorry you don't feel safe enough here not to be armed."  I've yet to convince him it's not a question of not feeling safe in his home, it's a question of being prepared no matter where I am.

First off. I am glad to see your second responce is as forcefull as it should be...Applauding :celebrate I am also angered by what happened to you.

My Wife needs to truly understand that could be a situation she faces in the future. She was out one day shopping W\ the kids by where the Serial rapist struck the same day in Chandler AZ. It could very well have been her.

Thank you for standing up and refusing to be a victim again.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:
The females in my family are completely befuddled by the gun thing. They - predictably - insist that it's some psycho-sexual compensation "issue." I don't even deny it any more. It got to be a running, if not very clever, joke around the house for a while. I onceasked my sister during her last visit if she had seen my "penis" (work/duty weapon) as I was getting ready for work. She assumed it was a Freudian slip, and it"confirmed" her opinion of the whole thing. Then again, she's an intellectual property lawyer who never slums it in common pleas court, or she might appreciate the practical need for guns a bit more.

-ljp
My manhood has nothing to do with what is between my legs. It is about being a man and doing whatever is necessary to protect myself, my family and those around me. I KNOW that I will stand between those I love and whatever is threatening them. Since I'm not Superman nor Chuck Norris, I prefer to have the tools necessary to even the odds. I have found that knowledge and forethought are the best tools and they tell me to wear a seatbelt, have smoke alarms and yes, carry a gun.

LoveMyCountry

P.S. The next time a woman says that you must be compensating for something because you carry a gun, ask her why are women always putting so much into their purses. :lol:

ace1001

imported post

Kids are the ones who ask the questions: Is that a REAL gun.

Yes, it is.

Is it loaded.

Wouldn't be any good if it wasn't.

Sometimes I go into the explanation that guns are tools, they don't make people into something else. They can be safely carried. Just as cars can safely be driven.

Adults always say, "You don't need it."

I get this from people with tons of things they don't need.

I tell them that's the greatest thing about this country, we get to pursue our happiness. It has already save me a course of rabies shots...we're friends for life. Ace

ace1001

imported post

Kids are the ones who ask the questions: Is that a REAL gun.

Yes, it is.

Is it loaded.

Wouldn't be any good if it wasn't.

Sometimes I go into the explanation that guns are tools, they don't make people into something else. They can be safely carried. Just as cars can safely be driven.

Adults always say, "You don't need it."

I get this from people with tons of things they don't need.

I tell them that's the greatest thing about this country, we get to pursue our happiness. It has already save me a course of rabies shots...we're friends for life. Ace

Beau

imported post

expvideo wrote:
I agree with your confusion. I was at a doctor's office the other day and a young couple sat next to me in the waiting room. The guy was the same age as me, 23, and the girl seemed to be around that age as well. They had a9 month old baby, and she was absolutely amazing. She smiled and was the happiest, most outgoingbaby I've ever seen.

So being young and engaged, I'm thinking about how I want to be a dad, and all of those thoughts that young engaged people think. I got to wondering: How can you have something that important and fragile and not have the means to protect it? I mean, seriously, how can anyone truely love a child and not want to be able to guarantee it's safety?

I thought for a moment what a good analogy would be. I'm an analogy kind of person. I decided to compare it to walking around with a clear breifcase full of $100 bills. Everyone can see it, and it's unprotected. Bad people might try to take it from you, or threaten to take it to get something else out of you. Would you walk around the city with something as important to you as $100,000 in a clear case without a gun? Don't you think that baby is more important than the hypothetical breifcase?

Maybe it's a bad analogy, but I just don't understand how anyone can have a child and not want to have the means to protect it.
I like your analogy and agree.

tnshooter

State Researcher
imported post

I was oc'ing today in taco bell. after I had ordered the younger girl/lady at the register asked me " do you always carry a gun in taco bell"? my reply was I always carry a gun everywhere I go. she had a some what puzzled/deep in thought kinda look then she said with all these shootings its probably a good idea and smiled. the customers behind me didn't say anything just looked wide eyed and confused.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

expvideo wrote:
There was a time when there were no guns. The strong overpowered the weak, women were raped by men, and children were murdered along with the rest of the family because they were the wrong religion or race.

With the presence of guns, everyone has the same ability to enjoy their lives and live as they wish without fear of the above things.
to the point in bold: not when its a bunch of gestapo kicking in your door at 1:00am searching for things at the wrong house or there to drag you away for a crime that shoudlnt even BE a crime...

then you are outgunned, outnumbered, and left to the mercy of the devils in blue.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:
Kendo_Bunny wrote:
Whenever anyone asks me about my desire to own a gun (just two more days!) and accuses me of preparing for something that will "never happen", I ask a few questions:

-Do you carry a tool kit and spare tire in your car?
-Do you have a charged cell phone, candles, and a battery-powered radio?
-Do you have casual sex without condoms? Do you have committed sex without birth control when you aren't trying to concieve?
-Do you give out your credit card or Social Security numbers over unsecure channels?
-Do you routinely walk down dark alleys in big cities completely alone?
-Do you buy more than one roll of toilet paper at a time?

Usually the rejoiner is that 'Well, guns don't make mugging victims safer.'
'You just said me being armed was silly, because I was never going to get mugged.'

I just noticed that I can only answer 2 of these "correctly" myself, and I still carry.

-ljp

Me too. Which leads me to wonder, which two did you get right....lol:what: