• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Best Buy

Penturner

imported post

Last night I was shopping in BEST BUY on Independence Blvd in Va Beach. After about 30 minutes I was approached by someone with a little badge that said "Gen Manager". UnfortunatelyI didn't get his name. Anyway, first he asked me if I was a LEO. When I replied in the negative, he told me that people with guns that are not LEO's are not allowed in the store. I advised him that State Law allows me to carry virtually wherever I want (with exceptions) and he had no signs on the door stating that firearms are prohibited, and that by asking me to leave HE would be violating MY rights as a citizen. He didn't care, and not wanting an altercation at the time (for several reasons) including the 80 year old neighbor that I was shopping with.

Question: doesanyone have a standard letter that you send to corporations for cases like this that quote chapter & verse of State law? How should I proceed?

Regards,
Larry Korn

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I also shopped in a Best Buy store yesterday, but I was in Woodbridge, Virginia. I was open carrying my 1911. Nobody said anything to me other than the usual pleasantries.

On a side note, the clerk who checked me out was a 20-something hispanic fellow covered in tattoos on hisarms, neck, and even his shaved head. He had a large "13" tattooed on the web of hisleft hand too. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here, but wouldn't Best Buy be better off if they didn't hire obvious gang members?

I also carried in the DMV yesterday for 45 minutes while I renewed my VDL and car registration. Only one comment, and that was as I was leaving: "Nice piece!"

Penturner

imported post

I've beenOC'ing my Glock 30ever since the fiasco at the Norfolk City Council meeting. Prior to that I concealed. I was just getting used to OC, with virtually nobody even noticing. Then the guy at Best Buy had to get tough, of well, it isn't going to stop me. I guess I have to be more cautious about where I OC, and then CC when discretion requires it. :cuss:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
...the clerk who checked me out was a 20-something hispanic fellow covered in tattoos on hisarms, neck, and even his shaved head. He had a large "13" tattooed on the web of hisleft hand too. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here, but wouldn't Best Buy be better off if they didn't hire obvious gang members?

Not only are you jumping to conclusions...you're exposing your inconsistency in your inclinations about ordinary rightsofbusinesses and citizensother than yourself.

It's always amusing when people stalwartly insist on their own rights but are amazinglyquick to objectto or casually overlooksomeone else's...:(

vrwmiller

imported post

I have carried in Best Buy on multiple occassions, even running into the police chief (he was off-duty and in street clothes) on one occassion. I've had clerks ask me if I am LEO, but thought nothing of it when I responded indicating I was not LEO.

In Virginia, yes...we have a right to carry virtually everywhere, barring certain exemptions. One of those exemptions is where the property owner or their designee indicates one is not permitted to be there with a firearm. I've never been asked to leave, but if I am I plan to respond by leaving. Not saying a word in protest, not "educating" the clerk and/or management on the carry laws in Virginia because at that particular time, they don't care what the law says and they are fully within their rights to ask one to leave.

It's afterwards, when I will call and/or write the Manager, General Manager, or even corporate headqurters that I will indicate what Virginia laws are and ask for their policy with regard to the lawful carry of firearms on their premises. I will also let it be known that if they choose to continue to exercise that right to not permit me on the property with my firearm, then I will exercise my right to spend my money elsewhere. Perhaps I may add that I will ensure that all 6500 members of the VCDL Alert will also be notified that the retailer is anti-gun. :)

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Not only are you jumping to conclusions...you're exposing your inconsistency in your inclinations about ordinary rightsofbusinesses and citizensother than yourself.

It's always amusing when people stalwartly insist on their own rights but are amazinglyquick to objectto or casually overlooksomeone else's...:(

I think you're jumping to conclusions about me too, Hank, and if you had seen this guy I'd bet every penny in my bank account that MS-13 would have popped into your mind too.

I never said that he didn't have the same rights that I do or that Best Buy shouldn't have hired him and placed him where he was, I only questioned the wisdom of Best Buy putting this guy behind a checkout stand. MS-13 is one of the most violent and ruthless gangs in existence and Best Buyputting someone who looks like they're a member of that ganginto a customer service position might possibly intimidate, frighten or offend customers.

smccomas

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
I have carried in Best Buy on multiple occassions, even running into the police chief (he was off-duty and in street clothes) on one occassion. I've had clerks ask me if I am LEO, but thought nothing of it when I responded indicating I was not LEO.

In Virginia, yes...we have a right to carry virtually everywhere, barring certain exemptions. One of those exemptions is where the property owner or their designee indicates one is not permitted to be there with a firearm. I've never been asked to leave, but if I am I plan to respond by leaving. Not saying a word in protest, not "educating" the clerk and/or management on the carry laws in Virginia because at that particular time, they don't care what the law says and they are fully within their rights to ask one to leave.

