Thread: Saved by Open Carry where its is illegal to Carry at all.

Post imported post

And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939

Free Flight

Post imported post

I know how you feel. I refuse to go to Md., or DC for that matter! I only go where I can legally OC or CC.

Post imported post

A right cannot be legislated against by its very definition. If you have a right to self defense, then it is yours forever regardless of what anyone or any group tells you. This includes government. Rights are permanent and immutable.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Particle wrote:
    A right cannot be legislated against by its very definition. If you have a right to self defense, then it is yours forever regardless of what anyone or any group tells you. This includes government. Rights are permanent and immutable.
    Quoted for truth.

However, I'm guilty of allowing such legislation to deter me from exercising my rights. I don't want to end up serving 3-5 yrs; it would ruin my plans to flee California.

You have my respect for not giving in to the intimidation and opression. I hope you never have to face prosecution (persecution) for exercising your rights.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

As long as you do realize you were breaking the law, and you chose to do that... more power to you.

You risked your occupation and your freedom to flaunt MD laws. It seems it worked out for you. From your story, I don't see any threat; I think it just as likely the "person" was there for theft.

But I am glad there are some who will make that decision.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Glad things turned out okay for you. i.e. you were safe and not prosecuted/persecuted in any way.

While I'm not an advocate of breaking the law, I must admit that I have carried in "no carry zones" myself a couple of times because I feel my right to protect myself and my family more important than laws that make me/us feel unsafe. But open-carrying in a "no carry zone" I have never done. I try to obey firearms laws at all times and avoid places where I can't legally carry... but sometimes situations force me to make a personal choice and take a risk.

For some of us who DO carry in places we shouldn't (but try to avoid it), I'm sure the steets haven't run red with blood.

Post imported post

I would advise you to delete your post

You admitted doing something not allowed (even though it should). However should u encounter an issue in the future, you never know if this post will be pulled up.

This is a public message board open to all. Be careful

Post imported post

Excellent post - glad to hear everything worked out OK for you.

My family is ALWAYS protected.

Post imported post

Freeflight wrote:
    I have the outside doors open as I am working in a warehouse without HVAC, out of the corner of my eyes I saw a "Person"walk by one of the open doors. I continue working but paying close attention to the open cargo door. a bit later he walked by again. (Real Slow...) looking in the door, I don't believe he saw me sitting at the server, I stood up and asked him if I could help him... at that timeI noticed some more "Citizens" outside by the tree-line... He stammered a bit and finally asked if we where hiring...I told him no, he then wanted a Application! I told him he would have to come back normal business hours... At this point he's coming in!! I told him to STOP! I think at that moment he saw my sidearm (I may have done a security feel, been trying to break that habit.. sigh....) He stops, turns and runs out,I heard him tellhis buds, "Man, crackers got a Gun!"
    Is it illegal to have a firearm on your person in a (I am guessing) a privately-owned warehouse in Maryland? If he was armed in a Gummint warehouse, then I could see a problem. It's not like he was on a public roadway.

Anyway, I do not have business in Maryland, so you won't see me going there if I can avoid it.

I am also guessing that Freeflight left out the part about how his gun was transported to the privately-ownedwarehouse located in Marylandsecurely encased, unloaded, and in the trunk... Right? <wink>

No one said it, but isn't it interesting that the job applicant(s) did not call the SWAT Team to respond to a CWAG call?

Post imported post

Freeflight wrote:
    ...by 1:30 AM the following day I am still setting up the system, I have the outside doors open as I am working in a warehouse without HVAC, out of the corner of my eyes I saw a "Person"walk by one of the open doors. I continue working but paying close attention to the open cargo door. a bit later he walked by again. (Real Slow...) looking in the door, I don't believe he saw me sitting at the server, I stood up and asked him if I could help him... at that timeI noticed some more "Citizens" outside by the tree-line... He stammered a bit and finally asked if we where hiring...I told him no, he then wanted a Application! I told him he would have to come back normal business hours... At this point he's coming in!! I told him to STOP! I think at that moment he saw my sidearm (I may have done a security feel, been trying to break that habit.. sigh....) He stops, turns and runs out,I heard him tellhis buds, "Man, crackers got a Gun!"

I didn't see them again, I made NO report to the GESTAPO in MD either, I'm sure I would have been charged with some crime... Having the audacity to be able to protect myself…

Ccomments are welcome!
    How many guys were there, total?

Why didn't you report it to the police? If those guys are likely thieves/assailants, as you believe, you're just going to let them off---so they can go and thieve or assail some other people/time/place?

I'm trying to understand why you would not report some suspicious lunkheads who are probably criminals...

Doesn't make sense.

Something about your story....something missing....

Post imported post

And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939

Free Flight

Post imported post

Wow.. imagine trying to be free in the so-called "Free State".

I hate that I even have to drive through that place on the way to Pennsyltucky.

