• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To Open Carry . . .A First Aid Kit?

First Aid Poll

• How many among us open carry firearms?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • are overdue for First Aid/CPR Training?

• consider it dorky to open carry 1st aid kit?

• know first aid for a choking child?

• know first aid for somebody who is shot?

• Total voters

The Donkster

imported post

Here's the soul of the poll:

On family vacations and trips to gun shows, my father -- a medical examiner and long time gun dealer -- used to open carry his black physicians bag, and concealed carry a revolver.

I thought the revolver was pretty cool -- pretty bad-ass. I never thought much about the physician's bag.

But he used the physicians bag -- and his first aid skills -- many times: to sew up the gouges we boys occassionally inflicted on ourselves at play -- to checkblood pressurea few times when we'd spent too much time out in the sun.Once, when I was choking on a piece of steak, I think he saved my life with his basic knowledge of just where to whack me between the shoulder blades.

As many times as he had to use that black physicians bag,my dad never had to draw hispistol in self-defense.

So I kind of wonder about the self-styled Palladins among us who carry pistols for "safety," but haven't taken a First Aid or CPR course in years, and don't carry a first aid kit in their cars.

Are you among them?

Legba

imported post

I had the Basic EMT certification that's since expired, but I'm familiar with technique still. Yes, I agree that such knowledge is indispensable to anyone really concerned with safety/security. I also have a HAM radio license, and HAMs should likewise familiarize themselves with the "wilderness protocol" to scan for emergency transmissions at certain times and frequencies when out and about (it saves batteries compared to continuous SOS transmissions), etc. Guns are just one of many tools to the survival-inclined.

-ljp

FogRider

imported post

The Donkster wrote:
So I kind of wonder about the self-styled Palladins among us who carry pistols for "safety," but haven't taken a First Aid or CPR course in years, and don't carry a first aid kit in their cars.

Are you among them?
I have a FA kit in my truck, and basic med training is something I intend to get but unfortunately haven't dad the time to do. And I don't carry for safety, I carry for self defense. The idea is to keep myself safe by inflicting injury's on someone else before I need first aid.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I keep a blowout kit in my car (quikclot, and bandages). I used to be a licensed EMT as well, not to mention basic combat first aid I learned in the Marines. I figure if you are prepared for a gunfight you'd better be prepared for the aftermath.

bourneshooter

imported post

I have a basic first aid kit that sits in my go bag or my cargo pants pockets, at all times. The go bag is with me pretty much wherever I go. The only "official" medical training I have had was from when I took the Dept. of Homeland Insecurity CERT class a few years ago.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I really should do something similar now that I have a 1 and 4 year-old... However, I've watched enough ER and other medical dramas in my lifetime to have been able to save my wife who was choking on a piece of lamb and couldn't breath with the heimlich.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Might seem like a "gear-queer," but I bet you'd be singing a different song if I walked by and you were bleeding to death.

I took my re-cert 2 weeks ago for:

A. Adult First Aid

B. Enviornmental Emergencies

C. Adult/Child CPR With Mask

D. Adult/Child AED

E. Infant CPR With Mask

That is from the American Heart Association and good through 2009

-----

Along with that training, I also carry the following on a daily:

- Glock19/Surefire X200-A

- 2 Extra mags, along with the 1 in the weapon

- 90 Lumine LED flashlight with an internal laser

- Flint and steel to start a fire if needed

- S&W 3' tanto folder 1/4 serrated

- "Ventilated Operator Kit" or V.O.K. for short http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_118&products_id=3130

that includes the following:

(1) ORIGINAL S.O.E. - IFAK Pouch
(1) CELOX - Hemostatic Agent - 35g Pack
(1) E.M.T. Shears - 7 Inch Stainless - Black
(1) Cinch Tight Compression "H" Bandage
(1) TK-4 Tourni-Kwik (3” wide 40" long Rugged Combat Tourniquet)
(1) Primed Gauze (crinkle cotton)
(1) Nasopharyngeal Airway (30FR Robertazzi Style)
(1) 14ga x 3 ¼ Catheter (sterile)
(1) Alcohol Prep Pad
(2) Safety Pins (2”) multipurpose
(1) Duct Tape (2”x100” roll)
(1) Set Nitrile N-Dex Gloves

-CPR Microshield http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_175&products_id=2745

- Bolin Chest Seal: http://exmedsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Suction.html

- Cinch Tight -Catastrophic Trauma Kit http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_118&products_id=2136

- First Responder Holster Set with Reflectors http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_175&products_id=2744

- standard "boo boo kit" normal bandaids, alc pads, neosporen, burn cream, Eye-wash, crazy glue, medical tape, etc.

- Dual Ice - instant ice pack

- 1x etra Cinch Tight- "Cinch Tight" Universal Trauma Bandage. also called an "Israeli" bandage

- 1x etra CELOX - Hemostatic Agent - 15g Pack

- Aleve tablets x100 (220mg)

- Bear tablets x100

- 2x extra Nitrile N-DEX Gloves

- 1 Red and 1 Black "Sharpie"

- 1x Oral Rehydration Salts

- 1 liter fresh water (sealed)

and I'm soon to add a couple epi-pens to that list.