It's afterwards, when I will call and/or write the Manager, General Manager, or even corporate headqurters that I will indicate what Virginia laws are and ask for their policy with regard to the lawful carry of firearms on their premises. I will also let it be known that if they choose to continue to exercise that right to not permit me on the property with my firearm, then I will exercise my right to spend my money elsewhere. Perhaps I may add that I will ensure that all 6500 members of the VCDL Alert will also be notified that the retailer is anti-gun. :)
+1 The way I look at it My 2nd amendment rights do not trump another persons personal property rights. The manager may not "Own" the store there arein charge of the propertythey ask me to leave then I leave. Then follow up later with the letters.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
HankT wrote:

I think you're jumping to conclusions about me too, Hank, and if you had seen this guy I'd bet every penny in my bank account that MS-13 would have popped into your mind too.

I never said that he didn't have the same rights that I do or that Best Buy shouldn't have hired him and placed him where he was, I only questioned the wisdom of Best Buy putting this guy behind a checkout stand. MS-13 is one of the most violent and ruthless gangs in existence and Best Buyputting someone who looks like they're a member of that ganginto a customer service position might possibly intimidate, frighten or offend customers.

Can you see the parallel of your thinking in the unduly discriminatory and paranoid conclusions that the anti-gunners make about people who own, use and carry guns?

We make fun of the antis who make wild extrapolations that would serve as a basis for denying our rights. We ridicule them....

Then, some of us, turn right around and use the same simple-minded causal modeling to make unwarranted and casual judgments against others.

I urge you to write and complain to Best Buy with your concerns about the tattooed Hispanic guy. Who knows, you might save some lives...:uhoh:

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I've openly carried at the Best Buy stores in Short Pump and Glen Allen/VCC multiple times without incident (including yesterday). We've been through this before - Best Buy has no corporate policy against guns. With that said, an individual manager could always ask you leave on their own volition.

FogRider

imported post

I've never had problems in the Aurora BB. I will be going in today as a matter of fact. I try to be discrete when I am in lager stores though, so that may be helping me.

muzz3256

imported post

Worked at Besy Buy for 3 years. I had a issue once, contacted the district office, problem gone. Go back in there and ask the man at the front doors to speak with the general manager ( there is only one in the store), you can usually find them on weekdays during business hours, or on sunday when the prices change. Get his/her name, tell them that you want the name of the District Customer Service Manager, and the District General Manager, then ask him/her for a phone number to the district office. After that, I would inform him that you are contacting the district office (this will peak his attention), and that you are going to inform them that he is violating Best Buy policy. Best Buy's policy is to follow the laws of the state that the store is in. Once you contact the District office, ask the district office, ask them for the name and contact numbers for the Regional General Manager and the Regional Customer Service Manager, and keep these incase the district office blows you off.

Xeni

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
I also shopped in a Best Buy store yesterday, but I was in Woodbridge, Virginia. I was open carrying my 1911. Nobody said anything to me other than the usual pleasantries.

On a side note, the clerk who checked me out was a 20-something hispanic fellow covered in tattoos on hisarms, neck, and even his shaved head. He had a large "13" tattooed on the web of hisleft hand too. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here, but wouldn't Best Buy be better off if they didn't hire obvious gang members?

I also carried in the DMV yesterday for 45 minutes while I renewed my VDL and car registration. Only one comment, and that was as I was leaving: "Nice piece!"
I've been to the same Best Buy store and been serviced by the same cashier. He was very nice and pleasant and made a small joke about my wife's purse which we both thought was funny.
My wife also noted that one of the tattoo's (around his neck/throat area) was her name. She thought it was kinda cool and she commented that her name was on his chest. :celebrate
Anyways, I don't like it when people judge me for openly carrying my Glock 23 and I don't intend on juding people just because they've been inked. Hell, the next step is saying that the military is a 'gang' and members of it being inked proves it! Non-sense.

XCon

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
HankT wrote:

Gangs are human too? Poverty, lack of self esteem, no family support, no jobs all led to joining the gang. We should give them chance to come clean. Just because he/she has a similar tattoo doesnt mean he/she would do harm. I would look for actions, behaviors, attitudes to see that individual as criminal. Besides best buy does chek background and drug test.

W.E.G.

imported post

I think it is VERY unlikely that the cashier was MS-13.

Those guys DO NOT work retail.

The manager was a jerk though. Definitely run him through the corporate food chain.

VAopencarry

imported post

Be advised you have the right to carry and the manager has the right to ask you to leave. Don't start a debate with them. Ask if it is corporate policy then ask for the number to corporate, then leave.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
I think it is VERY unlikely that the cashier was MS-13.

Those guys DO NOT work retail.
Okay, so I jumped to conclusions. Time for me to...

eating_crow.jpg

zoom6zoom

imported post

Best Buy has NO corporate policy regarding customers with firearms. The
manual does not specifically prohibit them (for employees) but is called "inappropriate behavior which could result in termination".

The corporate headquarters in Minnesota are posted and have metal detectors.

The General Manager at the VB store is Tim Edwards.