Post imported post

Free Flight

Post imported post

Freeflight wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Freeflight wrote:
    ...by 1:30 AM the following day I am still setting up the system, I have the outside doors open as I am working in a warehouse without HVAC, out of the corner of my eyes I saw a "Person"walk by one of the open doors. I continue working but paying close attention to the open cargo door. a bit later he walked by again. (Real Slow...) looking in the door, I don't believe he saw me sitting at the server, I stood up and asked him if I could help him... at that timeI noticed some more "Citizens" outside by the tree-line... He stammered a bit and finally asked if we where hiring...I told him no, he then wanted a Application! I told him he would have to come back normal business hours... At this point he's coming in!! I told him to STOP! I think at that moment he saw my sidearm (I may have done a security feel, been trying to break that habit.. sigh....) He stops, turns and runs out,I heard him tellhis buds, "Man, crackers got a Gun!"

I didn't see them again, I made NO report to the GESTAPO in MD either, I'm sure I would have been charged with some crime... Having the audacity to be able to protect myself…

Ccomments are welcome!
    How many guys were there, total?

Why didn't you report it to the police? If those guys are likely thieves/assailants, as you believe, you're just going to let them off---so they can go and thieve or assail some other people/time/place?

I'm trying to understand why you would not report some suspicious lunkheads who are probably criminals...

Doesn't make sense.

Something about your story....something missing....

They seemed like... well just inner city kids. Maybe seeing what they could snatch. I neverfelt threatened.the other kids (I really believethat’s what they where... kids 14-18 years old but I don't know for sure) 3-5 of them standing over a ways...couldn’t see them that well... with the "Job applicant" doing a pre-entry expedition perhaps.

as to why I didn't report it?!:shock: No time for Cops, I was under the "Gun" myself to get the system on-line by monday morning. No foul no harm in my opinion.

And you are right, there's something missing....something un-quantifiable...to the story and itmay be that I didn't report it...no proof...of any kind? Had I been home in VA I most likely would have reported it. But not there...

then there is the "Cracker's got a gun" comment that seems well way out of place even to me... I Can't reconcile it.

Could it also be that you don't know me, nor I you? That there is no earned trust between us...
    No, I don't think that is it.

What's missing from the story is the details--details that would distinguish it from a somewhat fancifully embellished Internet Gun Story (IGS)...

Also, what's in it. The loose ends...the key spots of vagueness...the contradictions...

Even a cursory reading at arm's length identifies those...

A good cautionary tale, I'd say...but maybe not ethnographic....

Post imported post

Free Flight

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

For your own sake and the sake of others, ignore HankT. The (wo)man has a few screws loose.

Post imported post

You have a good basis for a creative short story. However unless you are attempting to describe the protagonist you should follow English spelling and grammar rules to make your work believable.

You don't indicate why our hero decided not to carry concealed. Now of course OC is necessary to have a story entitled "Man, Cracker's Got a Gun!" but revealing to the reader why this choice was made (given the risk of being pulled over in Maryland) would indicate whether the the main character is arrogant or simply stupid (or perhaps both).

Given that the tone of the story indicates that the protagonist is a racist, you might also consider providing some back story explaining how he came to be who he is today. You could also make him black but then you would need to change the title to...well, you know.

All in all, not bad for a first draft. About a B-. Keep working at it and post your best work for review.

Post imported post

Two more things:

1 - You should post in the forum related to the content. Where you are from, were born, or first got laid is not relevant. Since this story is set in Maryland, that forum would be the correct location.

2 - While there is such a thing as a "gun sight," your usage indicates that "gun site" is appropriate. You could also have a "gun cite" but that does not appear to be what you meant.

Post imported post

Free Flight

Post imported post

Free Flight

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I missed in your initial post that you own the warehouse.

If you think you can talk your way out of an open carry violation in Maryland, I hope you go to law school and use that talent to help many others. I don't know anyone who could do that.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Dude, if you're willing to risk jail to exercise you're rights (something which I greatly admire), why don't you just move?? It's cheaper to move.

Post imported post

Freeflight wrote:
    Goood Grief I din't know I would get graded! Sheeesh.

Next Time I will change the names, Venue and send it off to the proofreader first.

.not.
    Well, this forum isn't exactly a bastion of English grammar rectitude. But SouthernBoy just made a point in another thread where a fellow member's writing skillz were an issue. I'll port it over here to respond to your flippant reply to critique. Maybe SoutherBoy's obviously correctand helpful criticism will have some effect here.

SouthernBoy wrote:
    S&W1911 wrote:
    sorry i hated english class
    Just a simple comment.

You may have hated your "english class", but by now, I can assure you, it's coming back to haunt you. You are, and will be judged, by how well you speak and write. Do yourself a big favor and learn to do this better than your peers. You will be surprised how impressions of and about you will change.

Again, just some friendly advice.

Me, I don't worry very much about punctuation and grammar although the better it is the better I like it. I care about Quality. And accuracy. I think your story is, um, curiouslylacking in those areas. It sounds like a typical IGS to me, aimed at those who will swallow it whole...

Audience like, um, the good Reverend...