• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saved by Open Carry where its is illegal to Carry at all.

Particle

imported post

A right cannot be legislated against by its very definition. If you have a right to self defense, then it is yours forever regardless of what anyone or any group tells you. This includes government. Rights are permanent and immutable.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Particle wrote:
A right cannot be legislated against by its very definition. If you have a right to self defense, then it is yours forever regardless of what anyone or any group tells you. This includes government. Rights are permanent and immutable.
Quoted for truth.

However, I'm guilty of allowing such legislation to deter me from exercising my rights. I don't want to end up serving 3-5 yrs; it would ruin my plans to flee California.

You have my respect for not giving in to the intimidation and opression. I hope you never have to face prosecution (persecution) for exercising your rights.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As long as you do realize you were breaking the law, and you chose to do that... more power to you.

You risked your occupation and your freedom to flaunt MD laws. It seems it worked out for you. From your story, I don't see any threat; I think it just as likely the "person" was there for theft.

But I am glad there are some who will make that decision.

72Malibu

imported post

Glad things turned out okay for you. i.e. you were safe and not prosecuted/persecuted in any way.

While I'm not an advocate of breaking the law, I must admit that I have carried in "no carry zones" myself a couple of times because I feel my right to protect myself and my family more important than laws that make me/us feel unsafe. But open-carrying in a "no carry zone" I have never done. I try to obey firearms laws at all times and avoid places where I can't legally carry... but sometimes situations force me to make a personal choice and take a risk.

For some of us who DO carry in places we shouldn't (but try to avoid it), I'm sure the steets haven't run red with blood.

yankees98a

imported post

I would advise you to delete your post

You admitted doing something not allowed (even though it should). However should u encounter an issue in the future, you never know if this post will be pulled up.

This is a public message board open to all. Be careful

XD Owner

imported post

Freeflight wrote:
I have the outside doors open as I am working in a warehouse without HVAC, out of the corner of my eyes I saw a "Person"walk by one of the open doors. I continue working but paying close attention to the open cargo door. a bit later he walked by again. (Real Slow...) looking in the door, I don't believe he saw me sitting at the server, I stood up and asked him if I could help him... at that timeI noticed some more "Citizens" outside by the tree-line... He stammered a bit and finally asked if we where hiring...I told him no, he then wanted a Application! I told him he would have to come back normal business hours... At this point he's coming in!! I told him to STOP! I think at that moment he saw my sidearm (I may have done a security feel, been trying to break that habit.. sigh....) He stops, turns and runs out,I heard him tellhis buds, "Man, crackers got a Gun!"
Is it illegal to have a firearm on your person in a (I am guessing) a privately-owned warehouse in Maryland? If he was armed in a Gummint warehouse, then I could see a problem. It's not like he was on a public roadway.

Anyway, I do not have business in Maryland, so you won't see me going there if I can avoid it.

I am also guessing that Freeflight left out the part about how his gun was transported to the privately-ownedwarehouse located in Marylandsecurely encased, unloaded, and in the trunk... Right? <wink>

No one said it, but isn't it interesting that the job applicant(s) did not call the SWAT Team to respond to a CWAG call?

:dude:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Freeflight wrote:
...by 1:30 AM the following day I am still setting up the system, I have the outside doors open as I am working in a warehouse without HVAC, out of the corner of my eyes I saw a "Person"walk by one of the open doors. I continue working but paying close attention to the open cargo door. a bit later he walked by again. (Real Slow...) looking in the door, I don't believe he saw me sitting at the server, I stood up and asked him if I could help him... at that timeI noticed some more "Citizens" outside by the tree-line... He stammered a bit and finally asked if we where hiring...I told him no, he then wanted a Application! I told him he would have to come back normal business hours... At this point he's coming in!! I told him to STOP! I think at that moment he saw my sidearm (I may have done a security feel, been trying to break that habit.. sigh....) He stops, turns and runs out,I heard him tellhis buds, "Man, crackers got a Gun!"

I didn't see them again, I made NO report to the GESTAPO in MD either, I'm sure I would have been charged with some crime... Having the audacity to be able to protect myself…

Ccomments are welcome!