This all fits onto a backpack "MAXPEDITION - Typhoon GearSlinger." http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_82&products_id=2862

----

I've read several books, watched a lot of DVD's, taken online courses, and constantly read medical manuals along with gun manuals and tactical traning or various types.

We all have spent valuable time learning how to take people out of this world, I believe its your moral obligation to learn how to keep them here. You are more likely to save someone's life with your medical training than you are to kill or seriously hurt someone with your weapon training.

Carry your gun! and a first aid kit.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I'm not saying everyone needs to Open Carry a First aid kit, but the V.O.K. I mentioned will fit in a standard B.D.U. cargo pocket. Add something to cut with, and you can pretty much take care of anything until EMS gets there. Carry some form of first aid in your truck/car along with a fire extinguisher and road flares. It doesn't have tobe as elaborate as mine, but anything is better than nothing.

I see vehicle accidents EVERY DAY in Las Vegas, and most of the time I am somehow involved in helping those peopleuntil EMS gets there. Even if its just to call 9/11 and be a good witness.

Carry your gun, and a first aid kit!

Sitrep

imported post

I don't have much in the way of first aid training, but I could wing a little unskilled triage if necessary. Putting pressure on wounds, a Heimlich here or there, and some poorly performed CPR.

Much first aid equipment can be improvised if necessary. A self defense weapon can also be improvised, but not nearly as well as a good firearm.

Also, in a defensive situation, you can be grievously wounded in a mater of a few seconds or less. Whereas, in a medical emergency, if I don’t have a few seconds to come up with a solution, the injured party just isn’t going to survive.:(

All of this, of course, is just an excuse for the fact that I’m too lazy to learn more emergency medicine.

To The Donkster I have to say: if the boys needed stitches that often, maybe your dad should have provided more oversight:), and you're not supposed to "whack on the back" for choking:shock: (assuming this was a while back, it would have been proper procedure).

The Donkster

imported post

Sitrep wrote:
To The Donkster I have to say: if the boys needed stitches that often, maybe your dad should have provided more oversight:), and you're not supposed to "whack on the back" for choking:shock: (assuming this was a while back, it would have been proper procedure).

I can't think of one time dad could have saved stitches orbandagesunless he locked us up in our rooms.

Some kids these days seem to shed just as much blood: now, perhaps a bit less running through the woods, or improvised baseball; more in the skate-board parks.

As far as I know those were the "pre-Heimlich" days: they say you are not supposed towhack choking people's backsanymore because you can knock the blockage farther down . . .except with infants: I think you are still supposed to flip them upside down and thump them.

Or is that technique now reserved only for government press secretaries:question:

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Volunteer Fireman and Basic EMT certification that is valid. CPR cert.I have a pretty good working knowledge of first aid I believe. I do carry a kit in my truck (which I must admit is poor foresight, but is not with me as of right now because my truck is being worked on, and I left it in the toolbox), as well as a JIC Mossberg behind the seat.

I am pretty prone to accidents and as I workin 1) a bar, 2)a barbecue joint, 3)a custom car shop, my accidents tend to end up in pretty decent cuts and abrasions, so I have to use my first aid kit pretty regularly so I keep it stocked up just in case.

expvideo

imported post

I keep a first aid kit in my car along with the rest of my survival kit. I have a first aid kit that is well set up to treat a gunshot wound, but I never take it with me unless I'mwearing kevlar, and that doesn't happen much :D

nickerj1

imported post

If you're certified in all this stuff, and then shoot someone in self defense. Are you then obligated to try and save them?

I wonder how that would look in court. Well, he shot the guy in self defense, and then promptly saved his life with his medical expertise.

LEO 229

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
If you're certified in all this stuff, and then shoot someone in self defense. Are you then obligated to try and save them?

I wonder how that would look in court. Well, he shot the guy in self defense, and then promptly saved his life with his medical expertise.

Was watching TV today and they had cops on video shooting guys that started shooting at them after car chase.

The cops said that it felt strange to shoot a guy wanting to murder them.... and then have to try and save his life afterward.

As far as I know.... Civilians are under no obligation to render aid.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:

You are not obligated to do a damn thing but call 911. If you shoot someone and they are laying there bleeding to death, back away and let them bleed. If you had to shoot them, it was because you were 100% sure that you were about to die and shooting them was your only option.

Anyonewhocarries a gun andnot a first aid kit, either in their vechile or on their personis just stupid.

I'm about done with this board... I'm moving soon to getoffthex.com permanently.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Hope you don't leave.
I think anyones obligation to render aid to an attacker is solely a personal decision. Personally I don't rule out giving first aid because if I have to shoot someone, it is to stop them from hurting me and not because they deserve to die for trying to hurt or kill me. I hope I can be humanitarian enough to help an attacker after I have shot him.

This brings to mind the Army medic who was shot by a sniper in Iraq last year. His armor stopped the bullet and his unit attacked and captured the snipers. This medic ended up treating the man who shot him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pt6c35dvtY