How many guys were there, total?

Why didn't you report it to the police? If those guys are likely thieves/assailants, as you believe, you're just going to let them off---so they can go and thieve or assail some other people/time/place?

I'm trying to understand why you would not report some suspicious lunkheads who are probably criminals...:(

Doesn't make sense.

Something about your story....something missing....

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow.. imagine trying to be free in the so-called "Free State".

I hate that I even have to drive through that place on the way to Pennsyltucky.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Freeflight wrote:
HankT wrote:
Freeflight wrote:
...by 1:30 AM the following day I am still setting up the system, I have the outside doors open as I am working in a warehouse without HVAC, out of the corner of my eyes I saw a "Person"walk by one of the open doors. I continue working but paying close attention to the open cargo door. a bit later he walked by again. (Real Slow...) looking in the door, I don't believe he saw me sitting at the server, I stood up and asked him if I could help him... at that timeI noticed some more "Citizens" outside by the tree-line... He stammered a bit and finally asked if we where hiring...I told him no, he then wanted a Application! I told him he would have to come back normal business hours... At this point he's coming in!! I told him to STOP! I think at that moment he saw my sidearm (I may have done a security feel, been trying to break that habit.. sigh....) He stops, turns and runs out,I heard him tellhis buds, "Man, crackers got a Gun!"

I didn't see them again, I made NO report to the GESTAPO in MD either, I'm sure I would have been charged with some crime... Having the audacity to be able to protect myself…

Ccomments are welcome!

How many guys were there, total?

Why didn't you report it to the police? If those guys are likely thieves/assailants, as you believe, you're just going to let them off---so they can go and thieve or assail some other people/time/place?

I'm trying to understand why you would not report some suspicious lunkheads who are probably criminals...:(

Doesn't make sense.

Something about your story....something missing....

They seemed like... well just inner city kids. Maybe seeing what they could snatch. I neverfelt threatened.the other kids (I really believethat’s what they where... kids 14-18 years old but I don't know for sure) 3-5 of them standing over a ways...couldn’t see them that well... with the "Job applicant" doing a pre-entry expedition perhaps.

as to why I didn't report it?!:shock: No time for Cops, I was under the "Gun" myself to get the system on-line by monday morning. No foul no harm in my opinion.

And you are right, there's something missing....something un-quantifiable...to the story and itmay be that I didn't report it...no proof...of any kind? Had I been home in VA I most likely would have reported it. But not there...

then there is the "Cracker's got a gun" comment that seems well way out of place even to me... I Can't reconcile it.

Could it also be that you don't know me, nor I you? That there is no earned trust between us...

No, I don't think that is it.

What's missing from the story is the details--details that would distinguish it from a somewhat fancifully embellished Internet Gun Story (IGS)...

Also, what's in it. The loose ends...the key spots of vagueness...the contradictions...

Even a cursory reading at arm's length identifies those...

A good cautionary tale, I'd say...but maybe not ethnographic....

apjonas

imported post

You have a good basis for a creative short story. However unless you are attempting to describe the protagonist you should follow English spelling and grammar rules to make your work believable.

You don't indicate why our hero decided not to carry concealed. Now of course OC is necessary to have a story entitled "Man, Cracker's Got a Gun!" but revealing to the reader why this choice was made (given the risk of being pulled over in Maryland) would indicate whether the the main character is arrogant or simply stupid (or perhaps both).

Given that the tone of the story indicates that the protagonist is a racist, you might also consider providing some back story explaining how he came to be who he is today. You could also make him black but then you would need to change the title to...well, you know.

All in all, not bad for a first draft. About a B-. Keep working at it and post your best work for review.

apjonas

imported post

Two more things:

1 - You should post in the forum related to the content. Where you are from, were born, or first got laid is not relevant. Since this story is set in Maryland, that forum would be the correct location.

2 - While there is such a thing as a "gun sight," your usage indicates that "gun site" is appropriate. You could also have a "gun cite" but that does not appear to be what you meant.